Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658955 times)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7575 on: December 14, 2018, 05:42:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The funny thing about this image is the Hantak League and the Mandate of Zoldar are vassals of the Jogollwa Autocracy. The former two had room to expand as you see. The Hantak League is the oldest, and notable for rebelling with two systems.

Just for fun, here's the two other rebellious empires in my galaxy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think has to my favorite game of Stellaris. I'm sinking under the weight of my 20 planets though. And if I so desired I could colonize about 6 or 7 more! Or take over my neighbors who are half my size.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:49:07 am by Vgray »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7576 on: December 14, 2018, 08:11:26 am »

I consistently hear good things about it, but have never tried it myself.  I don't even really care about the achievements, and yet I stopped using my own portrait mods over it for some reason...

Anyway, in other news, Wiz announced that he's stepping down as director of Stellaris to work on a new, secret project at Paradox.  Theories abound on what it is, or what the future of Stellaris will be.  Another director was named already, and Stellaris is Paradox's best seller right now so it's not going away, but who knows what it might mean about the direction of the game.
VICTORIA 3
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7577 on: December 14, 2018, 09:09:58 am »

VICTORIA 3
Be careful what you wish for. Paradox might just give us Victoria III... Divided into a billion DLC, and somehow still shallower than II

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7578 on: December 14, 2018, 09:13:02 am »

it wouldnt be Vic 2, it would be dessicated husk of vic 2.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7579 on: December 14, 2018, 01:30:32 pm »

New beta patch is out, should fix more things on AI side and reduce lag.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7580 on: December 14, 2018, 01:56:47 pm »

Hum, AI handling it's economy better sounds good, however nothing on making them actually... Do. Anything. Still think I'll wait and see if they can accomplish that first.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7581 on: December 14, 2018, 02:37:44 pm »

I mean with criminal syndicates, you guys understand that even if they counter you with enforcers, it's literally their only option right? There's not really another way to counter someone who can instantly boost your crime by 75, minimum. their other option would be losing the game.

At the least, this means their planet has nearly-permanent modifiers if they manage to kick you out quickly, and oh yes you just dictated 3 of the buildings on their planet to them. Even if you aren't getting a pile of money you are basically wrecking their economy for the cost of upkeep on those syndicate buildings. Criminal syndicates are terrifyingly effective. I've weakened empires to the point where they are basically neutered and I can walk in with a 2k fleet to subjugate them.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:01:58 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7582 on: December 14, 2018, 03:00:39 pm »

Does anyone know if the patch fixed lag from gateways?  I saw someone ask on Paradox's forums but they didn't get an answer.

I've been afraid to repair or build any gateways because of the bug, so it would be great if the bug was fixed in this patch, or if it was a more general lag fix.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7583 on: December 14, 2018, 05:00:22 pm »

I think the real problem is that crime is modeled too simplistically for meaningful interactions with crime syndicates.

For example, crime could be modeled with an exponential curve, rather than a linear one. So there'd always be a small amount of crime, with diminishing returns for lowering it.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7584 on: December 14, 2018, 05:00:43 pm »

I've weakened empires to the point where they are basically neutered and I can walk in with a 2k fleet to subjugate them.

To be perfectly fair, I've found that this accurately describes most AI empires in 2.2, with or without a criminal enterprise.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7585 on: December 14, 2018, 05:03:18 pm »

I think the real problem is that crime is modeled too simplistically for meaningful interactions with crime syndicates.

For example, crime could be modeled with an exponential curve, rather than a linear one. So there'd always be a small amount of crime, with diminishing returns for lowering it.

I agree that it is a bit simplistic. It's found branch, build stuff, forget. Some more in-depth interactions would certainly be appreciated.

I've weakened empires to the point where they are basically neutered and I can walk in with a 2k fleet to subjugate them.

To be perfectly fair, I've found that this accurately describes most AI empires in 2.2, with or without a criminal enterprise.

Fair, but crime stuff is fire-and-forget. You can employ crime attacks alongside other, more conventional methods.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7586 on: December 14, 2018, 08:51:18 pm »

Is it just me, or is the clerk job a huge waste of a pop? The tiny bit of trade value and amenities it produces seems really lackluster compared to the other jobs. I changed my Commercial Zone for a Holo Theater and ended up getting way more amenities and some unity to boot, with my extra 3 pops working in mining and farming sectors. I guess it might be kind of useful if near your capital and you just want lots of trade value to benefit from trade with other empires, but having to deal with piracy to protect a bunch of trade from clerks on distant colonies just to just about break even on it seems counter-productive.

I took a look at one world where I had some aliens migrate there with low habitability and take clerk jobs and realized that they are actually losing me resources. It's 15% habitability, so it consumes 1.85 food and 0.4625 consumer goods and 1.85 amenities. It produces 2 amenities and 2 trade value (which converts to 1 energy and 0.5 consumer goods). So it's producing a net of 0.15 amenity, 0.0375 consumer good, and 1 energy in exchange for 1.8 food. I could just sell the food and end up with more value...
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7587 on: December 14, 2018, 08:57:58 pm »

It's not just you. Clerks are basically just a stopgap if you have no other source of amenities, or an unemployment buffer if you do. Their biggest merit is their accessibility.

That said, 15% habitability is a bad thing no matter what. Aliens shouldn't want to go to a world like that, but the way that the species is chosen for pop growth (both immigration and natural) is all fucky right now. Hopefully Moregård will fix it, but he's got a lot to do.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7588 on: December 14, 2018, 09:32:34 pm »

Yeah, I'm finding that having a multi-racial egalitarian empire is pretty broken right now due largely to that. I noticed that most of my planets in my mixed race empire would be like 1/4 the pop I settled it with (the ones with like 60-80% habitability) and 3/4 other random pops, with half the pups having 5-15% habitability. Like right now the pop growing on my homeworld is a non-adaptive mollusc with 5% habitability on it instead of my own people who have 100%. My growth rates are great due to all the migration coming in, but it's all races with shitty habitability on the worlds they're moving to. I have migration treaties with a race of every single habitability preference so I can settle anything, but after the first pop arrives the migrants are all desert preference on arctic worlds and such.

I found a rather funny fast researching build. Just go egalitarian and get utopian and build lots of cities and keep most of your people unemployed. Huge research and unity. Dedicate the rest of the people to growing food and producing consumer goods lol. Just can't do migration treaties because all the unemployed people would rather migrate to the slave empire next door as slaves rather than live in abundance as freelance artists and scientists.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7589 on: December 14, 2018, 10:10:44 pm »

Does anyone know if the patch fixed lag from gateways?  I saw someone ask on Paradox's forums but they didn't get an answer.

I've been afraid to repair or build any gateways because of the bug, so it would be great if the bug was fixed in this patch, or if it was a more general lag fix.

I've gone from each day taking 5s to every fourth day taking 5s. So it's 75% less bad, but still problematic.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 632