Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658803 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7620 on: December 16, 2018, 01:00:28 am »

The penalties for empire size are currently pretty darn small, Smaller then it used to be at least. And especially planets, which only really cost empire size if you're using them... Uh. Well, if you resettle to another planet, presumably you have to then build up that planet, thus getting the empire size from that planet instead. And more planets means more pop growth (for some reason) and pop growth is pretty important. I don't see the point in not having as many planets as possible given that. So long as they aren't absolutely terrible low habitability planets.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7621 on: December 16, 2018, 02:20:05 am »

Huh. I managed to get jump drives before hyper drive III. I got 10% research progress via event. Is that the normal way to get jump drive tech? In any case, it seems like the game wouldn't let me upgrade my ships until I also had hyper drive III.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: December 16, 2018, 03:12:13 am »

The penalties for empire size are currently pretty darn small, Smaller then it used to be at least. And especially planets, which only really cost empire size if you're using them... Uh. Well, if you resettle to another planet, presumably you have to then build up that planet, thus getting the empire size from that planet instead. And more planets means more pop growth (for some reason) and pop growth is pretty important. I don't see the point in not having as many planets as possible given that. So long as they aren't absolutely terrible low habitability planets.
The Empire size penalty is completely ignorable, like before.

The gains from having a super large Empire will easily overwrite the penalties. Research and unity start off absurdly slow but by the mid game you will blitz through it no matter what.

I had a research penalty rate of over 500% at one point in the mid game and I was still getting tech every quarter. Didn't even build any research buildings as a hive mind. I actually forgot I had research buildings until the late game where I was trying to find jobs for my pops and had way too much of so the resources.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: December 16, 2018, 01:18:22 pm »

The speed of research feels off right now.  It starts off very slow, but the cost grows slowly compared to old versions, so if you get a few tech focused worlds, it takes off.  I'm at about 2440 and have ten levels of relevant repeatable techs.

I think the balance patch helps, since it reduces the number of jobs the upgraded buildings give, but it also really screwed up my ongoing game because I had to shuffle pops around.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7624 on: December 16, 2018, 04:02:09 pm »

Turns out stacking + trade makes clerks pretty good. Baseline they produce next to nothing, especially on sub-optimal worlds, but with a bunch of bonuses stacked they do alright.

Thrifty is key, though. It's 25% trade bonus, and unlike all other bonuses it's multiplicative with others. For example, say you have fanatic xenophile (+20% trade) and 10% bonus from stability and +10% bonus from the diplomacy tradition. So a trader gives you 2*1.4=2.8. Throw in Thrifty, and you get 2*1.25*1.4=3.5.

Even if you aren't focusing on trade, the extra 25% trade production on jobs is really nice. Thrifty is a really good trait.

The way this works make traits like Intelligent kind of sucky in comparison long-term. It's a 10% bonus that just gets added in to other bonuses instead of multiplied. And there is like +70% bonuses available from traits and the + research techs. I have an Intelligent worker in a lab next to one who isn't Intelligent and they're producing 7.6 and 7.2.

With Thrifty and some + trade bonuses you can do silly stuff like turning a world into nothing but city districts and commerce megaplexes and pulling in 1100+ trade value. That's only really viable on the capital area, though - can you imagine trying to manage piracy on trade routes that had a bunch of 1100+ trade value worlds? You would have to have huge war fleets doing patrols.

Using ringworlds as trade worlds is actually pretty good. I've heard people say they were useless, but if you fill them up with commerce megaplexes and city districts and farms you can produce a huge surplus of food and energy and consumer goods, then focus all your other worlds on producing minerals and alloys and the rare resources. But you would want to make sure any ringworld for this purpose is built within 6 jumps of your capital starbase to avoid piracy.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:03:48 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: December 17, 2018, 01:37:28 am »

The key with commerce buildings is that if you make city districts its almost impossible to employ all your pops.  But if you make resource districts its hard to get building slots.  So if all you want to do is make a planet that mass produces something like research or synthesized crystals, commerce buildings let you get those slots without mass unemployment.  This is especially helpful if you have a lot of slaves, since slaves can't have good living conditions the only thing keeping them from causing unrest is being busy.

Remember, per worker clerks suck.  But 5 clerks is 10 amenities and 10 trade value.  That's 10 energy, or 5 energy/2.5 consumer goods, or 5 energy/1.25 unity.  Compare to a hydroponics bay, which gives 12 food and only employs 2 pops.

The other key is that if you upgrade them they give you a merchant.

Edit: Oh, also, BIG tip for trade focused empires.  No colony within 6 jumps of your capital should have an upgraded starbase if you can avoid it.  If you put 6 trade hubs on your capital's station, none of that trade needs to be protected.  Then just put all your trade value in those core worlds.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 01:50:15 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: December 17, 2018, 04:19:13 am »

does anybody know if there is a tab to see all modifiers of your empire.
for instance i get -25% consumer goods production and +80% food production from empire modifier.
the -25% i finally found at the economy law but the 80% extra food from empire is a mystery to me.
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: December 17, 2018, 05:04:03 am »

Big shiny button of your flag on the top left will bring up your government screen.  Includes empire effects.

It seems the AI really has a trouble with slave revolts.  Like, really bad.  Three empires have lost 3-4 systems each in my current game. 

The funniest one was taken over by a species they added clone to their name.  Thing is they are nerve stapled.  So their leaders are nerve stapled clones of a work horse/army species.  I see them going far.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: December 17, 2018, 05:09:51 am »

From what I’ve seen, the problem is that they don’t populate any enforcer jobs on those worlds. They might build a shitton of police buildings, but the planet will only have slave pops (with maybe a few non-slave ruler pops) and so there are no free pops to work them.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: December 17, 2018, 07:35:53 am »

Big shiny button of your flag on the top left will bring up your government screen.  Includes empire effects.

that screen only tells me where 20% of the 80% empire modifier comes from but the other 60% is still unknown.
is there a screen where there is a list of all resources and all the modifiers  that effect those resources?
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: December 17, 2018, 08:38:53 am »

Does someone know if a heavy populated planet with massive trade value is more worth than a full 10 district generator planet ? Because right now I don't really see the benefit of an "urban world" meaning mostly city district to house a lot of population. And since the supermarket is, at beginning, one of the building with the most jobs slots, seems like a heavily populated planet only interest is going full trade value. I didn't find any other advantage at having a lot of population on a world, did you ?

Would be nice to have bonuses link to the population, maybe by building infrastructures that needs a lot of workers to be efficient but giving bonuses to thing like, for example, a orbital Drydock, giving ship building bonuses to the system's shipyards. Would make sense, with the extra manpower and potentials crew you can field.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7631 on: December 17, 2018, 09:35:09 am »

If we're just talking about maximizing clerks, you can fit 15 commerce megaplexes onto a size 16 homeworld. Discounting bonuses from tech/traditions or other ways to squeeze modifiers onto the pops, that provides 150 clerk jobs. 16 city districts provide another 16 clerk jobs for a total of 166. Each clerk job makes 2 trade value, so 332 trade value which can be made into energy, consumer goods or unity with policies.

With techs and traits you could drive that a lot higher. Put a stock exchange on the planet and you'd probably be closer to 400 trade value.

Energy districts are trickier because it depends entirely on luck, finding a planet with enough district capacity to make it worthwhile while an 'urban trade world' can be built literally anywhere so long as you can protect the trade. Larger worlds would be even more productive. Imagine 4 size 50 ringworld segments dedicated to trade, assuming you could feed the population.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: December 17, 2018, 09:35:49 am »

Does someone know if a heavy populated planet with massive trade value is more worth than a full 10 district generator planet ? Because right now I don't really see the benefit of an "urban world" meaning mostly city district to house a lot of population. And since the supermarket is, at beginning, one of the building with the most jobs slots, seems like a heavily populated planet only interest is going full trade value. I didn't find any other advantage at having a lot of population on a world, did you ?

more people to fill more research jobs. you just build more and more labs. especially on a planet with a research bonus (like wild storms)

(or alloy forges, or whatever)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7633 on: December 17, 2018, 09:39:00 am »

I've recently started experimenting with overproducing consumer goods and setting my pops to social welfare then maintaining a large unemployed population. Unemployed pops produce unity on social welfare so its been a nice unity boost to get a few specific traditions early, then I ship them off to colonies to work.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: December 17, 2018, 09:46:44 am »

finally had a chance to play a few hours of this, so i don't know much about how the gameplay shakes out later...

but the UI for all the new planet stuff is beyond atrocious. it really blows my mind how bad they made it all. and i get little phantom windows opening and closing whenever i close some of the new UIs.

also, is it normal that the game runs about 1/3 to 1/2 slower than before? even on day 1? jesus.
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 632