Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687533 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #435 on: November 10, 2015, 05:41:56 pm »

I knew that was the joke, I was saying they could turn it into its own effect instead of just stability, because spaaaace. An effect that involves losing stability anyway :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #436 on: November 10, 2015, 06:30:07 pm »

Cause fake comets over planets with non-space faring civilizations just to fuck with them.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2015, 06:58:35 pm »

Bah! Superstitious nonsense!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 11, 2015, 04:31:28 pm »

Stop looking at the sky!

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 13, 2015, 12:54:34 am »

But that's where Jesus lives. He's having a bbq with Papa Nurgle this weekend.
It's a game. Have fun.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #440 on: November 13, 2015, 01:26:31 am »

I hear they invited the President, so we need to make sure he gets there on time.

* Orange Wizard cocks a gun.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 13, 2015, 01:45:19 am »

By god, you'd better hope he's got a successor first.
It's a game. Have fun.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 16, 2015, 11:07:43 am »

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 16, 2015, 11:08:11 pm »

Thank god. We almost had nothing to talk about there.

Hmmm. I understand the idea of efficiency bonuses, but in power stations, that's almost the opposite of the way it works currently irl. Kind of. It would be easier to get fuel resources to the plants, and even establish the infrastructure needed for them if they were all grouped together, but the losses of transmission would outweigh that efficiency for a planetary wide system.

I guess with large scale use of room temperature superconductors for transmission to the site of use it makes sense. Or other forms of transmission.

I'm probably over-thinking it. Since energy is literally a resource in the game, it's probably best to think of power plants not really making electricity at all. Just "energy". Which does stuff.

I guess we'll hear more in coming weeks.
It's a game. Have fun.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 16, 2015, 11:26:22 pm »

XCOM also uses adjacency bonuses on power (and labs, and workshops).

I'm not sure if there's any reasoning behind it in either case other than to make the player want to consider carefully how to arrange their buildings for optimum efficiency.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 16, 2015, 11:27:31 pm »

Yep.  Energy sounds a lot like they were inspired by SMAC's use of energy in like fashion, which covered facilities like Energy Banks or Thermocline Transducers, but was also altered through facilities like the various Labs and Tree Farms.  The adjacency bonus may be meant to represent economies of scale in part, grouping large numbers of similar (but indeterminate) production facilities together, but that's likely a post-hoc rationalization of what was primarily a gameplay decision.  XCOM was actually my immediate thought on similarity, too. ^_^

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 16, 2015, 11:43:46 pm »

I got M.U.L.E, but with pop instead of game turns being the base resource for that land/building type combo, and extra efficiencies based on building adjacency. I wonder if they'll have an improvement in economic buildings over time (people get better at doing stuff if they've been doing it, or producing that stuff, longer)?

Food/minerals/energy/pop is a fairly tried and tested system for 4X games, no matter the individual takes on it. Could be good, could be bad.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:45:30 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 17, 2015, 01:35:49 am »

I was kind of hoping for generic resources and super rare strategic resources, so we'd have reasons to fight wars over otherwise useless shitholes (cough Arrakis cough). Something like wormholes requiring unobtanium, warp drives grimdarkium and so forth. It would work as an organic limit for how many ships you can build at the same time as well.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 17, 2015, 08:59:06 am »

I was kind of hoping for generic resources and super rare strategic resources, so we'd have reasons to fight wars over otherwise useless shitholes (cough Arrakis cough). Something like wormholes requiring unobtanium, warp drives grimdarkium and so forth. It would work as an organic limit for how many ships you can build at the same time as well.
They did mention how they'd talk about rare resources next week. Maybe the spice can flow.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 17, 2015, 01:23:44 pm »

Looks like fun, but I'm keeping my expectations low in case it disappoints.  Christ, can't someone just make a version of Aurora that's not in VB and that has some user-friendliness?

[Long-winded rant]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not actually expecting this game to be that, of course, and I'm sure plenty of people would hate it if it was.  I can dream, though.  Or just make my own, I guess.  I've nothing against soft, fantasy sci-fi games like this one seems to be shaping up to be, (I like them, too) I just wish there was something other than freaking Aurora on the hard-ish sci-fi 4X game 'market'.

(If you're going to take anything away from this heap of a post, then go read Blindsight.  It's free online, and it's pretty good.)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:28:16 pm by RadtheCad »
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 632