Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1670967 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5835 on: February 23, 2018, 09:58:16 am »

I like it and the pace is better now. Ships got more weight in some sense.

Yes, the expansion micro is a bit annoying, but it's basically not worse than manual mining, exploration etc. If you have a good flow of influence it's just a matter of right and shift-clicking.

of course it's worse - it's all the bad things of the old system plus having to do it for every system you want

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5836 on: February 23, 2018, 10:01:47 am »

I think we'll get used to it. Especially since outposts can never be destroyed, there will be a point at which you never have to build another. That point comes quicker in smaller maps or more empires.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: February 23, 2018, 10:32:24 am »

I traded communications with one empire, then suddenly, the medium-sized galaxy seemed to be quite cramped.

To anyone new at 2.0:
Early in the game, build as many outposts a quickly as you can. Otherwise you will end up with a lot less space fast.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:37:49 am by Ultimuh »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: February 23, 2018, 10:47:53 am »

This is why I took exploration as my first tradition. -10% influence cost might not sound like much but it definitely adds up over the long run. I managed to block off an enemy empire from expanding 'north', leaving me a vast hinterland to occupy. A hinterland filled with Mauraders and Fanatical Purifiers.

So yeah. Not in the best position in my game.

Ships also seem horrendously expensive for some reason and I am honestly struggling to remain close to my fleet cap with all of the loses I've been taking. I probably need to expand more but it's still kinda disheartening to see a Corvette costing twice your monthly income.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: February 23, 2018, 12:30:56 pm »

This is why I took exploration as my first tradition. -10% influence cost might not sound like much but it definitely adds up over the long run. I managed to block off an enemy empire from expanding 'north', leaving me a vast hinterland to occupy. A hinterland filled with Mauraders and Fanatical Purifiers.

Ships also seem horrendously expensive for some reason and I am honestly struggling to remain close to my fleet cap with all of the loses I've been taking. I probably need to expand more but it's still kinda disheartening to see a Corvette costing twice your monthly income.

I've noticed that too. Mineral income seems to grow faster than ship mineral cost, but I'm still 50 years into one game and finding my monthly income at around 120 while a modern corvette costs 150 to build, and I'm getting a discount from my ruler. It seems like an attempt to slow the pace of the game down.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: February 23, 2018, 12:56:01 pm »

I've noticed that too. Mineral income seems to grow faster than ship mineral cost, but I'm still 50 years into one game and finding my monthly income at around 120 while a modern corvette costs 150 to build, and I'm getting a discount from my ruler. It seems like an attempt to slow the pace of the game down.

Yet, does not slowing the pace of the game down mean that you are still on equal footing to the AI for longer, as well as the number of AI present lasting longer, thereby keeping the entertainment lasting longer?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: February 23, 2018, 01:03:59 pm »

So. Hired raiders.
Do they go home after a while(or after destroying enough infrastructure), or do they stick around until you deal with them?
In my game somebody decided to sic all 4 of the mercenary clans on me. Now there are 4 fleets of about 11k strength each, circling around my empire and destryoing everything faster then I can rebuild. I have a fleet of 5k strength, which couldn't take on even a single one of them, let alone all 4, and since it is not a war my defensive allies are ignoring them.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: February 23, 2018, 01:14:23 pm »

I think we'll get used to it. Especially since outposts can never be destroyed, there will be a point at which you never have to build another. That point comes quicker in smaller maps or more empires.

i mean, yeah.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: February 23, 2018, 01:17:51 pm »

Do they go home after a while(or after destroying enough infrastructure), or do they stick around until you deal with them?

The former, they'll message you to say they're done smashing your stuff now and head home (smashing stuff on the way if 'home' is on the other side of your territory like it was for me).

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: February 23, 2018, 01:20:51 pm »

The former, they'll message you to say they're done smashing your stuff now and head home (smashing stuff on the way if 'home' is on the other side of your territory like it was for me).

Note that it might be a little bugged. I had them say they'd go home a couple times before their fleets finally stopped bombarding my poor, defenceless planet. Either way, you have to pretty much twiddle your thumbs and wait for them to eventually leave.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: February 23, 2018, 01:50:14 pm »

Note that it might be a little bugged. I had them say they'd go home a couple times before their fleets finally stopped bombarding my poor, defenceless planet. Either way, you have to pretty much twiddle your thumbs and wait for them to eventually leave.
KEKEKE YES STUPID DUSTEATER WE'LL GO HOME

*orbital strikes ensue, again*

OHOHOHO JUST KIDDING!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: February 23, 2018, 02:44:09 pm »

Well. They added the 'Barbaric Despoilers' civic which grants a special bombardment stance to abduct pops into your empire. Stealing techs in raids works just like it did before, which is to say you have to destroy their fleet and analyze the debris it generates. I haven't tried any of the new war goals yet, so I don't know if you can steal anything beyond that.

So... I'd say maybe? The problem is basically not pissing off all of your neighbours so that they gang up on you but still. Might be worth trying.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: February 23, 2018, 03:02:56 pm »

I like the early game more now. It feels more strategic and slower-paced. Feels more like an age of exploration to me, which I enjoy.

I'm still in that portion of my game, eager to see how it evolves into wartime (I'm trying barbaric despoilers). Fun fact, you can't abduct primitives with the raiding stance since you can't bombard them. I'm disappointed, but I can understand how having what would essentially be a population farm early-game would be broken.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: February 23, 2018, 03:15:59 pm »

I'm still in that portion of my game, eager to see how it evolves into wartime (I'm trying barbaric despoilers). Fun fact, you can't abduct primitives with the raiding stance since you can't bombard them. I'm disappointed, but I can understand how having what would essentially be a population farm early-game would be broken.

Primitives in what way? Pre-sentients that you can uplift? I'm only asking because I've abducted pops from a Renaissance planet as a Barbaric Despoiler just fine. The fact that they actually grow to fill out the missing pops is great. The fact that all of their species, regardless of where they are, get stellar shock once you take over their planet? Not so great.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: February 23, 2018, 05:01:22 pm »

Primitives in what way? Pre-sentients that you can uplift? I'm only asking because I've abducted pops from a Renaissance planet as a Barbaric Despoiler just fine. The fact that they actually grow to fill out the missing pops is great. The fact that all of their species, regardless of where they are, get stellar shock once you take over their planet? Not so great.

That's actually literally what I was talking about. It wouldn't let me bombard atomic age civs.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 632