Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1659079 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7230 on: October 30, 2018, 01:43:29 pm »

They already calculate score in their other games. I imagine it's going to be a sum of multiple things as in Vicky, but it's hard to say exactly what. Either that or they'll do EU4 great powers based on population or something.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: November 01, 2018, 09:25:42 am »

New dev diary, talking about Ecumenopolis and Megastructures. It doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know from previous twittering and streams and stuff.

More interesting to me was from twitter on what Agrarian Idyll is going to be:

Making it so your rural districts provide a sustainable amount of housing and amenities, and additionally (not pictured but said on twitter) the normal tech increases to city housing will be replaced with tech increases to farm housing, eventually presumably making it so your farms have more housing then even your cities (thus presumably totally supplanting the cities). It's a pretty cool civic for what I assume is suppose to be a sorta go wide and produce a LOT of base resources. Maybe they'll be part of the equation for how to make trade actually work and be a thing worth doing (although I feel like there's a few too many barriers to that right now, but we'll see.)

I wouldn't mind seeing some equivalent civics for rural empires focused on mining and/or energy generation (and maybe slaves) as well, to flesh out the options for low density empires.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 09:28:37 am by Criptfeind »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: November 01, 2018, 09:30:13 am »

Beat me to it.

I really like the way some of the new megastructures look, but it's kind of annoying that the devs haven't answered any questions the posters asked yet.  For example, I too am wondering if the structure that boosts defense platforms grants a max bonus to every star base or what that meant.  Being able to plop down 40+ defense platforms on a starbase would make them genuinely useful for holding chokepoints.

I'm undecided if I'll end up using ecumenopoli yet.  After seeing some numbers, they actually look like they'll be very good, but the fact that it takes another ascension perk may make it a hard sell to me, especially now that sources of unity are going to be substantially more rare.  It looks like the devs are trying to make it so that you're much less guaranteed to unlock all 8 ascension perk slots by the end game year now, which may be a good thing.  It increases the value of the choices you make, although it's going to make some of those choices really hard if some restrictions aren't removed in the process.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: November 01, 2018, 10:31:01 am »

I'll certainly be making ecumenopoli in my first game, if just because it's the new thing. That said for the "big planet wot I can build" the ringworld is pretty attractive now that it comes with a billion "big dick statues wot I can build" in the form of megastructures and as you say, possibly less ascensions in a game. Heck, with habitats buffed and such they are also pretty attractive for such a thing. And it'd be hard to justify all 3 since you'll need to be pulling minerals from some normal planets at some point presumably. So I can see it not being sorta... Worth it in a lot of games.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: November 01, 2018, 10:49:35 am »

One thing I'm wondering is if ecumenopoli will be limited to one per empire.  I'm expecting that they won't be, since there are heavy costs involved and some downsides, and I guess they're kind of analogous to ringworlds in some ways.

A ton of players are calling for the ability to build multiple megastructures in parallel now, given how many there are, and I think I'll jump aboard that train.  Some people suggested letting the Master Builders perk allow you to build two in parallel, and that seems reasonable to me.  There are some balance issues though.  Megastructures are really becoming kind of a necessary thing to have and the time requirement forces you to prioritize and make choices, but I really like building them so I'm not overly bothered by letting empires build more than one at a time.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: November 01, 2018, 12:21:47 pm »

New From SpaceCo: SpaceCo Land
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: November 01, 2018, 12:39:40 pm »

It seems weird to me that gestalts don't get ecumenopoli (or some aesthetically different equivalent, although I suppose Machine Worlds sort of count for machine intelligences). You'd think that not having to account for the happiness of the inhabitants would make arcologies an even more attractive option for maximally utilizing a planet.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: November 01, 2018, 12:48:10 pm »

It's been confirmed that machine worlds are getting some changes, so will probably be the machine consciousness equivalent. Wiz said hiveminds might get a hive world, but it's not decided yet. So, keeping in theme with hiveminds being worse and getting less then machine consciousnesses :P

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: November 01, 2018, 01:11:39 pm »

Some kind of equivalent to machine worlds would make a lot of sense, but the ecumenopoli as they are wouldn't make much sense.  They probably could just change up how the city arcology districts work, but it would be even better if there was a thematic version that fit more along with hive minds.  What that is I honestly don't know, since I haven't ever played as them, but maybe a bonus to empire cohesion or unity.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: November 01, 2018, 01:45:22 pm »

Some kind of equivalent to machine worlds would make a lot of sense, but the ecumenopoli as they are wouldn't make much sense.  They probably could just change up how the city arcology districts work, but it would be even better if there was a thematic version that fit more along with hive minds.  What that is I honestly don't know, since I haven't ever played as them, but maybe a bonus to empire cohesion or unity.

Pop growth speed would make some sense, but hive minds have little to them thematically as it stands.

It does depend on how you see ecumenopoli, though. I assume that they're intended to be a fuzzy catchall for all the SFnal ways people develop a planet to the extent of its available surface area and artificially compensate for the environmental and thermodynamic consequences. It certainly feels like hive minds should be able to develop planet-scale beehives if normal empires can build planet-scale cities, and having some kind of allocatable "and this giant mass of drones will build these things" mechanic analogous to ecumenopolis districts is a logical way to do that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7240 on: November 01, 2018, 02:22:48 pm »

One thing I'm wondering is if ecumenopoli will be limited to one per empire.  I'm expecting that they won't be, since there are heavy costs involved and some downsides, and I guess they're kind of analogous to ringworlds in some ways.
Martin said in one of the streams that they are not limited, but he warned that they can be very very difficult to maintain. They cannot support themselves at all, as you cannot farm or mine on them and since the population can go into the hundreds they will require huge inflows of minerals and food to sustain.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: November 01, 2018, 02:40:10 pm »

That would make sense.  One thing that I think will be interesting is to see how ecumenopoli compare to ring worlds.  My initial thought was that building a ring world to act as a massive agricultural center would be the natural solution to that, but if you're building a ring world in the first place you're already building something that can do most of what an ecumenopolis can.  I don't remember the exact numbers, and they can surely change, but it comes out to ring worlds filling a similar niche, I think.  Less population and job density, but with the flexibility of growing their own food.  Still no minerals though, I suppose.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: November 01, 2018, 02:56:48 pm »

I'm just hoping that at some point they acknowledge that each ring world segment is thousands of planets' worth of habitable surface area, which seems like it'd be moddable with special gigantic ringworld-only districts if not actually built in. (After which it'd be nice for a ringworld to be a single object rather than four of them.)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: November 01, 2018, 03:12:25 pm »

Agreed, but I think they're headed in the right direction with this patch at least.  I feel like I saw a screen shot where each section had 50 districts, which is a ton compared to normal planets.  Still nowhere near what it should be, but it's getting there.

I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't just ditch the 4-segment concept with this patch and increase it to 200 districts.  The main reason I can think of is the planetary modifiers for specializing it will work better this way, where you can have a segment dedicated to growing food that becomes an agri-world for the +5-10% to food generation.  Or whatever the numbers end up being.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7244 on: November 01, 2018, 03:39:32 pm »

Yeah each ringworld segment will be size 50 now, supporting huge numbers of pops. I expect there will be mods which alter ringworlds further, in fact I'm planning to make one for my own purposes which sets each segment to something like size 1000 if that works.
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 632