Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679328 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1335 on: April 09, 2016, 07:09:49 pm »

Yeah, it's 2D in mechanics, as you can be boxed in by other empires and can't get past them with ships or colonies without them allowing you to fly through their space. A 3D map would make that very difficult to do, since you could just go over or under them.
That's not proof-positive, although the borders are represented in 2D, they could be round. They would still block off bypassing by going around since you can only travel in a straight line from one system to another.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: April 09, 2016, 07:15:25 pm »

Except that's still 2D since in a 3D galaxy, the stars would also be scattered in the vertical plane as well as horizontal. They could expand their borders "up and down" as well as "left to right" but then their horizontal border with you would, in the same period of time (i.e. using the same number of colony ships/frontier outposts) be thinner, and so you could more easily get past them.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: April 09, 2016, 11:59:49 pm »

I think the problem is that you are restricting yourself with node drive. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: April 10, 2016, 01:06:30 am »

nah even warp and wormhole FTL looks like it'll still need another star system to target

doesn't look like you can jump/warp to empty space between stars

and if the enemy empire controls all the stars along the border that are within warp/jimp distance (i.e. you can't just jump through their borders to a star outside their influence on the other side) then you're locked in, at least on that front
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: April 10, 2016, 03:19:18 am »

Except that's still 2D since in a 3D galaxy, the stars would also be scattered in the vertical plane as well as horizontal.
Well, they are though. Just not very much.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: April 10, 2016, 05:01:57 am »

nah even warp and wormhole FTL looks like it'll still need another star system to target

and if the enemy empire controls all the stars along the border that are within warp/jimp distance (i.e. you can't just jump through their borders to a star outside their influence on the other side) then you're locked in, at least on that front

Really? That's too bad. You can warp/etc into empty space in Star Ruler II and it's sometimes useful (for hiding ships or fleets where they won't be as likely to be spotted by scouts, for example, or pre-positioning them near someone else's systems prior to war, but not in border systems so they don't get suspicious).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: April 12, 2016, 04:06:33 am »

Really? That's too bad. You can warp/etc into empty space in Star Ruler II and it's sometimes useful (for hiding ships or fleets where they won't be as likely to be spotted by scouts, for example, or pre-positioning them near someone else's systems prior to war, but not in border systems so they don't get suspicious).
My understanding is that its a Pathfinding nightmare.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: April 12, 2016, 09:53:37 am »

Nobody noticed the new dev diary?
From what I saw in the stream, the faction system is really simple and kinda boring. Every time it popped up they just pressed a button and it went away for awhile.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: April 12, 2016, 10:00:29 am »

From what I saw in the stream, the faction system is really simple and kinda boring. Every time it popped up they just pressed a button and it went away for awhile.
They kept bribing it or assassinating the leaders. But yeah. I'm guessing it'll be expanded in DLC not unlike CK2 factions.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: April 12, 2016, 11:13:52 am »

This is how unrest works in most Paradox games, so that's no surprise.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: April 12, 2016, 07:10:42 pm »

Nothing there was really new info if you've been keeping up with the streams.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: April 12, 2016, 07:28:37 pm »

Cruxador reminds me of Neonivek and Cthulhu when they were younger. Nitpicking every single thing without thought or consequence. Is it a phase thing some people go through?

Oh god I'm old enough to remember Neonivek and Cthulhu when they were younger...

Someone kill me.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1348 on: April 12, 2016, 07:33:13 pm »

I don't remember Cruxador ever not being nitpicky :P
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: April 12, 2016, 07:37:37 pm »

I don't remember Cruxador ever not being nitpicky :P
I think we should judge how much he loves things by how much he nitpicks it.

Kinda like those tsundere characters except instead of tsun it'd be... uh... nitpickdere?
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 632