Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1670191 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5700 on: January 10, 2018, 10:46:15 am »

you know, surrendering to a FE is not the end of the game. It is a perfectly reasonable strategy to just let them eat the entire galaxy yourself included, and build up until they decay and you can set up a grand coalition of rebellious vassals to take them down.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: January 10, 2018, 11:16:06 pm »

you know, surrendering to a FE is not the end of the game. It is a perfectly reasonable strategy to just let them eat the entire galaxy yourself included, and build up until they decay and you can set up a grand coalition of rebellious vassals to take them down.
Can you voluntarily submit to them at any time, or is it a "Either when they awake or when they attack you with a vassalizing casus belli or nothing" type of thing?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: January 10, 2018, 11:20:03 pm »

I haven't really seen an FE take vassals without awakening first.  They seem to be uninterested in giving away their tech through the vassal system.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: January 10, 2018, 11:34:49 pm »

They don't take vassals anyway, they make you into "thralls" or "signatories" or whatever. You're not getting shit for signing up (except maybe the whole galaxy if randomly decide to give it to you.)

However, once they do wake up, you can ask to become their whatever, and I've not seen them in a place where they'd turn you down. Maybe if you really piss them off somehow with wars and rivalry and such? Alternatively, when they do wardeck you, I think most of the time (always maybe?) making you into their pseudo vassal is an option for 50 warscore, which is I think enough to just sue for peace right away and become their vassal without loosing anything that way.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: January 11, 2018, 05:36:07 am »

If you refuse becoming their vassal through diplomacy when they demand ask you to, they won't let you change your mind later without a war.

funny enough, in my last game, I had declared on the awakened empire right after they woke up and managed to win, but couldn't take all their planets, so they were down to two systems. They managed to piss off the fallen empire next to them through a rivalry, so the FE went and blew their awakened cousin's fleet to hell and killed their colonies except for their capital.

About ten years later, the Crisis started, and the little Awakened Empire ended up joining a Federation briefly before leaving it again. Imagine my surprise when, after the Crisis, I come up against the Federation fleet with top-tier technology. They had built as many Federation ships as they could while they had access to the FE tech.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:39:19 am by Hanzoku »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5705 on: January 11, 2018, 08:59:39 am »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: January 11, 2018, 09:28:51 am »

...Meh.

No, seriously, that's it? Maybe someone should show them New Ship Classes & More which has given you the Flagship and Superdreadnought for years now that does the same thing. And why the hell would I wipe out a planet when I can take it and use it? As for the crisis/pirates, they'll just get wiped out by the early midgame anyway when the whole galaxy is settled and there's no place for them to spawn from.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: January 11, 2018, 09:58:31 am »

I for one, am hyped.
Planetary destruction has been one of the (many) things I have been waiting for ever since Stellaris was first announced.

World Cracker: Shatters a planet, leaving behind a broken debris field that can be mined for resources. Available to non-Pacifists.
    Global Pacifier: Encases the planet in an impenetrable shield, permanently cutting it off from the rest of the galaxy. A research station can be built to study the planet afterwards.
    Neutron Sweep: Destroys most higher forms of life on the planet but leaves the infrastructure intact for colonization. Available to non-Spiritualist, non-Pacifist empires.
    God Ray: Converts all organic Pops on the planet to spiritualist and destroys all machine/synthetic pops, as well as massively increasing spiritualist ethics attraction on the planet for a time. Available to Spiritualist empires.
    Nanobot Dispersal: Assimilates all Pops on the planet, causing it to defect to your empire with its newly cyborgized population. Only available to Driven Assimilators (and thus requires Synthetic Dawn as well).

But I feel like the God Ray weapon seems to be the least interesting of them all.
They could have done something a bit more.. spectacular of it.
But that's just me I guess.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: January 11, 2018, 10:07:02 am »

And why the hell would I wipe out a planet when I can take it and use it?
Sometimes you can't afford to hold a planet, but don't want an enemy to have it either. This way you can do both.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: January 11, 2018, 10:40:43 am »

Sometimes you can't afford to hold a planet, but don't want an enemy to have it either. This way you can do both.
And some times you just want to make an example of a rival civ's planet.
It's not always about resources or colonization. Some times you need to send a message to all who dare to oppose you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5710 on: January 11, 2018, 10:55:38 am »

To quote a spehhsss mahrin, it's about time ;D

World Cracker: Shatters a planet, leaving behind a broken debris field that can be mined for resources. Available to non-Pacifists.
Noice

Global Pacifier: Encases the planet in an impenetrable shield, permanently cutting it off from the rest of the galaxy. A research station can be built to study the planet afterwards.
haha this one is hilarious. DOMES 4 UUUU

Neutron Sweep: Destroys most higher forms of life on the planet but leaves the infrastructure intact for colonization. Available to non-Spiritualist, non-Pacifist empires.
I kinda liked having the Unbidden being the only faction capable of doing this, since it made it special when the Unbidden left whole sectors full of ghost worlds where the cities remain but the people are all gone. Nevertheless, cool

God Ray: Converts all organic Pops on the planet to spiritualist and destroys all machine/synthetic pops, as well as massively increasing spiritualist ethics attraction on the planet for a time. Available to Spiritualist empires.
What seems not all that spectacular at first is made funnier at just how powerful this one can be. Without destroying the enemy's planet, you can force convert all the states in the galaxy into spiritualists. With a little modding you could make it so that this can be used by any ethos, so individualists have a freedom ray and so on. Shame they don't get a more destructive planet exploder though, but with spiritualist-pacifists this would make for a viable way to permanently cripple warlike states.

Nanobot Dispersal: Assimilates all Pops on the planet, causing it to defect to your empire with its newly cyborgized population. Only available to Driven Assimilators (and thus requires Synthetic Dawn as well).
Now it's just a shame that hive minds aren't allowed their own swarm assimilation :(

Also the apocalyptic auths like purifiers & exterminators don't get their own stuff, nor militiarists?

Sometimes you don't want anyone living on the planet, and want to carve out a dead space between your state and the rest of the galaxy, thus avoiding friction and allowing for maximum isolation as you become a fallen empire. Also this could be useful if you want to blow up planets to make way for ringworlds. And sometimes you just want to get rid of enemies wholsesale

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: January 11, 2018, 11:21:00 am »

I feel like the planet busting weapons could be distributed among the ethnics a little better. For instance, why are Spiritualists okay with blowing a planet to smithereens but wiping all life off of the surface is not allowed? Every dies either way, one just leaves the planet intact afterwards. If it's a 'I don't want to live on a planet populated by angry ghosts' thing, then why not just slap a planet modifier that reduces the happiness of Spiritualist pops instead? At least they're moddable, so at least these issues can be fixed. Some more weapons wouldn't be amiss either, like one that terraforms planets into Tomb Worlds the quick way and so on. 'At least we can fix it with mods' isn't the greatest thing to say about a game and its features, but that seems to be the way that Paradox has been going for a while so I don't know. At least they make it easy to mod their games, so all but the most fundamental problems can be fixed or tweaked to your liking.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: January 11, 2018, 11:38:28 am »

Their feature list seems to get smaller and smaller for each "expansion".

At least there's planet destroyers now.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: January 11, 2018, 11:41:36 am »

Yeah, the planet wipe being allowed for xenophiles but banned to spiritualists seems strange.

I don't find these guns as exciting as the capital ships though. Passive buffs might make fleet building a bit more interesting. The ambition system for unity could be good as well. That's a system that needed something else to patch it up so hopefully this does the job.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: January 11, 2018, 11:59:58 am »

But I feel like the God Ray weapon seems to be the least interesting of them all.
They could have done something a bit more.. spectacular of it.
But that's just me I guess.

Knock Knock.

Who's that at the galactic door?

It's JESUS!
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 632