Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1659092 times)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7875 on: February 20, 2019, 10:35:20 am »

I easily federated by giving a 100 reputation worth or food then offering research, migration and defense treaties. After raising trust for a while, they easily accept federation. Spending influence on the diplomatic edict helped too.

Them being xenophile help of course. That said the xenophobes empires federated themselves too in my galaxy to counter us.

Either way the victory screen popped up unexpectedly because I set the end year too low. I did not even had time to finish a dyson sphere. It does not really matter since I'll continue to grab the megastructures achievements, but darn.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 10:39:00 am by Boltgun »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7876 on: February 20, 2019, 10:41:44 pm »

My current game fuckin sucks.  We're stuck on the very edge of the galaxy with three expansion paths.  One is blocked by a hegemonic imperialist empire, one is blocked by some bigass aliens, and one is blocked by territorial fallen empire.

The imperialists declared war but our defenses are too strong and there's only one hyperlane so they refuse to actually attack us.  They have fanatic militarist and we don't so I think they're trying to just win via war exhaustion, which is smart I guess in a real war but this is a video and this is bullshit. 

Fucking attack me already, this isn't entertaining at all.

I lured them in but the combat seems a lot different, a lot of really stupid shit.  The FTL no-go upgrade really should be available earlier, it's pretty fucking stupid that I can heavily fortify a chokepoint and then watch the enemy just bunnyhop over it and attack the systems that aren't hulked out. 

EDIT:  Dumped that game now that I've got the hang of 2.2.  Trying a new angle, fanatic spiritualist militarists with life-seeded and feudal.  Gonna roll up on some pre-FTL races like
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:39:22 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7877 on: February 21, 2019, 04:06:36 am »

Maybe it is the context but I feel cheated by Synthetic Evolution.

After paying the ascension point, I got a 99 month engineering project to evolve the main species, considering I was playing a mechanist intelligent species with a bunch of research labs I guess it would have much slower otherwise.

Then all the pop turned into synths, the basic one. Not even the enhanced one I already have in my colonies. That a massive downgrade to my worm touched cyborgs. Not to mention that by the time I got all of this done, the only bonus I see (habitability) is useless as my tech and upgrade already pushed all the planets to 100%.

Then the spiritualist fallen empire was pissy on me and declared war. I was already fighting the contingency and a federation war, because of course those idiots must declare war to the other league while being attacked by roboterrorists. So I had to capitulate and let my leader die. The FE is so dead after I dealt with the crisis.

Speaking of the contingency it triggered nothing special, I still had to deal with synths disguised as... synths ? Cool stuff.

Now I need to upgrade my pops but I'm tempted to simply reapply the cyborg template back, if I can. I can't really afford an engineering project with the crisis knocking at my door.

In comparison, on my previous game, I went full genetic on the Commonwealth and that was cheaper for better benefits.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:23:46 am by Boltgun »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7878 on: February 21, 2019, 08:22:13 am »

Also, how do you manage your fleet ? I try to set it up on the fleet manager and then reinforce.

It's a great way to use your starbases to build up but when it gets complicated (like during the contingency clusterpoo) I end up with dozen of 0 fleets on the manager and ships scattered everywhere, it's like the game forgot what's what at random.

Also the fed fleet became fully mine for some reason and the fed made another fleet. Not to mention how unreadable the fleet manager is.

As a whole the bugs made the game is super frustrating, I was planning to buy the DLCs but I'm considering ditching it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:46:12 am by Boltgun »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7879 on: February 21, 2019, 09:47:21 am »

Fucking attack me already, this isn't entertaining at all.

This could have been a bug unrelated to you having strong stations.  I almost never see wars, but supposedly there's a bug that frequently causes empires to never send fleets to prosecute wars even if they have enough fleet power.

I lured them in but the combat seems a lot different, a lot of really stupid shit.  The FTL no-go upgrade really should be available earlier, it's pretty fucking stupid that I can heavily fortify a chokepoint and then watch the enemy just bunnyhop over it and attack the systems that aren't hulked out.

Yep, I saw some discussion about where the developers were considering making it an automatic tech for this reason.

Also, how do you manage your fleet ? I try to set it up on the fleet manager and then reinforce.

It's a great way to use your starbases to build up but when it gets complicated (like during the contingency clusterpoo) I end up with dozen of 0 fleets on the manager and ships scattered everywhere, it's like the game forgot what's what at random.

Also the fed fleet became fully mine for some reason and the fed made another fleet. Not to mention how unreadable the fleet manager is.

As a whole the bugs made the game is super frustrating, I was planning to buy the DLCs but I'm considering ditching it.

Yeah, there are a lot of bugs with the merging fleets and the fleet manager.  If you ever tell the reinforcing ships to do anything before they merge with the fleets they're reinforcing, they end up as separate fleets in the manager.  If you manually merge fleets, you end up with 0-size fleets.  I haven't seen anything else prevent merging from working, but I've read where other people have had the reinforcing fleets getting stopped for other reasons and causing similar bugs.

Also, reinforcing fleets love to suicide against the enemy on the way to the main fleet if you don't babysit them.

And... yeah, synthetic ascension is variously bugged and underpowered.  I just saw a screenshot where a synthetically ascended empire couldn't colonize anything because colony ships still required food, for example.  Machine empires got a buff in the 2.2.5 beta patch to at least address some problems with energy upkeep, but I'd honestly be surprised if synthetically ascended empires got the same buffs.

I really like this game and have played it for like 700 hours, but the game is very buggy.  My scientists keep getting randomly shuffled without my input, or get assigned to multiple slots, for example.  That bug has been around for years at the least.  The devs promised they'd spend more time fixing bugs after 2.2 had so many problems, but then kind of backtracked on that.  We'll see if 2.3 ends up being a bigger bugfix release instead of another DLC with more bugs.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7880 on: February 21, 2019, 10:11:47 am »

Yep, I saw some discussion about where the developers were considering making it an automatic tech for this reason.

I can see no reason why it shouldn't be. Maybe the planetary version should be researchable because that's the real bastard. If the enemy has to break the defending army or hang out not repairing their fleets while bombing a world to 50% devastation that's pretty formidable.

I was going to comment on the AI but then I remember that it was so terrible I had to get a mod before I could stomach it.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7881 on: February 21, 2019, 10:43:15 am »

On second thought, it's going well.

Got 1 contingency hub down, the cybrex came in and took another. Freeing one front away from a fed ally just in time for me to move on another.

Every time I fight a crisis stack my fleet is in ruin. But I recover faster thanks to all the refugees coming to my place from the other side of the galaxy (I got +700 alloys a month), plus the gates keep the shipyards 1/2 systems away from the chokepoints. Not to mention that I snatched both dark matter and living metal in the process.

My fed is mostly safe, the other coalition however...

In comparison the praethorin was a joke. I won by nibbling a random station and researching the missile then spamming it in their face.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 10:50:27 am by Boltgun »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7882 on: February 21, 2019, 10:59:21 am »

The Contingency has the strongest fleets from what I've seen, and it's almost impossible to engage them without taking losses.  Kind of frustrating.  Even with ~30 levels of repeatable combat techs, I tended to lose a battleship or two every single engagement.  Titans were a complete waste since they attracted that fire instead and were not tough enough to survive it.

I'm kind of disappointed that I've never seen the Cybrex.  Even in the first time I fought the Contingency in a medium galaxy, where the Contingency did substantial damage and made me fear I was going to lose, I guess we managed to just barely avoid them sterilizing enough of the galaxy to make the Cybrex spawn.

The Prethoryn and Unbidden fleets are way easier to destroy, in my experience.  Unbidden at least seem to have short ranged weapons, so kinetic artillery and neutron launchers can destroy their ships before they can even retaliate.  I've lost 2 battleships and one titan across dozens of engagements with them in my current game.  The Prethoryn were kind of similar from what I recall, but I've only faced them once back before the strike craft buff and when they were bugged out and couldn't expand.  The Unbidden and Prethoryn are much scarier if they get to expand a lot, from what I gather.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7883 on: February 21, 2019, 02:32:48 pm »

It used to be, at least.  Pretty sure.  Does it still cause pops to decline?  If so, that's a slow way to get rid of them.

Nope, no decline. Everything is completely static. I can't build anything, nothing grows, etc. They're feeding themselves but their food income isn't listed on the empire. The only benefit I have from having the hellholes is my abduction teams in the observation posts (getting rid of those did nothing, BTW) can still pull in 10 Society research per month. So it still looks like permanent occupation. It's... annoying, but we seem to have adopted the fleshy vermin as pets or something. So buggy.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7884 on: February 21, 2019, 03:01:55 pm »

Only other idea I have is use armageddon bombardment to kill them all off, but I'm guessing you can't abandon the occupation bombard them since you're not technically at war.  Console commands can probably fix it, but only if you're not playing ironman, and I don't know the commands since I've never used it.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7885 on: February 21, 2019, 09:46:20 pm »

For anyone familiar with the X universe, what government, traits ect. would you give the factions in Stellaris? I've been playing X3 Terran Conflict again, but I know very little about the lore except what I've gleaned from the internet.

Oh, X3 Terran Conflict/ Albion Prelude era factions in particular. Wait there's a better way to say that. Pre Rebirth/X4 factions.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:49:17 pm by Vgray »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7886 on: February 21, 2019, 09:50:10 pm »

Oh...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7887 on: February 21, 2019, 10:25:28 pm »

No, it's fine, the entire nuclear arsenal was denoted, it's not like they set them off or anything.

Proof-reading: It's not just for Christmas Generic Non-Religious Holidays.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 10:31:01 pm by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7888 on: February 21, 2019, 11:20:37 pm »

Oh...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wait... how much of that was scripted?  Does the game spawn pre-space Kerbils?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7889 on: February 21, 2019, 11:32:22 pm »

The game will randomly throw in some of your pre-made/downloaded races.
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 632