Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658948 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7800 on: January 30, 2019, 05:04:36 pm »

A starbase can be very useful but if you can muster enough force to make a starbase tough enough to defend itself frankly you're probably punching down so hard you're wasting time worrying about defense.
Sometimes its the travel time more than the fleet power that gets me. In one of my games it takes >2 years to travel across my entire claimed territory end to end, so an unexpected war or a war when a fleet is out of position can be a problem. I have to station multiple fleets around to keep all areas covered and more to handle piracy. I can't just concentrate all fleet power on a whim. Well planned defensive stations really help and provide chokepoints to gather and hold at until more ships arrive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: January 31, 2019, 06:53:42 pm »

It absolutely does, yeah. I consider it a benefit of militarist, even if you don't intend to do war early.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: January 31, 2019, 07:08:19 pm »

I've noticed the same thing.  I have no idea why.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: January 31, 2019, 08:14:59 pm »

It's deliberate from what I gather.  It's probably intended to make the early game more interesting, but does mean that playing, say, xenophiles is annoying since your neighbors will hate you.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: January 31, 2019, 09:41:40 pm »

Interesting. I've noticed a preponderance of spiritualists near my materialists from time to time, but I also set my games up to include at least two fanatical purifiers, one metalhead, one devouring swarm, and one driven assimilator, so I didn't realize it was an intentional feature when I ended up with an unusual number of generally hostile neighbors. 

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: January 31, 2019, 09:54:58 pm »

Yep, the ai favors the opposite of your ethics. I assume it's to make sure you don't all stomp one guy and gather around the campfire singing kumbaya.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: February 01, 2019, 12:22:49 am »

It just makes sure that you are the one guy who gets stomped. It would be better if the game made sure there was a generally even mix of ethics, if not true random.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: February 01, 2019, 12:35:23 am »

It's kinda annoying, given that they spawn you next to a bunch of AIs that hate you, at the one point in the game where the AIs are the scariest. At times it can feel like the game revolves solely around climbing Mount Democraticrusader, and you either die or you make it to the top and the game suddenly has no more tricks to throw at you to keep you busy for the next 200+ years.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: February 01, 2019, 02:04:07 am »

Sometimes you get empires with similar ethics, though. Usually there's both, I think. I've had games where I've intended to enslave and conquer my neighbors from the get-go, only for them to turn out fellow authoritarians and militarists who like me so much I can't bring myself to attack them. Wonder if anyone's ever dug up how the spawning logic works and what the probabilities are.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: February 01, 2019, 03:56:29 am »

Yep, the ai favors the opposite of your ethics. I assume it's to make sure you don't all stomp one guy and gather around the campfire singing kumbaya.

That should be the role of the game crisis tho

ok so I picked it up again. created some custom races etc.

anyway: I got a question: how do you expand influence? I know you can build station to force it, but all other empires don't have to build a station on every single planet, while my empire is full of holes

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also, it seems I can't assign systems to sectors for management
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 12:26:25 pm by LoSboccacc »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: February 02, 2019, 06:58:15 pm »

Hey, how's the new content, and how hard is the adjustment?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: February 02, 2019, 07:21:53 pm »

anyway: I got a question: how do you expand influence? I know you can build station to force it, but all other empires don't have to build a station on every single planet, while my empire is full of holes

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also, it seems I can't assign systems to sectors for management

You build a station in every system now, it's part of the big changes in in 2.0 that happened about a year ago. Most of them you leave as tiny zero sized stations, only upgrading to real stations at important places or when you need certain modulus.

New in 2.2 you don't assign systems to sectors. Sectors are (somewhat awkwardly) automatically generated when you colonize a planet in a star cluster that doesn't have a system already. Also they no longer have their own resource bank, instead doing nothing by default (except seriously limiting the reach of the bonuses that governor leaders give, since leaders are now per sector instead of per planet, but in exchange have their cost tied to how large your empire is for some reason) although you can still give them permission and resources to automate them if you want. The idea is with the economic changes in 2.2 there's suppose to be less "pointless" clicking and things are suppose to be more based around actual decisions and hopefully less micromanagement, thus sectors would no longer really be needed and not do anything by default, but still there if you really want them. Personally I'm not sure if they really achieved that, but ymmv.

Hey, how's the new content, and how hard is the adjustment?

Imo the new content is full of good ideas implemented really poorly, like, shockingly poorly, and with zero actual testing. Although now, a month and a half after release, some of the more glaring bugs have been fixed, there's still a lot of serious flaws in implementation that I don't have much hope for us actually seeing fixed. Adjustment isn't too bad. Just take it slow, and probably it'd be best to read up on the dev diaries at least so you don't jump in blind. Economic management is very different, but not very complex or deep or hard to grasp.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 07:26:59 pm by Criptfeind »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: February 02, 2019, 10:36:12 pm »

Yeah, just take your first game in 2.2 slowly and you'll probably pick up pretty quickly.  I had the new system down pat by the time I finished a game.

Imo the new content is full of good ideas implemented really poorly

This is about how I feel.  I really enjoy the game and the changes, but there are some serious issues with the new economy that need to be fixed, like the fact that you can cheese monthly resource requirements by buying a little from the market every month, or can just outright ignore upkeep since at worst you get like 50% penalties to things like alloy production no matter how far in the hole you are with minerals and energy.

Job priorities also act weird, machine empires are kind of in a seriously bad state with energy upkeep, lots of bugs still, etc.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: February 03, 2019, 03:38:29 am »

You build a station in every system now, it's part of the big changes in in 2.0 that happened about a year ago. Most of them you leave as tiny zero sized stations, only upgrading to real stations at important places or when you need certain modulus.

weird. so ai's stations don't show up on the map?

anyway, that's hard I'm always on some energy deficit of sort, even placing stations only on stuff that has some sun I can mine for energy it's hard to get some balance.

oh, where do I see a planet max pop? I'm trying to figure out how many city sector are needed for each production sector but I can't find the info

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: February 03, 2019, 06:06:27 am »

There is no longer a cap on how many pops you can have on a planet, it all depends on how much housing and how many jobs you can get on that planet. In terms of having city districts for agri/mining/gen districts, the production districts also provide some housing capacity so it depends on what buildings you are putting on the planet and how much housing your pops actually need. Building districts also causes more sprawl (or whatever it's called now), increasing your tech/unity costs, so only building the ones you will be using in the direct future instead of filling up your planets immediately when you settle them is a good idea.
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 632