Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1670993 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #885 on: February 24, 2016, 04:57:37 pm »

Which either means they'd not put in a system like that again, or in the future a system that intrinsic would be part of the free patch and not DLC-locked content. Either way, that doesn't have anything to do with them releasing DLC within a year of Stellaris.

That seems highly unlikely. For historical games you can add more history/map areas in DLC, but the only thing they can really improve in a 4x is the mechanics themselves. Whilst I realise there are costs to balance so they can't be too ambitious, I do feel that they're basically setting the game up for DLC which is a business model I really dislike.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 24, 2016, 06:39:58 pm »

also
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't know what the fuck that is, but I want to play as it.

Not a fan of the color choices on the fasces though.

That seems highly unlikely. For historical games you can add more history/map areas in DLC, but the only thing they can really improve in a 4x is the mechanics themselves. Whilst I realise there are costs to balance so they can't be too ambitious, I do feel that they're basically setting the game up for DLC which is a business model I really dislike.
There will definitely be major mechanics that end up being DLC, but they can add the equivalent of history to the game no problem. Look at the kinds of small things that they added to CK2 and EU4. CK2 got new playable religions and government types. Stellaris doesn't have religions, but it conveniently does have government types, and I'd be willing to bet that civilization types (ie synthetic and hive mind) stuff will get involved in expansions as well. Now consider what EU4 has gotten. Yes, its expansions tend to be lackluster aside from the mechanical aspect, but most of them deal with a specific aspect of life, or a region, or a cultural/religious group. There's no reason they can't do any of that for Stellaris, just swapping out "region" with general cultural blocs and types of empire as needed. Also consider that the game is randomly mapped, and look at what Stardock has done with their fantasy games. It's relatively easy for Paradox to make DLC which incorporates new elements for the map to draw from, as well as things like event packs.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:43:16 pm by Cruxador »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 24, 2016, 06:45:51 pm »

oh paradox you troll

Remove space kebab.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: February 25, 2016, 09:58:55 am »

oh paradox you troll

also
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wiz... :D

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: February 29, 2016, 10:13:11 am »

Stellaris Dev Diary #23 - Multiplayer.

"...One of our longstanding issues with multiplayer is that clients desynchronize, which is usually solved by having the host rehost the game, but this can be quite a menace when playing multiplayer with 20+ people, so we’ve decided that this is an issue we should prioritize higher in Stellaris. Thanks to persistent testing and fixing of out-of-syncs as soon as they happen, we’ve managed to make Stellaris our most stable multiplayer experience yet..."

Next week is all about the AI.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 29, 2016, 10:29:57 am »

I think I'm going to need hard evidence before believing paradox can into stable multiplayer.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: February 29, 2016, 11:32:47 am »

I think I'm going to need hard evidence before believing paradox can into stable multiplayer.

Ditto. Didn't they promise exactly this for EUIV? While it was definitely a bit better than CK II and EUIII they are still at least 10 years behind everyone else with multiplayer.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 29, 2016, 03:28:37 pm »

People care about multiplayer for Paradox games?

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: February 29, 2016, 03:32:47 pm »

The singleplayer is really fun but there's nothing quite like murdering your friend and leaving him with a 2 - year old ruler all the nobles hate.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 29, 2016, 03:55:24 pm »

With the fact that the AI can control player empires in multiplayer(when players drop out and others continue to play, plus in-session joining)... I wonder if it has optional automation options like how Distant Worlds does it.  That would be awesome.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 29, 2016, 04:02:58 pm »

Well they would care more if it didn't desync all the time. CK 2 multiplayer is fun as hell, as long as you can excuse yourself from real life for like 10 hours.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: February 29, 2016, 05:07:55 pm »

With the fact that the AI can control player empires in multiplayer(when players drop out and others continue to play, plus in-session joining)... I wonder if it has optional automation options like how Distant Worlds does it.  That would be awesome.
Doubt it, the AI can take over player nations in the current games, you just have to rehost, and there are (with exception of HoI) no automation options.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #897 on: February 29, 2016, 05:17:06 pm »

"Most stable yet" doesn't necessarily mean stable. Might just mean "it breaks slightly less often than our other games".
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: February 29, 2016, 06:58:01 pm »

Yes. It's awesome.

There's two kinds of CK2 players.

There's the guy who plays it like it's Simcity. Slowly building, ein zwei ein zwei one two one two yes I have finished my building time to slowly build some more.

Then there's the guy who plays it like it's Simcity. As the giant robot that destroys everything.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 01, 2016, 01:10:03 am »

Well, while multiplayer support is good in theory, I don't really care about it as much as for the single player content. Thus my opinion on this is a solid, 24-carat gold meh.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 632