Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1672055 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5430 on: November 15, 2017, 02:44:51 am »

I'm very much a for fun kind of guy, to the point that my biggest issue with EUIV is that it feels too much like a game compared to the character-based CKII or simulationist Vicky.

So I definitely think I'll pick it up come the holidays. Any DLC I need? A cursory examination tells me Utopia lets me be the Borg and/or Space Hitler, Leviathans unlocks giant space jellyfish, and the other one is about robots or something. I remember EUIV and Vicky 2 are severely worse without expansions; are any of these DLCs needed for the proper Stellaris experience, or can I get by fine on vanilla?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: November 15, 2017, 02:48:37 am »

Leviathons, no, it really just adds some things you might, have a chance of maaaybe finding, for example I didn't even know the stellarite devourer was a thing until this october. Synthetic dawn, depends how much you like robots. Utopia, imo, is Stellaris' first must have. It actually adds full sized features to the game, as well as mega structures you can build.

What I think you should look seriously into though, is the mods. Stellaris has a great mod community, and I actually forgot New Ship Classes And More isn't the baseline game myself.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: November 15, 2017, 03:05:55 am »

I honestly love Leviathans. Way more than Synthetic Dawn (which is still nice depending on how much your like robots). It adds the Enclaves and actual leviathans and even though there aren't that many, it really makes the universe feel lived-in. And working up to beating the Leviathans (usually involving combat, though most/lots of them have multiple rewards/paths like the Infinity Sphere) makes them feel like an accomplishment. That and the rewards it gives you are really nice.

I don't think Utopia is essential to enjoying Stellaris but I'd definitely highly recommend it to anyone regardless of their tastes.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: November 15, 2017, 05:41:54 am »

So far I must say, if you're newish to the game you should turn off advanced starts with utopia.  Hive minds don't care about happiness so the AI goes around claiming all three climates and building super wide.  The mutual mild dislike that they have for everyone means that you can't really befriend them but the AI won't gang up on them.  If they're on your half of the galaxy they're about as hard to deal with as an advanced start IMO. 
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: November 15, 2017, 09:37:51 am »

Stellaris is a big game with a lot of content, but suffers from the serious problem that there's nothing really engaging to do. That's not to say that there's nothing to do, there's lots of things which consume your time but all they're really doing is distracting you from the fact that you're not enjoying the game.

Most of the new features in both DLC ...  are just "for fun"
Fun is kind of the point, though. The problem is that they're not enough to actually be fun.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: November 15, 2017, 09:59:21 am »

I kinda agree with Cruxador. It's weird. I can't straight up say "I think stellaris is a bad game." Because I've got 71 hours in it. But it's like, the first 20 were pretty good. The next fifty was a downward slide as the sorta thin veneer of the game cracked away and revealed a frankly very shallow (although wide) game with a lot of systems that range from dumb to actually straight up broken.  So, can't really recommend it, exspecally when it's not on sale. But it really depends on what you wanta get out of it.

I will say one really really big thing that's important to know about stellaris is that the AI is fucked. And interacting with the AI in a positive manner is basically never worthwhile. At least in my experience. They can act as speed bumps on your road to domination, or sometimes kick your can in for whatever reason. But most of the time they'll just be lumps that you sometimes kick on your way past.  That was (and is) the absolute worst part of Stellaris to me, like shallow mechanics and dumb game decisions are okay and expected... But I was really hoping for more in the AI department, or the ability to meaningfully interact with others. It felt like if there was one thing stellaris should have been best at it's the ability to play it not as a 4x competition between your empire and everyone else in a race to the finish line, but as a more roleplaying sorta thing... But unless you're roleplaying a race that's basically playing it as a competition to take over the galaxy you'll be disappointed.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: November 15, 2017, 05:18:03 pm »

I always feel with Stellaris that it just needs something and it'll be great.  What they did with the populations was great, but it mostly fixed problems.  The faction system is amazing but when things are going well its mostly that you set things up and then they just work.  Utopia is also great in that it extends the feeling of discovery and growth into the lategame.  But again, its a great system but you only need to interact with it when something big happens.  Unity is also going to need its own rework.

There are two high-level problems I see with Stellaris.
Spoiler: problem 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Problem 2 (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: November 15, 2017, 05:25:00 pm »

Sirius, please tell me you used the three pronged beak avian penguin model so its actually the same birds.  That would be amazing.  And oh my god we both got the event horizon.  Maybe my game is a distant prequel to yours.  Or... perhaps its the same universe, but things happened differently.  What will be... was.
I sure did!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: November 15, 2017, 07:27:05 pm »

I'm very much a for fun kind of guy, to the point that my biggest issue with EUIV is that it feels too much like a game compared to the character-based CKII or simulationist Vicky.

So I definitely think I'll pick it up come the holidays. Any DLC I need? A cursory examination tells me Utopia lets me be the Borg and/or Space Hitler, Leviathans unlocks giant space jellyfish, and the other one is about robots or something. I remember EUIV and Vicky 2 are severely worse without expansions; are any of these DLCs needed for the proper Stellaris experience, or can I get by fine on vanilla?

Well no, Utopia doesn't let you be "Borg" - that's Synthetic Dawn. And it's definitely the best one to get.

Utopia doesn't add too many features that aren't in Synthetic Dawn or that aren't actually free at the time of the Utopia patch.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: November 15, 2017, 07:32:22 pm »

I kinda agree with Cruxador. It's weird. I can't straight up say "I think stellaris is a bad game." Because I've got 71 hours in it.

I never understood this sentiment. Some times you need dozens or hundreds of hours - especially in a GSG or a Stellaris-type game - just to finish one game, or to figure out how everything works. It takes that long just to find out how the game works. You're not even qualified to say if Stellaris is a good game or not for probably 50 hours.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: November 15, 2017, 08:19:38 pm »

I kinda agree with Cruxador. It's weird. I can't straight up say "I think stellaris is a bad game." Because I've got 71 hours in it.

I never understood this sentiment. Some times you need dozens or hundreds of hours - especially in a GSG or a Stellaris-type game - just to finish one game, or to figure out how everything works. It takes that long just to find out how the game works. You're not even qualified to say if Stellaris is a good game or not for probably 50 hours.
You can actually finish a Stellaris game in about an hour on the smallest galaxy size, which is nice.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: November 15, 2017, 08:35:00 pm »

You can actually finish a Stellaris game in about an hour on the smallest galaxy size, which is nice.

sure but what does that have to do with anything?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: November 15, 2017, 09:14:48 pm »

sure but what does that have to do with anything?
Just adding that it, unlike other games of the genre, does allow for fast games. I am not actually contesting anything you said or really contributing much to the discussion other than letting any potential players reading this know that Stellaris is not necessarily a huge time-sink.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: November 15, 2017, 09:17:06 pm »

Stellaris is not necessarily a huge time-sink.
But it will be.

And what will be was. What was will be.

Stellaris will be, and was, a timesink. :V
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5444 on: November 15, 2017, 09:29:49 pm »

You do not have to play for 50 hours to know if you're enjoying a game, regardless of genre. A well designed game keeps you in the fun zone for most of your play time, not just briefly at the very end. If you are playing the game and not having fun for the majority of your time, you probably don't like it and I don't know why you would continue.

Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 632