Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1667438 times)

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #810 on: February 01, 2016, 11:52:57 am »

It was confirmed to be released this MONTH. 23rd was it?

I don't buy the Febuary launch rumours, there hasn't been enough advertising for that to seem realistic to me. I imagine Paradox is going to want to go very mass-market with this release in order to further widen their fanbase to those who may have been turned off by the history theme of their previous games (just a guess on my part)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: February 01, 2016, 11:57:11 am »

February?.. Nah, it was just a speculation. Here is Zoft's post about it.

If I would have to guess about the release date...10% chance for a Q1 release [march] ; 70% for Q2 and 20% for Q3. IMO.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:16:14 pm by gimli »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: February 01, 2016, 12:00:15 pm »

Also we don't want Paradox to rush it out, because we know what happens* with Paradox releases.

*Yes, they're getting better, but still.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: February 01, 2016, 01:22:22 pm »

I bet one burned dwarven child that the release is in September or October. Although it depends on when HOI4 comes out; there is no release date for that, is there?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: February 01, 2016, 03:12:30 pm »

Hmmm.... wonder if there is an option to start as an uplifted Protectorate/Vassal of a larger Empire...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: February 01, 2016, 03:44:07 pm »

"it doesn’t go quite as deep as EU IV"
 — Henrik Fåhraeus

So in other words, although it may look flashy, Stellaris is going to really lower the bar for depth even further.

Hmmm.... wonder if there is an option to start as an uplifted Protectorate/Vassal of a larger Empire...
Maybe in DLC. At launch, the start situation is classic 4x, which means synchronous and boring as possible.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 01, 2016, 04:22:29 pm »

I bet one burned dwarven child that the release is in September or October.
They claim to be doing the last 10%-ish right now, so I highly doubt it'll be that long.
Given that they originally had HOI IV getting out in 2015, and now it's looking like no earlier than Q2 2016, and given realities of how long "the last 10%" of any software project takes, I think I would take the over if you set the Over/Under before September 1.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 01, 2016, 05:38:25 pm »

— Henrik Fåhraeus

So in other words, although it may look flashy, Stellaris is going to really lower the bar for depth even further.

I am getting pretty worried about this really. They're not putting espionage in and the characters don't interact, there's no tactics to the combat and they've been pretty coy on a lot of other stuff.
It's not that I expected it to be CK2 in space exactly, or that it won't be fun even without the stuff that they're not putting in, it's just that I don't think they realized that people wanted a proper paradox game in space rather than just another 4x game which is flashy but ultimately shallow.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 01, 2016, 11:13:53 pm »

it's just that I don't think they realized that people wanted a proper paradox game in space rather than just another 4x game which is flashy but ultimately shallow.
Rather, I think that their existing fanbase isn't really their main target audience. It's aiming to decisively claim the throne of space 4x, which is a hotly contested title, and perhaps the most coveted one in strategy gaming now. But to get a big market, the common adage of game design is that you must appeal to folks who would be turned off by complication. So they tell us they've got pops like Vicky 2, but in fact they have one "pop" per province, who has a species and a position on the four values sliders, but nothing like a religion, a sense of needs being fulfilled or not, no diversity within that province, and likely not even population numbers.

Espionage will likely be DLC, and religion's fertile ground for that as well, but the lackluster pops, the lackluster characters (basically the MoO2-style leaders; just modifiers that you stick somewhere), and probably other lackluster things that we don't know about, are inherent parts of the game's fundamental structure, and are unlikely to get a post-release DLC improvement for a long time. CK2 has been out for four years and they're just now improving on the council. Although to be fair it wasn't that bad to begin with and they improved the technology barely over a year after it was released. On the other hand, EU4 is still based entirely on mana pools.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 01, 2016, 11:57:15 pm »

Is there a 4x where religion is a big deal?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 02, 2016, 12:01:13 am »

Emperor of the Fading Suns?  It's basically Space Byzantium in an interregnum, after all, and at least theoretically (AI shortcomings aside), the Church is a major faction who you typically should not want to cheese off cavalierly. 

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 02, 2016, 02:57:59 am »

Paradox has done proof-of-concept games before like Sengoku (for CKII) and March of the Eagles (for ??). I hope Stellaris isn't one of those but an actual grand strategy game on the first iteration.

Regarding religion, I really don't see it being relevant in a space age. Especially so when there are other species involved. Would they have religions at all or would they be identifiable as religions by our standards? Religions are, as a phenomenon, clearly tied to the brain structure of Homo Sapiens. After all there have been several experiments - such as the God-Helmet - where religious experiences have been produced with scientific methods. As such, I think the whole value system is enough. 

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 02, 2016, 08:22:08 am »

I am not sure that we can start as a vassal in the vanilla game or not, but a player can be a Vassal to another Empire (human or AI) and still play. If the player is integrated/diplo-annexed the game is lost however.
Even if we can't start the game as a vassal, they will "enable it" in a patch or DLC/expansion for sure.

— Henrik Fåhraeus

I am getting pretty worried about this really. They're not putting espionage in and the characters don't interact, there's no tactics to the combat and they've been pretty coy on a lot of other stuff.
It's not that I expected it to be CK2 in space exactly, or that it won't be fun even without the stuff that they're not putting in, it's just that I don't think they realized that people wanted a proper paradox game in space rather than just another 4x game which is flashy but ultimately shallow.

I am not worried at all. Espionage will be added in an expansion or DLC, it was pretty much confirmed..as for character interaction: I agree with this dev, but they have plans to expand the system anyway [..it was posted by a dev, but I can't find it on the PD forum atm, because the sub-forum search is kinda bugged.], but it won't have a complex system, like the one what we have in CK2. now. I suppose they will enable char interaction in an exp./DLC, but it will be pretty basic. We shall see.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:45:37 am by gimli »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 02, 2016, 08:44:34 am »

If it works like other Paradox games, you can switch nations mid-game. So you could uplift Tentacular Catgirls into spacefaring age, make them your protectorate, save the game, then load the game as Tentacular Catgirls, thus playing the protectorate of your previous nation.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: February 02, 2016, 08:50:06 am »

If it works like other Paradox games, you can switch nations mid-game. So you could uplift Tentacular Catgirls into spacefaring age, make them your protectorate, save the game, then load the game as Tentacular Catgirls, thus playing the protectorate of your previous nation.

Oh yeah, perhaps it will work like that in Stellaris as well...and while we are at it, some more infos.

Q: Can you play as a fallen empire? Or atleast tag switch?
A: Though they are not designed to be played, you can tag switch to them. Also in the setup there is flag "is_playable" with currently is set to = no. But if you just switch to "yes", then they turn up in the Species creation wizard as an option.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 632