Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1659032 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7785 on: January 12, 2019, 03:20:06 pm »

Which is weird because there are models for ruined megastructures, and I'm pretty sure one of the dev diaries for 2.2 mentioned that they could be destroyed.  Well, colossi can destroy habitats and ringworld segments, right?

there are models for ruined ones because you can find old ones and repair them (in fact, you don't even need the Utopia DLC to do it).

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7786 on: January 12, 2019, 06:05:28 pm »

Yeah, even if they seem to be extremely rare.  I've only ever seen one, if I recall.

I'm just surprised that they didn't follow things to their natural conclusion and add the ability to ruin them again somehow.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7787 on: January 14, 2019, 10:54:12 am »

Yeah, even if they seem to be extremely rare.  I've only ever seen one, if I recall.

I'm just surprised that they didn't follow things to their natural conclusion and add the ability to ruin them again somehow.

if you play on smaller galaxies you won't see many. a Large galaxy can have two or even three.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7788 on: January 14, 2019, 11:23:39 am »

I keep wanting to find a ruined science nexus, because I'm curious if its research speed bonus stacks with one you build.  Not that you really need even more science boosts in 2.2 in its current state, but it would still be fun just to see the numbers go up.

The one ruined megastructure I found was a Dyson sphere, which admittedly was a very nice find too.  Being able to just repair it in a single step in stead of five construction steps was very nice.

Oh, I guess I did get Cybrex Alpha once, but that's a little different from the random megastructures.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7789 on: January 14, 2019, 11:45:28 am »

The one ruined megastructure I found was a Dyson sphere, which admittedly was a very nice find too.  Being able to just repair it in a single step in stead of five construction steps was very nice.

Was there ever an official explanation of why megastructures have five intermediate steps before they're complete, each of which can only be triggered manually? It's honestly the biggest obstacle to my building lots of them.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7790 on: January 14, 2019, 12:14:12 pm »

Probably to allow you to build them with installments of resources instead of 50K alloys up front.  That was arguably more important in older versions where resource caps were smaller, but it's still helpful now to be able to pay 10K alloys and start accumulating more for the next step instead of having to wait until you accumulate the whole project's worth of alloys.

It would probably make even more sense for it to be a monthly drain, but the game designers might think that having to accumulate some big chunk of resources feels more meaningful and engaging.  I guess that might be true.

Doing them in stages also lets you interleave their construction, since you're limited to one at a time, although that's a contentious issue on its own.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7791 on: January 14, 2019, 12:32:43 pm »

I guess the stages themselves make some sense, but it would be nice if we could toggle something to just automatically start the next one when the last one is done, provided we have the resources. Even if that were an option in the text box that pops up when you're done with a stage, it'd still spare us having to go find the one we want every time.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7792 on: January 18, 2019, 01:21:43 pm »

Patches 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 beta were just released.  Lots of stuff was fixed, including performance fixes, but sadly it looks like the Contingency and Prethoryn Scourge won't be completely fixed until next week some time.

I'll probably finish off my last game tonight anyway, despite waiting for an AI fix for the crises.  The Contingency's difficulty isn't as affected by them conquering planets so the challenge shouldn't be much reduced by the bug.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7793 on: January 18, 2019, 08:25:24 pm »

I keep wanting to find a ruined science nexus, because I'm curious if its research speed bonus stacks with one you build.  Not that you really need even more science boosts in 2.2 in its current state, but it would still be fun just to see the numbers go up.

Answer: Multiple science nexuses stack.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7794 on: January 30, 2019, 03:11:07 pm »

That's actually really surprising to hear.  Was the station armed with only kinetic weapons and was stripping the shields of each ship before finishing them off?  I've heard that ships armed with kinetic weapons try to do that to maximize weapon effectiveness, but I can't confirm I've seen that happen myself.  Unfortunately, there's no way to dictate what weapons a starbase is armed with, so you can't really help it if that's the problem, short of building a mixture of defense platforms, which suck in their own way.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7795 on: January 30, 2019, 03:21:55 pm »

I've found starbases to be little more than a deterrent save in cases of truly overwhelming power differences. They can't dodge, after all.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7796 on: January 30, 2019, 03:33:51 pm »

I have found that stations backed up by fleets can be immensely effective but stations alone are almost laughably trivial. A station with a few buff/debuff modules and a hangar or a bunch of missiles can really help an otherwise hopeless engagement between fleets but on its own it will get slaughtered

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7797 on: January 30, 2019, 03:44:20 pm »

My experience with stations suggests that you want to build them to support a fleet rather than fight on their own.  IIRC nothing should shoot at a station if a fleet is present, so its free to fire missiles or apply its buffs without concern.  Earlier in the game a defense station is a way to have half your fleet beat the whole enemy fleet... or at least that's how I look at it.  In station vs fleet battles the station's listed combat value definitely seems exaggerated.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7798 on: January 30, 2019, 04:19:14 pm »

A starbase can be very useful but if you can muster enough force to make a starbase tough enough to defend itself frankly you're probably punching down so hard you're wasting time worrying about defense. The key to a starbase is that they can make it really suck to fight somewhere. If you're evenly matched that can be the difference between ordering a tactical retreat and massacring hostile forces.
You can also use starbases as traps. I like to sprinkle hard hitting defense platforms in groups of one or two when I take a system. You can make sure retaking a system costs a corvette or two and you can hold the enemy fleet still for a few extra seconds when they're staying a step ahead of your guys. If you're evenly matched with an enemy take a system, let the base recover, and then bait them into attacking. Let them wear down their armor and shields fighting the base and then swoop in when they're soft.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7799 on: January 30, 2019, 04:35:08 pm »

I do definitely plop down a couple defense platforms in occupied systems. Disrupts that trickle of reinforcements nicely.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 632