Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658898 times)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7560 on: December 13, 2018, 02:47:30 pm »

If nothing, else AI empires that seemingly had no interest in expansion got their acts together with the Glavius AI mod. I played almost 100 years without it though. Maybe closer to 80...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7561 on: December 13, 2018, 03:12:43 pm »

I honestly couldn't play without the larger sectors mods. Too many one planet sectors, it got annoying.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7562 on: December 13, 2018, 03:59:04 pm »

Playing my first criminal syndicate and wow, these guys can be brutal. I opened a branch office on the homeworld of the first race I met and dropped down an illicit research lab, this increased crime on their planet to epic proportions. Crime is now 100% as they have a corrupt governor and 'mob rule' from events. They can barely eek out a living and have had to dismiss most of their ships just to keep their economy afloat. With that one building I rendered them completely nonthreatening, they can barely afford anything.

The second empire I found I dropped down a smuggler's port. I'm now getting around 25 energy in trade value from them and their crime is steadily rising out of their control. Both of them went from superior to me to inferior in the span of a decade. Part of that is that the AI seems to not know how to manage crime, a player would have scrapped some buildings and build more enforcers to reduce crime and kick out the criminal syndicate eventually.

You're pretty lucky then, people, myself included, report the opposite, AI building tons of enforcer, with no reason. I tried once to open a branch office. Boom, three enforcer buildings.
I've found them to mostly build enforcers until crime gets into the thirties, though this is based on exactly one game. The difference may stem from what stage of the game you do it in, perhaps?

It tends to take around a decade for them to pay for themselves, though, which is the real downside in my opinion. Not worth the 50% size penalty for playing a corporation.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:01:22 pm by Cruxador »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7563 on: December 13, 2018, 05:10:47 pm »

Playing my first criminal syndicate and wow, these guys can be brutal. I opened a branch office on the homeworld of the first race I met and dropped down an illicit research lab, this increased crime on their planet to epic proportions. Crime is now 100% as they have a corrupt governor and 'mob rule' from events. They can barely eek out a living and have had to dismiss most of their ships just to keep their economy afloat. With that one building I rendered them completely nonthreatening, they can barely afford anything.

The second empire I found I dropped down a smuggler's port. I'm now getting around 25 energy in trade value from them and their crime is steadily rising out of their control. Both of them went from superior to me to inferior in the span of a decade. Part of that is that the AI seems to not know how to manage crime, a player would have scrapped some buildings and build more enforcers to reduce crime and kick out the criminal syndicate eventually.

You're pretty lucky then, people, myself included, report the opposite, AI building tons of enforcer, with no reason. I tried once to open a branch office. Boom, three enforcer buildings.
Its possible I caught them early enough that they simply can't afford to build the enforcer buildings, sending them into a vicious spiral of doom.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7564 on: December 13, 2018, 05:58:20 pm »

The max crime increase you can do on a planet with less than 50 pops is is +75. A single Enforcers office is -75, totally neutralizing your advantage without spending resources on a crack down. If you find a poorly managed planet you can send them into a spiral because the crime problems build upon themselves but in general criminal branch offices are a losing bet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7565 on: December 13, 2018, 06:06:00 pm »

The max crime increase you can do on a planet with less than 50 pops is is +75. A single Enforcers office is -75, totally neutralizing your advantage without spending resources on a crack down. If you find a poorly managed planet you can send them into a spiral because the crime problems build upon themselves but in general criminal branch offices are a losing bet.
?? Enforcers do -25 crime, not -75.

Here's the planet in question

They had ZERO crime and around 73% stability before I put my illicit research lab on their world.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 06:12:01 pm by forsaken1111 »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7566 on: December 13, 2018, 06:14:01 pm »

?? Enforcers do -25 crime, not -75.
He said single enforcer office (the precinct houses or whatever it's called). Together with the basic capital building that's 3 jobs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7567 on: December 13, 2018, 06:16:07 pm »

Ah, sorry. Misread it as 'enforcer officer'

In this case they can't seem to afford one, or are just unwilling to swap a building out.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7568 on: December 13, 2018, 06:21:41 pm »

Conversely, you're neutralizing their enforcers, allowing the natural crime from pops to flourish. You're still looking at an income in the low double digits in exchange for an investment in the thousands, but it's worth doing in the long run, assuming you have the dosh to spare. It would probably even be worth a civic slot compared to a normal empire. But it's just not worth being a corporation for.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7569 on: December 13, 2018, 06:26:58 pm »

Should have been clearer about my numbers, my bad.

You've imposed +65, that's the only number you control. You can't spend resources to foment unrest or do something clever. If they had zero crime when you built your branch office they either had martial law in effect or picked up a bunch of pops because they take +69 naturally and can only do -37.

Conversely, you're neutralizing their enforcers, allowing the natural crime from pops to flourish. You're still looking at an income in the low double digits in exchange for an investment in the thousands, but it's worth doing in the long run, assuming you have the dosh to spare. It would probably even be worth a civic slot compared to a normal empire. But it's just not worth being a corporation for.
I don't think so. You can only cause a little bit of trouble before you're outmaneuvered and you're burning influence and resources on the investment. If it doesn't pan out they can very quickly shut you down. I don't know that I've ever had the cost of investment actually pay off. It's also impossible to start a criminal enterprise on a planet that has a legitimate enterprise so all anyone has to do to permanently block you from encroaching on their worlds is strike a trade deal.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7570 on: December 13, 2018, 06:59:03 pm »

Kinda sounds like Stellaris needs some mechanics for espionage and such before that can really become interesting.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7571 on: December 13, 2018, 07:07:03 pm »

I don't think so. You can only cause a little bit of trouble before you're outmaneuvered and you're burning influence and resources on the investment. If it doesn't pan out they can very quickly shut you down. I don't know that I've ever had the cost of investment actually pay off. It's also impossible to start a criminal enterprise on a planet that has a legitimate enterprise so all anyone has to do to permanently block you from encroaching on their worlds is strike a trade deal.
I haven't found either of these problems to be common.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7572 on: December 13, 2018, 07:10:08 pm »

Kinda sounds like Stellaris needs some mechanics for espionage and such before that can really become interesting.
That would be great, if I could spend a little extra to increase the chance of negative events on the planet or really do anything pro-active. It seems like a criminal corporation would be ideal for economic sabotage but you can do very little and can be countered very simply.

I haven't found either of these problems to be common.

I've found them to be extremely common. There are always two or three other corporations vying for spots and they tend to beat me out to a good number of juicy worlds. When I do get a world I'd say about 2/3s of the time I get shut down fairly quickly.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7573 on: December 13, 2018, 09:19:07 pm »

Has anyone else noticed rebellions in neighboring empires? Or are your opponents somehow in better shape than mine?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7574 on: December 14, 2018, 05:01:40 am »

Occasionally. They never expand out of their one system, nor are they reconquered. Most empires I see manage to stay whole just fine, though, but there’s definitely some problems there.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 632