Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1672628 times)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #795 on: January 25, 2016, 10:34:59 am »

I think the focus is too different, Star Ruler was all about massive armadas duking it out. Stellaris seems a little more well-rounded in it's approach to galactic conquest. I mean heck, if you felt like it you could go full KOTOR in Star Ruler and design massive Star Forges that harvested suns and asteroids to churn out swarms of robotic fighers and whole fleets of battleships controlled by advanced A.I.
You could?

I always got super pissed off at the Newtonian physics that I never bothered to play through Star Ruler.

You could, I once forgot to turn off automated production and ended up with 3,000 extra fighters in a backwater world once troubled by pirates.

I always got super pissed off at the Newtonian physics that I never bothered to play through Star Ruler.
*I* always got super pissed at JUST. NOT. SUCCEEDING. EVER.
Star Ruler was a game I WANTED to like, but the basics of the bloody system hurt my brain so much that I lost 100% of the time to trivial A.I.

Also the ship design was kinda shit because you were ALWAYS horrifically limited in how much space you could use.

Different strokes for different folks, but it seemed rather balanced to me. Do you really want to be able to just make your ship perfect at everything? Even with the current system you could make insanely powerful ships.

How will you call space strategy good, if it is without ability to make pinnacle of technology great planet sized battleship with even toilet paper there being some nanotechnological miracle , while citizens of hundred worlds starve and die horribly to mine minerals for it and cry, as their children are harvested to be turned into crew.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 26, 2016, 10:34:04 am »

Long Stellaris Q&A @ eXplorminate [January 25, 2016].

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 28, 2016, 06:31:16 pm »

awesome mushroom people screenshot. i would totally play that race.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 28, 2016, 10:41:15 pm »

Star Ruler was a game I WANTED to like, but the basics of the bloody system hurt my brain so much that I lost 100% of the time to trivial A.I.

Also the ship design was kinda shit because you were ALWAYS horrifically limited in how much space you could use.

Different strokes for different folks, but it seemed rather balanced to me. Do you really want to be able to just make your ship perfect at everything? Even with the current system you could make insanely powerful ships.
Its not "I can't make a ship perfect at everything" it was "I can't win in any aspect of the game ever"
I would be consistently out-researched, out-resourced, AND out-gunned ALL AT THE SAME TIME, FOREVER. Against trivial A.I.
In all my time playing I literally never destroyed one enemy ship. Not a fucking one.

And I'm STILL not sure what I was doing wrong.
Imagine playing a game where you constantly get CRUSHED for no reason discernible to you.
THAT is why I don't play Star Ruler.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:43:20 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 28, 2016, 10:49:26 pm »

OOOoh space game with Newtonian physics!?  I will have to look into that...

Edit:  And they made a sequel!  Is the sequel better?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:53:35 pm by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 28, 2016, 11:13:52 pm »

The sequel is HILARIOUSLY different. To the point I can actually mostly play it. Ish.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 29, 2016, 12:06:02 am »

The sequel is HILARIOUSLY different. To the point I can actually mostly play it. Ish.

Play the original first, they're wildly different games. As far as difficultly goes, IDK. I was out-researched in some aspects, but then my navies focused most of their firepower in high-alpha waves or dispersed it in massive swarms of fighters. So, I was always able to hold my borders.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 29, 2016, 05:10:39 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ahaha, the name of the empire means "The Amanitas of Eternity". The particular individual in the image is supposedly Overlord Poisonous I. Their race is just called Amanitas.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 30, 2016, 05:37:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Playing something other than humans ?? Heresy is strong it this one !

Its not "I can't make a ship perfect at everything" it was "I can't win in any aspect of the game ever"
I would be consistently out-researched, out-resourced, AND out-gunned ALL AT THE SAME TIME, FOREVER. Against trivial A.I.
In all my time playing I literally never destroyed one enemy ship. Not a fucking one.

And I'm STILL not sure what I was doing wrong.
Imagine playing a game where you constantly get CRUSHED for no reason discernible to you.
THAT is why I don't play Star Ruler.

Its probaly the fact that Star Ruler is so hard on this whole unstable equilibrium... AI is simply better at controlling multiple colonies, constantly churning out colony ships, exploring etc. Even with mods it was totally absurd. Shame, because game ( especially the scope of it ) was amazing.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:40:43 am by Lossmar »
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 30, 2016, 10:27:36 pm »

So I just played star ruler and star ruler 2, and holy shit are they different.

I don't know which one I like better, actually.  I have to agree about star ruler 1:  It's an insane amount of micromanagement, without enough tools to help you.  Pretty much impossible to keep track of everything.

Star ruler 2 is far more polished, more mainstream, but still has the core of what made it good, in my opinion.  I don't like the diplomacy thing they added, or the planet leveling up system weirdness, but the ship creation is far, FAR better, as well as fleet management.  Fleet management is so much easier, holy shit.

So yeah, 2 is far less micro and pain, while 1 has the insane goodness if you really want to get into it.  Looks like it's easy to mod 2 as well, so I'll probably do that at some point.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #805 on: January 30, 2016, 11:40:38 pm »

The diplomacy in 2 can be a lot of fun in multiplayer

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 31, 2016, 10:08:42 am »

The diplomacy in 2 can be a lot of fun in multiplayer

Yeah, it may be because I don't actually understand how it works fully yet.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 01, 2016, 10:16:19 am »

Finally, some info about diplomacy!
Stellaris Dev Diary #19 - Diplomacy & Trade.

Next week's DD: "Next dev diary will be written by Doomdark, expanding further upon War & Peace."  8)

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 01, 2016, 11:25:47 am »

This interview confirms Stellaris is projected to release this year! Get hype. http://www.pcinvasion.com/stellaris-interview-henrik-fahraeus-on-taking-paradox-into-space

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 01, 2016, 11:31:08 am »

I heard February too, but I'm finding that harder and harder to believe.  Not a huge deal for me, since I'll be playing lots of XCOM.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 632