Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658874 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Project Augustus
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2015, 05:51:04 pm »

Could be alternate timeline though. What if things were different?

I mean, how steampunk does this thing look?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna_21

And the Apollo/Soyuz Test mission could have ended the cold war if it was a little earlier (and they'd brought back a couple of hundred kilos of platinum and palladium, reasonably high grade tritium for reactors, or just titanium ore with them from moon landings and unfailed rovers, etc, instead of just rocks. That stuff was worth a fortune back then, and the moon's got it in spades). A nice jumble of co-operation, competition, warmongering, peacemaking and politics would have to be used or avoided for any reasonable outcome, no matter how successful the missions themselves were (just like the real space race, but we failed in many respects). It all could have been very different had billions been spent on space exploration and peace, rather than cold war build-ups that were never actually used.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo–Soyuz_Test_Project

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:40:03 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2015, 07:26:29 pm »

Paradox already said it's not Cold War era
Did they? Up to this point I assumed it was one of us saying that (based, I think, in part of them not wating to create competition for EvW)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2015, 07:27:18 pm »

Isn't EvW dead at this point?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2015, 07:32:46 pm »

Dead, buried and the gravestone has turned to dust. It's not coming back. So why not a different Cold War game?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2015, 07:47:07 pm »

With space as the focus, but not the only driving force in EvW. Cooperation is key.

And teaser 8 also fits in nicely with that timeline, because politics and civil rights were pretty big on both sides of the divide back then (slight understatement).

Be a great way for PI to clear a huge backlog of potential "could have been" games. Space. EvW. American Civil Politics. Cold War politics. The rise of Asia in technological superiority. And moon buggy racing and golf simulation.

This game will have EVERYTHING!
It's a game. Have fun.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2015, 07:50:13 pm »

Dead, buried and the gravestone has turned to dust. It's not coming back. So why not a different Cold War game?
Because they confirmed it wasn't going to be a cold war game. The game would have also been in development at the same time as EvW, makes no sense to be working on two identical games at once.

Theres also the fact they trademarked a title called Stellaris only a few months ago.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2015, 08:20:20 pm »

Because they confirmed it wasn't going to be a cold war game.
I guess I'm not clear enough, so I'll be more direct: Please provide a link where they confirm it.
The game would have also been in development at the same time as EvW, makes no sense to be working on two identical games at once.
EvW had been having problems for a while before it was cancelled, decision to make Augustus could have been the final nail in it's coffin.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2015, 08:56:30 pm »

But if it's a game about ending the cold war, or one that already ended early so we could all get on with being awesome spacemen, then it's not really a cold war game, is it?

Even if there's heaps of political shenanigans going on in the background, cold war style or not. Could just be about space, with a bit of window dressing to suit the time period.

It'd be like saying Hotline Miami 2 is a cold war game, or possibly it's about rural practices in southern Albania in the 70's, just because it's in the same time period. Who knows? Lots of those enemies could have been commie Albanian farmers, it just wasn't a large part of the game.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:59:14 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2015, 09:05:20 pm »

Because they confirmed it wasn't going to be a cold war game.
I guess I'm not clear enough, so I'll be more direct: Please provide a link where they confirm it.
The game would have also been in development at the same time as EvW, makes no sense to be working on two identical games at once.
EvW had been having problems for a while before it was cancelled, decision to make Augustus could have been the final nail in it's coffin.

*ping*
Quote from: Johan
Quote from: Thure
    It CAN'T be a Cold War game...! They wouldn't work on two ones at the same time (and yes, Paradox devs helped to develop EvW.

True. For EvW we worked on design, interface & art to help out BL-Logic. It is NOT a cold-war game, as East vs West was supposed to be our cold-war game.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2015, 09:19:33 pm »

It'd be like saying Hotline Miami 2 is a cold war game
But...but it is a Cold War game.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2015, 09:22:42 pm »

Yeah, but not really. Mostly it was just about shooting people.
It's a game. Have fun.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2015, 09:35:11 pm »

it was about shooting people.
Hence the "war" part. ("cold", on the other hand, was probably meant ironically)

*ping*
thanks.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2015, 12:31:35 am »

It is Martin Luther King: Brother Defence Force. MLK didn't really die, the assassination was staged; rather he went undercover. You lead supersecret elite force BDF against the Man, taking and holding mental territory in the popular culture and affecting elections. MLK can convert to Islam and thus no longer stabbing pigs.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2015, 01:59:14 am »

But lots of tritium reactors and moon mining as well.

It was all a cover-up (just in the opposite direction from Hollywood moon landing conspiracies. There really was something out there, no aliens needed, just stuff we didn't have resources-wise). Because of science and civil unrest and politics and money, it "failed" in our world, that we know of. Minus the MLK:BDF parts.

F'ing hippies really did lose that peace on war thingy, didn't they?

They still don't know how bad they lost, they lost it that badly...... F'ing hippies...... I could be a spaceman right now if it wasn't for them!

(playing devil's advocate on the copulation of hippies, and steering right clear of MLK:BDF. But it would be a very interesting time period for alternate timelines, regardless of what thing Project Augustus focuses on, even as an entry narrative to the main game. I still think it'll be humanity's attempt at being not only emperors on Earth, but the solar system as well. Then, perhaps, the stars. From 1973 onwards, and awesome high-thrust VASIMR plasma propulsion being done (it was), tritium reactors finalized (they were), and technology that we're only "barely" able to utilize now in "our timeline" in real life. And a host of agreements being made on "Use of the Moon", by exactly 2 powers. Yeah, right. The moon is sweet. Has been for 40 years.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:54:05 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2015, 04:01:09 am »

Where exactly do we get our tritium from anyway? Just as a question?
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 632