Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658797 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7890 on: February 22, 2019, 12:42:06 am »

He would need a modded starting system I think, I don't know of any other way to make sure moons are named correctly.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: February 22, 2019, 02:01:25 am »

Was the nuclear denotation from a mod or was that typo actually in the base game?  Cause that's pretty embarrassing if that's in the base game.  Cool event tho.  Should have followed the prime directive.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: February 22, 2019, 03:54:38 am »

Oh...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Am I reading that wrong, or are you playing as the Pa'anuri?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: February 22, 2019, 04:08:00 am »

Okay this game is making me a special kind of frustrated. The endgame of Stellaris is a shitshow.

I got the third contingency HUB down along with it's fleets, but my economy is on its knees. And the fallen empire declared war again making a beeline to my systems. I'd call it FUN but this is so much a hassle to play at this point.

I got a few economic issues that is to be expected when you push ship production over capacity. Rare resources however, are impossible to manage. Every single building upgrade use it as upkeep and raffineries take one building slot for only one job, and strain mineral even further. Building slots are a rare and finite asset in the endgame that make compensating for problems impossible.

The refugees are causing overpopulation and unemployment. Overpopulation is only a mild issue because I got a lot of luxury that negate effects. But unemployment is terrible with that crime event that pop all the damn time. It's not even the economic strain that get me. Just that stupid popup window that interrupt me all the damn time !

I'm trying to build a habitat to offload the problem but I'm activating purges and will kill the refugees if I have to. My empire's values be damned.

Managing planet is also a pain in the neck. You have to babysit constantly, all the time. Even when they are full. Look away for a second, you come back to bunch of issues.

I'm only going for the contingency achievement, then I'm moving to 2.1, or Endless Space.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:19:02 am by Boltgun »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7894 on: February 22, 2019, 07:45:20 am »

Oh...

Wait... how much of that was scripted?  Does the game spawn pre-space Kerbils?
This is mostly mods. The base game has a Kerbol system but one of the mods I use changes the initializer to mirror the actual KSP system and put a race of frog dudes on the planet as early space primitives. I watched them do a moon (mun) landing, experiment with radio, then a few decades later they actually radioed the observation station. That is another mod, adding more primitive interactions. We acknowledged them and told them they must serve the empire. They launched an attack with about 2 dozen primitive ships equipped with railguns which we killed. When that happened they decided to self-immolate rather than be slaves. So almost all of that was scripted by mods.

Oh...

Am I reading that wrong, or are you playing as the Pa'anuri?
That's correct. This game I'm playing as the Pa'anuri Supremacy, a bunch of psychic slaving assholes.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: February 22, 2019, 08:38:03 am »

New game's going reasonably well.  Surrounded by mostly xenophobic or otherwise expansionist parties but we're on par with them, generating unity really fast even after two ascension perks.  Main problem right now is I went with life-seeded and feudal and haven't found any good primitives to subjugate so I'm still stuck on one planet.  We made an ally with a fanatic xenophobe, our species has silver speaking appendages.  They attacked our mutual rival and we joined in, I might start a war of conquest of my own now and try to capture something useful from them.  I don't know if there are any penalties for declaring war right after another war though.
Shoes...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: February 22, 2019, 09:26:52 am »

In case you weren't aware, you actually aren't stuck on a single planet as life-seeded anymore.  You can colonize 0% habitability planets now, but it really sucks because they use up extra consumer goods, and I think food and amenities.  It does make early game really challenging though since you have to devote so much production to consumer goods unless you run with low living standards for the masses.

I got a few economic issues that is to be expected when you push ship production over capacity. Rare resources however, are impossible to manage. Every single building upgrade use it as upkeep and raffineries take one building slot for only one job, and strain mineral even further. Building slots are a rare and finite asset in the endgame that make compensating for problems impossible.

If you have much of an energy surplus, you're probably better off buying the rare resources on the market.  Or at least some of them.  It's pretty much impossible to synthesize enough of them to upgrade everything, and they're surprisingly cheap to buy.  In my last game I had an automatic monthly buy order for 25 or so rare gases, plus a few motes and crystals.

The refugees are causing overpopulation and unemployment. Overpopulation is only a mild issue because I got a lot of luxury that negate effects. But unemployment is terrible with that crime event that pop all the damn time. It's not even the economic strain that get me. Just that stupid popup window that interrupt me all the damn time !

I'm trying to build a habitat to offload the problem but I'm activating purges and will kill the refugees if I have to. My empire's values be damned.

What living standards are you using?  From what I can tell you don't get the annoying unemployment popup if you're using Utopian Abundance, which makes it a lot easier to ignore unemployment but requires you to be egalitarian and costs a lot of consumer goods.

If you're not using Utopian Abundance then you might want to consider turning off acceptance of refugees and turn on the planetary decision to stop growth.  Depending on your ethics it may annoy some factions, but that's the only way I could manage it in my non-egalitarian empires.

Managing planet is also a pain in the neck. You have to babysit constantly, all the time. Even when they are full. Look away for a second, you come back to bunch of issues.

Yeah, agreed here.  After trashing the Unbidden I tried to finish the War in Heaven in my current game because it finally triggered properly at 2480 or so, but it dragged on for close to a hundred years because the FEs ran out of ships and I could no longer destroy anything to make their war exhaustion go up enough to force peace.  I started conquering their planets to just outright destroy their empires, which eventually worked, but I had so many planets and pops I just completely gave up on managing them.  Honestly, I gave up before then when I had about 25 planets in my own empire.
 I did what I could to manage them, but it just became so tedious I did what I could to set up building slots but halfway ignored overcrowding and unemployment and then completely ignored it.

In the process, I was surprised to learn that overcrowding leads to much larger stability problems (up to -20 looks like?) than just stopping planetary growth (-5).

I also had to eventually give up on that game.  The War in Haven glitched out at the end too, and never ended, so I couldn't declare victory.  I got the announcement that the War in Heaven had ended, but the victory screen kept telling me that I couldn't declare victory during the War in Heaven.  Man, I now understand why people say they've never seen this even work properly, even if this is the first time it's screwed up like this for me.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: February 22, 2019, 11:34:56 am »

I give up. Setting to utopian tanked my goods which tanked my mineral with tanked my energy and my crystals tanked.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:50:12 am by Boltgun »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: February 23, 2019, 09:29:20 pm »

The biggest problem with stellaris is there's so many cool things to do but you can only do one at a time.  Switched to test branch to play Determined Exterminator machine empire.

Playing DE machines in test branch be like

My economy is insane and I haven't even gotten around to specializing my planets.  Currently steamrolling the first organic race we've found, beelining their planets and trashing them.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:33:43 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7899 on: February 23, 2019, 10:15:31 pm »

I give up. Setting to utopian tanked my goods which tanked my mineral with tanked my energy and my crystals tanked.
Why would you set to Utopian Abundance if you don't have the consumer goods to handle it?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: February 23, 2019, 11:35:39 pm »

3 criminal megacorps. One sets up shop on my homeworld, I castigate and expropriate them in a war. Before I can click away the "war over" bubble another corp has set up a branch, same song and dance, then the third does it, then the first is ready to try their luck again. I am so annoyed I no longer desire their destruction instead I'm using Raiding posture to abduct all of their pops who on my worlds are being processed into tasty snacks. Space Hitlers aren't born, they're made.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: February 24, 2019, 03:55:39 am »

We've determined via the scientific method that all aliens are scum.  No I don't know what a sample size is, why do you ask?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: February 24, 2019, 01:08:51 pm »

Why would you set to Utopian Abundance if you don't have the consumer goods to handle it?

To make the popups stop. It worked at the cost of everything. Still worth it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7903 on: February 24, 2019, 01:51:29 pm »

Oh...

Wait... how much of that was scripted?  Does the game spawn pre-space Kerbils?

I'm pretty sure they were just trying to launch all their cities into space.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: February 24, 2019, 02:10:21 pm »

I hate the fact I'm troubled with even fictional genocide, so I don't play murder machines or fanatic purifiers. Kind of silly, isn't it? It is the same with most games, I can't bring myself into playing comic book villains.
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 632