Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658980 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7245 on: November 01, 2018, 03:49:11 pm »

Yeah each ringworld segment will be size 50 now, supporting huge numbers of pops. I expect there will be mods which alter ringworlds further, in fact I'm planning to make one for my own purposes which sets each segment to something like size 1000 if that works.
Jesus.

How would it even fit on the screen? Oh wait, they're changing the whole pop system aren't they.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: November 01, 2018, 03:53:39 pm »

The big (heh) issue there is how it would display that many district squares.  I'd fully expect some graphical hilarity on the planet detail screen, although it may function perfectly fine.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: November 01, 2018, 04:23:42 pm »

The big (heh) issue there is how it would display that many district squares.  I'd fully expect some graphical hilarity on the planet detail screen, although it may function perfectly fine.

Yeah. That's why I think bigger districts might be a more user-friendly solution.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7248 on: November 01, 2018, 04:36:28 pm »

Good point. Maybe I'll just make new districts which would extend the 'effective size' due to larger outputs and job numbers. There may only be 50 district spots but if one district had 20x the effect of a normal one, it would effectively be the same as 20 of those single districts.

I can only imagine the costs in consumer goods and food that a size 4000 fully populated ringworld would require.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: November 01, 2018, 05:39:01 pm »

I'm just hoping that at some point they acknowledge that each ring world segment is thousands of planets' worth of habitable surface area, which seems like it'd be moddable with special gigantic ringworld-only districts if not actually built in. (After which it'd be nice for a ringworld to be a single object rather than four of them.)

I'm sure this won't ever happen. Because it just goes way past the scale of the game. If you let ringworlds be a realistic size either you increase the building costs as well to an impossible to reach but realistic level, or... Don't, and as soon as the first ringworld is made it eclipses the rest of the game as you have like stellaris Galaxy<Ringworld. For the same reason that a Dyson sphere doesn't just totally remove any idea of energy as a limitation in the game. It'd be too game changing.

It'd be really cool if these complete dynamic shifts were in the game, where the game fundamentally changed as you went up the Kardashev scale, but it'd be a completely different game.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: November 01, 2018, 05:43:26 pm »

You could probably mod it so that you could build arcology districts on a ring world.  That would give huge populations and job numbers.

Actually, I only assume you won't be able to do that in vanilla.  It would make sense to be able to, but I imagine it won't be allowed.

I'm also curious if ecumenopoli may actually end up being effectively self sustaining through the galactic market by trading off goods manufactured in exchange for food and raw materials.  Probably not, or at least not for long once you start buying up so much.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: November 01, 2018, 05:57:56 pm »

Actually, I only assume you won't be able to do that in vanilla.  It would make sense to be able to, but I imagine it won't be allowed.

I think it's been confirmed that you can't do that. Ringworlds are going to get their own districts though. Efficent for food and energy. No minerals.

We don't really know much about the numbers that are going to be involved in the market at all. Perhaps it will be lucrative enough and with enough price decay to make self sufficient planets that make shit and pull raw resources from the aether work. I doubt it'll be efficient, but maybe possible. If there was more reason to use the market, maybe you'd have an easier time keeping the prices sane, because people would want to sell to you. But who knows.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:01:34 pm by Criptfeind »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: November 01, 2018, 09:36:19 pm »

I'm sure this won't ever happen. Because it just goes way past the scale of the game. If you let ringworlds be a realistic size either you increase the building costs as well to an impossible to reach but realistic level, or... Don't, and as soon as the first ringworld is made it eclipses the rest of the game as you have like stellaris Galaxy<Ringworld.

I could see a ringworld being quasi-realistically limited by population growth rates to being an initially small source of resources that will increase in productivity without meaningful limit given enough time (with human assumptions, probably centuries), particularly if they can't be self-sustaining. Then it's more of a thing that will eventually make you invincible provided you can keep the rest of the galaxy from seizing and/or destroying it or its mineral supply, which could be a neat way to play tall.

Something to mod, I suppose.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: November 02, 2018, 02:46:40 am »

I feel the need to underfeed and underpolice my city-worlds so they can find their natural state as corrupt, crime-ridden, starving ruins where the ruling classes feast and the poor hunger. Maybe with a prison planet next door to take whoever the judges decide are guilty.

It is difficult to make a dystopia in Stellaris - my natural instinct to play well and efficiently intervenes - but I’m hoping the changes will let me pull it off while otherwise retaining a somewhat functional empire. Hmm, maybe if I play a crime syndicate and make everyone else’s worlds like that...
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7254 on: November 02, 2018, 10:05:48 am »

Yesterday I had a dream about making a Stellaris mod, which is odd as I haven't played Stellaris at all in a while. The mod in question was a total overhaul, & a fairly simple one at that, with very few actual mechanical changes. In the dream the rate of star system generation was greatly reduced, while the rate of black hole / blank system generation was greatly increased. Events were fiddled with so you'd get occasional rare events like finding a starving prethoryn fleet or a rare event with a MTTH of 500 making a star system supernova and take out every planet in the system. Ship maintenance was increased to the point where even a flotilla of 3 corvettes was a significant fleet, while repeatable techs were greatly nerfed. The various megabeasts were nerfed combats-wise to compensate for the smaller fleets, but the solar parasite was more like an end-game crisis as if it was left alone for too long, it would devour the solar system's star before moving on to the next system until it was killed / the galaxy went dark. The localisation was changed and some events fiddled with in order to make the playthrough one that was taking place close to the heat death of the universe, with your star empire being amongst the few remaining civilisations before the last stars all go out. The end-game diverged in several paths based around attempts to survive the heat death of the universe, from merging the universe with the shroud, to closing the loop, to creating a micro-universe
I feel compelled to make it once the game is updated with beautiful vic2 mechanics

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: November 02, 2018, 10:21:13 am »

Yesterday I had a dream about making a Stellaris mod, which is odd as I haven't played Stellaris at all in a while. The mod in question was a total overhaul, & a fairly simple one at that, with very few actual mechanical changes. In the dream the rate of star system generation was greatly reduced, while the rate of black hole / blank system generation was greatly increased. Events were fiddled with so you'd get occasional rare events like finding a starving prethoryn fleet or a rare event with a MTTH of 500 making a star system supernova and take out every planet in the system. Ship maintenance was increased to the point where even a flotilla of 3 corvettes was a significant fleet, while repeatable techs were greatly nerfed. The various megabeasts were nerfed combats-wise to compensate for the smaller fleets, but the solar parasite was more like an end-game crisis as if it was left alone for too long, it would devour the solar system's star before moving on to the next system until it was killed / the galaxy went dark. The localisation was changed and some events fiddled with in order to make the playthrough one that was taking place close to the heat death of the universe, with your star empire being amongst the few remaining civilisations before the last stars all go out. The end-game diverged in several paths based around attempts to survive the heat death of the universe, from merging the universe with the shroud, to closing the loop, to creating a micro-universe
I feel compelled to make it once the game is updated with beautiful vic2 mechanics
Seems like a great idea, actually.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: November 02, 2018, 10:34:20 am »

That does sound pretty cool, actually.  Balancing sounds like it would be a real chore, but making the game hard sounds like half of the point.

Unrelated, but someone noticed a benefit to ecumenopoleis (which I just discovered is the proper plural...) that I didn't earlier, which does make them more attractive.  While a ring world has a potentially higher max population, ecumenopoleis have far fewer districts for the same population counts, which will impose less penalties based on empire size.  That changes my feelings on them somewhat, but I'll still have to wait and see how the empire size works out in practice before I make any decision on whether to use them or not.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: November 02, 2018, 04:33:52 pm »

Aw yiss, I'm allowed to Hallow the Holy Worlds of my Holy Guardian neighbors.  This is going to cost significant Influence, but the stacked unity gains... 

Fanatic Spiritualist Militarists, but I wouldn't describe us as crusaders.  We're a Corporate Dominion who happens to have a Distinguished Admiralty.

We're not exactly "religious", we just want power overwhelming, gold, and to ban necromancy.  We're the Scyldari Mage Guild.
Because spellcasting will always be OP

And naturally my first two neighbors were literally mirrors of my ideology, fanatical materialistic pacifists.  A despotism and a democracy, oddly, but they still formed treaties easily because neither is egalitarian.  It's okay, they're pacifists.

Third neighbor is also pacifist - fanatic authoritarian.  As someone who tended to start out pacifist and "randomly" surrounded by militants, this feels pretty good.
I understand they have bonuses and will join together if I threaten them, but at least they aren't bashing down my door as I try to carve out my space.  Nice neighbors.

Gotta fix that soulless materialism (martial classes amirite?) but besides that, very nice.  I still have access to liberation wars, if I don't go for vassalization instead.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: November 03, 2018, 09:27:50 am »

I'm officially in the "habitat snowball" phase of gameplay and I have to bail out one of my tributaries. I kicked their ass a little harder than I planned and now they have literally no fleet and no capacity to create one. Pirates have destroyed everything they own, there are three pirate groups fighting each other because the interstellar empire officially has nothing else to plunder. I have to give them a cash infusion and spank their enemies if I want to get that income stream back.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:30:17 am by Broseph Stalin »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: November 03, 2018, 10:53:06 am »

I'm officially in the "habitat snowball" phase of gameplay and I have to bail out one of my tributaries. I kicked their ass a little harder than I planned and now they have literally no fleet and no capacity to create one. Pirates have destroyed everything they own, there are three pirate groups fighting each other because the interstellar empire officially has nothing else to plunder. I have to give them a cash infusion and spank their enemies if I want to get that income stream back.
That's what happens when you destabilize governments, Cheney.
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 632