Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658964 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Project Augustus
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2015, 10:55:55 am »

There's a good theory floating around on the forums that makes me think it's a space Grand Strategy:

Spoiler:  for length (click to show/hide)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2015, 12:27:52 pm »

4. Terrain truly matters in this game.
    Again, this could mean pretty much any game set anywhere. Many point out historical battles in classical antiquity, but there have been matters where terrain matters in wars in all eras. How would it fit a game set in space then? Well, if you see celestial bodies such as planets as the terrain, then itt's a dominant feature of colonisation, production, trade and possibly ground warfare.
Could also mean there'll be detailed planetary invasions instead of the usual simple statistics thing most space 4x games have. Would be great to have an Emperor of the Fading Suns sort of deal where space and the different worlds are just different layers happening at the same time. Tho I kinda doubt that'd happen.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2015, 09:28:19 am »

Teaser number 8.

Black guy, modern hair cut, scan lines. It's a space game, boys.

I'm really hoping it's a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri based around colonisation, future technology and political ideologies. I'll be disappointed if it's just another MoO2-like (although that's probably where the smart money is).

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2015, 09:37:52 am »

I'm really hoping it's a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri based around colonisation, future technology and political ideologies.
That would indeed be pretty rad. Given how big of a letdown Civ:BE was.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2015, 09:55:37 am »

Centauri Universalis?  I'd be all for it.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2015, 11:06:29 am »

It'd be an interesting take atleast. Having pretty much premade maps and you jumping in after a colony of sorts has been established to then expand it trough any means you see fit.

Or they could be pulling a fast one and have us timetravel to any of their eariler game periods to fuck shit up with future tech and whatnot.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2015, 11:28:05 am »

Teaser number 8.

Black guy, modern hair cut, scan lines. It's a space game, boys.

I'm really hoping it's a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri based around colonisation, future technology and political ideologies. I'll be disappointed if it's just another MoO2-like (although that's probably where the smart money is).

It could still be a "modern day" type game, not a space game. I think they only specifically ruled cold war era out, not the current era, or the very near future

I'm still pretty excited though, I'd love a ck-style space grand strategy game of some sort so I'm really hoping you're correct.

Even a moo2-style 4x would make me happy, as long as it's decent.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2015, 11:53:59 am »

Or, this just popped into my head.

Cyberpunk corporation running type of deal. That would be so freaking cool, think about it, you're developing tech, buying elections and whatnot, corporate sabotage and espionage, the whole deal. And you can take the terrain bit as space being at a rather big premium so you'd have to plan out your expansion of factories and whatnot in order to do well.

CYBERPUNK CORPORATION SIM WE NEED IT NOW!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2015, 12:09:55 pm »

I'm hoping it's a CK2-style space game. Elections matter, so it might be interesting if you play a family within a larger empire (like the Republic mechanics in CK2 except better fleshed out) with varying amounts of control.

The greater the focus on characters, the better, I think. CK2 gained wide appeal because of the focus on dynastic mechanics, not the relatively mediocre conquest/war bits. If they could nail the same thing with a space game, it'd stand out from everything else on the market.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2015, 12:15:02 pm »

Why not just play Crisis of the Confederation?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2015, 01:09:19 pm »

Why not just play Crisis of the Confederation?
Crisis of the Confederation is a hugely ambitious mod, but it's still stuck working within the confines of CK2. Ship design, real diplomacy, a research tree, random map generation, and probably most important -- polish -- isn't really comparable to a proper commercial release.

It's not really an either/or proposition, anyway. I love the idea of Crisis of the Confederation, but I'd still like to play Paradox's take on a similar idea with mechanics that would be impossible to implement in a CK2 mod.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2015, 01:22:01 pm »

I highly doubt Project Augustus will have dynastic mechanics, but I think it's a safe bet to say it's either space or near-future.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2015, 01:30:24 pm »

CK2 IN SPACE! set in a Dune/Fading Suns-like universe would be grand. Elections could still be a thing in certain government types. You could also have something like the Honor Harrington universe (Honorverse), with a number of monarchies, democracies and corporations coexisting. So to speak.

As a sidenote, as someone mentioned earlier, Emperor of the Fading Suns was quite innovative in that planets and space were entirely different layers, and I'd love to see that in a modern game. But such ambition is beyond most developers these days.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2015, 05:33:50 pm »

7 and 3. 1973.

Terrain is important. Terrain is very important in landings on planets (or moons).

Elections are important. Most of the space race was about electioneering, locally and abroad.

We reckon space. The moon is in space.

It's gonna be a moon landing thingo, with landings, old nuclear rovers and maybe even moon bases. All to show who is the best, in East vs West (or America vs Soviets). Might be historical, might be alternate timeline. Might be lots of things. I'm hoping alternate time line, with end goals being a proper mini-colony.

But I'm calling project Augustus on being about moon landings and other space exploration, back when that was a political drawcard. So there's wider ramifications of moon golf and buggy races than the simple coolness factor would normally show.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:35:40 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2015, 05:36:49 pm »

Paradox already said it's not Cold War era, so not 1973.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 632