Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679344 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6510 on: May 30, 2018, 01:00:35 pm »

AI is decent

all remaining credibility destroyed

Like I give a crap what you think of my credibility.

Either way, I’ve found Stellaris fun enough to play through multiple games, which isn’t something I can say about very many games in the last 10+ years.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: May 30, 2018, 04:05:06 pm »

I even used the console commands to make myself an FE, and then just turn on observe and see what my pacifist xenophile AI does. Turns out, he conquered everyone.

Well that's because that's all the AI does, other than federating, regardless of ethics. And only if they know they have the advantage of numbers.

I love Stellaris, but the AI is pretty useless.

This would explain why my pacifist federation buddies wanted me (a pacifist too) to declare war on another empire to "impose ethics" I believe it was.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: May 30, 2018, 04:10:43 pm »

I even used the console commands to make myself an FE, and then just turn on observe and see what my pacifist xenophile AI does. Turns out, he conquered everyone.

Well that's because that's all the AI does, other than federating, regardless of ethics. And only if they know they have the advantage of numbers.

I love Stellaris, but the AI is pretty useless.

This would explain why my pacifist federation buddies wanted me (a pacifist too) to declare war on another empire to "impose ethics" I believe it was.

Unless you construct an AI empire so as it is literally unable to go to war because of a combination of Civics and Ethics, it will go to war if it has the upper hand no matter how much they supposedly love peace and their neighbours. Well, unless they fixed it since the initial 2.0 patches, haven't played it for a while

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: May 30, 2018, 05:21:33 pm »

Anyone up for a multiplayer game?  No mods, unless someone's got a list people would agree to.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6514 on: May 30, 2018, 05:50:02 pm »

Anyone up for a multiplayer game?  No mods, unless someone's got a list people would agree to.
I could do one this weekend. Way too much schoolwork to play anything like Stellaris during the week

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: May 30, 2018, 06:09:17 pm »

I'd be happy to play on the weekend.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: May 30, 2018, 07:52:56 pm »

I'm thinking about getting this...
Pros? Cons?
whats the combat like?
ship design? does it have that?

I'd recycle my review but I'm too lazy to go back and find it, so you get the TL;DR version:

It's a very shallow 4x with a lot of greebles to make it look more complex/interesting than it is. There's also an excessive amount of micromanagement - not the good, meaningful decisions kind, but the "click 400 times to upgrade everything" type.

Still I've played it for like 200 hours or something and I don't regret getting it. It's a nice relaxing game when you just want to mindlessly paint the map your color. Just don't expect some deep strategic masterpiece because it's not that.

AI is decent

all remaining credibility destroyed

Harsh, but fair.

Stellaris AI is not good, it can barely play the game at all - the only AAA game I can think of offhand with worse AI is civ6, and at least civ6 has the excuse of being a complicated game.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: May 30, 2018, 07:59:56 pm »

I agree with BurnedToast.

Paradox makes generic space game, ends up being generic. It's slathered with a thick layer of tropes, but none of them really matter, for the most part.

Still, I have fun firing up a MP game, spewing streams of vulgarities at my friends, trying to screw them over in various ways, and topping things off with some planet cracking for no reason other than to provoke additional streams of vulgarities.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: May 30, 2018, 08:39:27 pm »

I think I'll leave it then.
Its a shame. was looking for a good space 4x that'd run in linux.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: May 31, 2018, 04:12:43 am »

I think I'll leave it then.
Its a shame. was looking for a good space 4x that'd run in linux.

while I am one of the critics, I can't deny there's lot of fun in this game if you give more importance to the setting than to the gameplay. the fluff is great and storytelling possibilities endless, with the ethics, the end game events and whatnot.

you can likely get a better feel from some let's play than a short review, especially for a game that's this polarizing.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:14:35 am by LoSboccacc »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: May 31, 2018, 04:52:40 am »

I have to say that I like the bells and whistles... but overall CK2 is probably a better game.

Stellaris is a 4x with some of the CK/EU trappings. Its good rnough to satisfy an itch but I have to admit its neither a pure 4x nor a CK/EU style.  AI does some strategically clever things from time to time but most of the time they are rather obvlivious, so its easy to blob into something hard to beat
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: May 31, 2018, 10:47:33 am »

It is just a standard 4x really - it's not 'grand strategy' like CK2 or anything like that. If you like standard 4x games like GalCiv2 or Endless Space then it's a pretty good example of one with slightly sub-standard AI and a bit micromanage-y

It has decent replayability due to a lot of different event chains and a few very different play styles.

Worth it on sale, just don't be expecting a deep, grand strategy.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: June 08, 2018, 06:41:43 am »

AI empires are no challenge if you don't let them cheat on higher difficulties. But you'll most likely lose a lot of playthroughs for other reasons anyway. However, it's the prob with all strategy games, AI sucks. Only the LoL neural network AI that consistently manages to beat the world champion seems to be good enough :D But, for some reason people are reluctant about adding in better AI in their games, probably because they get "good enough" (not for me) results at a lower cost.

About colonizing:

- Colonizing will always pay off research-wise if your new colony manages to produce at least one third of your average per planet science output.

- For unity you need at least 80% of the average unity output per planet in the long run. But in the beginning it can be sufficient with much less. Up to 10 planets ~50%. 0.8 * planets / (planets + 4)
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: June 08, 2018, 09:48:56 am »

I like that they add soundtracks with the DLCs, wasn't enough before.

Stellaris Distant Stars Soundtrack - Into the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXQ0msyoNbk

Resemblance with the main theme from the civilization series though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtK388b9drE / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtO7bSRzOjI

"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: June 11, 2018, 03:08:34 pm »

Ran into my first leviathan yesterday.  I'm surprised it took that long, since I've halfway played maybe 8 games over the past two weeks while doing mod development and getting ganked by pirates until I learned to build up to 10 corvettes ASAP.

The stellarite devourer ate my science ship so fast that the crew probably didn't feel it at least.

The wiki is not really telling me much, and appears to be for an older version of Stellaris anyway.  I'm hoping it will stay in the system it spawned in, since I get the feeling that you need tens of thousands of fleet power to have a hope of killing it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 632