Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1667929 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5865 on: February 23, 2018, 11:40:57 pm »

Since I don't have Apocalypse, I have to ask (fully expecting to be disappointed, mind you): can Rogue Servitors be Barbaric Despoilers?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: February 23, 2018, 11:49:49 pm »

Yes at the bottom below the designs on the left hand side. Wish it could default to off...
You sure it doesn't default to off? My ship designs never update unless I do it myself. I also usually just save over old designs to reduce clutter.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: February 24, 2018, 01:36:10 am »

It's not updating your actual ships (when ships go to a station and refit) it adds new ships into the ship designer unless you untick "automatically make new designs"

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: February 24, 2018, 01:43:56 am »

Alright, last question- would you say that the game + DLCs is worth purchasing in its current form?
Nope.

Since I don't have Apocalypse, I have to ask (fully expecting to be disappointed, mind you): can Rogue Servitors be Barbaric Despoilers?
Nope.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: February 24, 2018, 03:39:05 am »

Well, if you want marauders and planet breaking super weapons, and titan-class ships.
Then sure, is is worth it. But maybe you want to wait until it is on sale.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: February 24, 2018, 04:20:35 am »

Apocalypse is definitely on the "only if you're specifically interested in what it advertises" list in regards to Paradox DLC. Utopia is almost essential, but Apocalypse just adds some neat toys for late-game warfare.

In other news, I'm having mixed first impressions with actual conquering of planets.
First is war score Mk.2 war weariness/whatever. In theory it's fine, but it makes doing anything other than "conquer a couple planets" highly unlikely as it's impossible to keep your war score weariness from going up way too fast. By the time you've conquered one planet, you're already at 80%.
Contributing to the problem is the actual conquering of planets. For instance, I just finished waging three different wars to conquer a single planet where the AI thought putting down three strongholds would be a fun idea. Since combat width is a thing and I only had assault armies plus a few gene troopers, I had to wait ages while my indiscriminate-bombarding fleet ever-so-slowly whittled down their forces until they had few enough troops that I could send in my ground forces.

It just feels like a longer, more tedious version of the previous fortification mechanic. You still have to bombard the planet (though it's not a requirement really any more for planets w/o care given to defense, admittedly). Just instead of waiting until you whittled down fortifications, you need to wait until your bombardments kill enough units to make combat viable.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: February 24, 2018, 07:28:14 am »

I understand why they restricted travel to hyperlanes, it doesn't mean I have to like it.

In other news, 2 jumps in one direction got me 'The Worm', 2 jumps in the other got ghost colony. Good times.
Do you mean What Was Will Be, What Will Be Was? Or the dimensional horror?

What will be.. yada. I'm feeding it scientists like a candy to a fat kid. My people have grown tentacles. I'm sure that's normal.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: February 24, 2018, 07:41:56 am »

E: This weekend, Stellaris is 60% off ($16 US), prior DLCs are 50% off (Leviathans $6, Utopia $10, fuck the species packs they don't count or matter). If you're gonna buy at all, now's a good time, next sale will probably Steam Summer.

Now that I've gotten into it, I really love the FTL changes. I was already a hyperlane-only player, but I do admit that wormholes are conceptually an interesting addition. The new implementation looks to be exactly that, they're strategic territory that you want to occupy and defend, and an excellent reason to use the combat-oriented starbase modules.

The game is skewed to spawn empires of opposite/whatever ethnics as you. Don't ask me how badly but it certainly not in your favour.
Eh, I think you might have had bad RNG. I'm playing Fanatic Militarist+Materialist (to RP as one of those space opera hegemonic empires that vacuums up other species) and the single most common I've found is Militarist. Only one pacifist, two spiritualist (to one materialist), and the FE at my borders are Enigmatic Observers.

Well, I asked this a year ago and the answer was negative, so I might as well ask again since it seems that things have changed on this front: to what extent is it possible to play a Metroid "Space Pirate" race? Lots of conquest, genetic modification, slavery of other races, raiding others, etc.
More so than it used to be. It's harder to gobble large chunks of empires but much easier to snap up a few planets, gene modding and slavery were already in a decent state, and we've got the ability to raid planets without capturing them and siphon resources from occupied enemy systems. From the AI side of things there are the asshole space Mongolians who go around shitting in everyone's garden blowing up space stations and bombarding planets for giggles (who are also a decent source of tech upgrades if you can kill one of their fleets).

Apocalypse is definitely on the "only if you're specifically interested in what it advertises" list in regards to Paradox DLC. Utopia is almost essential, but Apocalypse just adds some neat toys for late-game warfare.

In other news, I'm having mixed first impressions with actual conquering of planets.
First is war score Mk.2 war weariness/whatever. In theory it's fine, but it makes doing anything other than "conquer a couple planets" highly unlikely as it's impossible to keep your war score weariness from going up way too fast. By the time you've conquered one planet, you're already at 80%.
Contributing to the problem is the actual conquering of planets. For instance, I just finished waging three different wars to conquer a single planet where the AI thought putting down three strongholds would be a fun idea. Since combat width is a thing and I only had assault armies plus a few gene troopers, I had to wait ages while my indiscriminate-bombarding fleet ever-so-slowly whittled down their forces until they had few enough troops that I could send in my ground forces.

It just feels like a longer, more tedious version of the previous fortification mechanic. You still have to bombard the planet (though it's not a requirement really any more for planets w/o care given to defense, admittedly). Just instead of waiting until you whittled down fortifications, you need to wait until your bombardments kill enough units to make combat viable.

Honestly I kinda like it. It shouldn't be easy to roll over fortified planets. The two big problems Stellaris had with the strategic layer of war were the ability of fleets to totally bypass defenses and the relative ease with which planets could be taken and retaken.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 07:56:20 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: February 24, 2018, 08:27:55 am »

loving the new patch/dlc. its gonna take some relearning tho, lots of new stuff. but. but one thing bothers me.

the 2 default human civs are now "humanoid" rather than "mammalian"

we're mammals goddamnit! those humanoid designs don't quite mesh with how the human civs are represented.

all the more reason to descend upon the galaxy and crush all living beings under the boots of true humanity. enslave the xeno, work the heretic, purge the machine.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: February 24, 2018, 08:36:45 am »

I sorta get it. It's meant to distinguish between "Humans + humans with forehead wrinkles or blue skin" vs "furries" "space catgirls" "distinctly non-human mammals like the Orions or Hani".

3. Run Resize Enable

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: February 24, 2018, 08:47:00 am »

I sorta get it. It's meant to distinguish between "Humans + humans with forehead wrinkles or blue skin" vs "furries" "space catgirls" "distinctly non-human mammals like the Orions or Hani".

yeah, im over it. i made a new human civ, spiritualist+militaristic+authoritarian=shallow 40k parody. they use the mammalian sets with their nice utilitarian look. it is time to enforce true humanity's will among the stars. to differentiate between us, true humans, and them, false heretics, i made our race "terrans" instead.

all will bow, all will serve. humanity forever.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: February 24, 2018, 08:50:25 am »

I have mixed feelings about some of the new stuff. I like the hyperlanes because they make for more interesting choices, but it takes an obscene amount of time to move your ships from one place to another. I feel like wormholes will be pretty hit and miss too. In some matches you might get one that goes somewhere useful, and in others they will all lead into empires on the other side of the galaxy that have closed borders with you. I like that starbases are useful now and interesting to build, but I don't enjoy building them everywhere.

Marauders don't feel enjoyably implemented to me. They are more annoying than fun. I am playing a game where they spawned right beside me and it doesn't matter if they are raiding my empire or another, they always fly through my space and blow up all my shit en route to their destination. It might be more interesting if you could hire them yourself but good luck with that. If an AI empire wants to use them chances are they will contact them before you do. I have played by myself and in multiplayer and I have never once had the opportunity to hire them. I don't know if I am unlucky or if the way they were designed is that the AI empires that want to hire them instantly know when the marauders have recovered from their rest period and re-hire them.

I really like the idea of the fleet designer and dedicated shipyards that can build multiple ships. It removes a lot of the needless busywork of re-building mixed fleets. I used to build battleships exclusively because I didn't want to rebuild 20 corvettes after every space battle. It seems broken and buggy right now, but when they fix it to make it usable again I feel like it will be a great addition.

The game is more tedious than ever but somehow still manages to be fun, and for me more interesting to play than other 4X games that are out right now.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: February 24, 2018, 11:17:44 am »

I'll admit I'm still annoyed that they didn't implement proper ship classes and upgrading a fleet will just change every ship to a single class of each hull type. Unless just upgrading the same design and not copying it averts that? But then you can't see which generation the class is on, which is half the fun.

3. Run Resize Enable

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: February 24, 2018, 11:25:40 am »

I'll admit I'm still annoyed that they didn't implement proper ship classes and upgrading a fleet will just change every ship to a single class of each hull type. Unless just upgrading the same design and not copying it averts that? But then you can't see which generation the class is on, which is half the fun.

Can't use the fleet manager to set the reinforcement caps to the proportion of the new classes you desire (setting the old to 0), and the upgrade will go to those proportions from the old when you use the 'upgrade' there?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5879 on: February 24, 2018, 11:33:37 am »

What? You absolutely can do that... I have two different destroyer classes and 3 corvette classes and it handles them just fine.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 632