Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687318 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2955 on: June 27, 2016, 05:31:34 am »

Traits are in dire need of expansion, definitely
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: June 27, 2016, 05:42:35 am »

Fanatic materialism implies the will to do anything for !!Science!! doesn't it? So I think that will do fine, just need some minor trait to balance it out. Perhaps collectivism or militarism.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2957 on: June 27, 2016, 06:09:12 am »

In other news, droid pops are treated like pre-sentient natives in the 1.2 beta. So you can't move them or build on their tiles, and purging them causes your other pops to get all riled up.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: June 27, 2016, 06:54:49 am »

Yeah and they trigger pre-sentient events which is kind of funny when your mad scientists start doing Mengele science on your droids.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: June 27, 2016, 11:25:37 am »

In other news, droid pops are treated like pre-sentient natives in the 1.2 beta. So you can't move them or build on their tiles, and purging them causes your other pops to get all riled up.

1.2 just officially released. They claim this bug is fixed.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2960 on: July 03, 2016, 08:08:17 am »

The local molerat people decided to attack my glorious xenophilic spiritual empire. They never stood a chance, of course, but I forgot to set war goals and now I'm stuck with 100% warscore and nothing to spend it on. I suppose I could let them go free, but then I can't assimilate them until the truce times out.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2961 on: July 03, 2016, 02:17:09 pm »

I really hate the fact that wargoals use the same system for everyone. Maybe a democracy needs to maintain a transition of power, sure. But a despotic, militarist xenophobic empire can't go from a defensive to offensive war?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: July 03, 2016, 02:18:47 pm »

The local molerat people decided to attack my glorious xenophilic spiritual empire. They never stood a chance, of course, but I forgot to set war goals and now I'm stuck with 100% warscore and nothing to spend it on. I suppose I could let them go free, but then I can't assimilate them until the truce times out.
If i remember correctly, in the warscore there is a bottom tab where you can switch wargoal on defensive war, i might be wrong, i think i saw arumba once use that when defending or i may be completly wrong.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: July 03, 2016, 02:28:17 pm »

I really hate the fact that wargoals use the same system for everyone. Maybe a democracy needs to maintain a transition of power, sure. But a despotic, militarist xenophobic empire can't go from a defensive to offensive war?
This. There needs to be more differentiation by ethic and Government. Honestly, at the tech levels observed, the physiology of the species in question probably wouldn't matter nearly as much as the government they chose for themselves or the ethics that government espouses.

...Can pops revolt? I have yet to feel even the slightest hint of revolution from any of mine, through multiple playthroughs.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: July 03, 2016, 02:36:36 pm »

...Can pops revolt? I have yet to feel even the slightest hint of revolution from any of mine, through multiple playthroughs.

You generally have to bait them into it, unfortunately.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: July 03, 2016, 02:44:40 pm »

I've definitely had pops revolt when they've been recently conquered and want independence, but never outside of that and those aren't particularly difficult to deal with as long as you pay attention and don't lose everything in a new war.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: July 03, 2016, 03:10:55 pm »

Pop revolts make the most sense in large empires with few external enemies. Well-designed, a civil war could be a superb end-game crisis, where psionic warriors clash in the corridors of planet-destroying battlestations and sentient robots toil alongside enslaved alien races.... but that's fringe science-fiction, it might not be popular enough to implement in stellaris.

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: July 03, 2016, 03:51:38 pm »

There just isn't enough weird stuff in the game.  It all feels so vanilla- none of the different races matter, they're all near-identical mechanically anyway;  there's none of the cool weird stuff you get in space IRL either, and definitely none of the fun stuff in Sci-fi.  There's no Von Neumann drones eating your asteroid belts, or rogue planets, or world ships, or matrioshka brains, or turning your people into robots, or even binary stars.  You can only move between systems with boring old ships that are basically boats anyway.  If you could just reskin it and it would be fine as an ocean game with different islands instead of planets, what's the point of making it a space game?
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: July 03, 2016, 04:20:34 pm »

DLC, wait a few years.  Get Hype.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: July 03, 2016, 04:27:35 pm »

Yeah, Paradox doesn't release games, they put them onto public alpha.
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 632