Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658831 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7950 on: March 02, 2019, 10:05:39 pm »

Wait, could you wipe out a civilization by abducting out all of their pops so you don't need to bother with bombing them into Tomb Worlds (takes time), using Superweapons (takes extra time), or conquering everything (not always a good thing)?

Tombing is faster.  Raiding is just selective bombardment but pops get abducted instead of dying.  Without a very large fleet it takes a long time, though it speeds up at higher devastation.  As far as conquering goes, if you've got the infrastructure to handle a pop bomb you can conquer the planet and then just resettle everyone to new planets and leave it uninhabited.

RKVs would be fun as a citadel building.  Near lightspeed slug cannon, expensive and maybe huge energy upkeep while it's charging, maybe one use, long travel time as the slug is sublight, but nearly impossible to stop and tombs planets from multiple systems away.  Add some brinksmanship to your multiplayer games, do you really want to start a war when it might mean MAD?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 10:12:48 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7951 on: March 03, 2019, 04:33:23 pm »

Were you playing xenophobes, or is this just a normal part of the self-modified species events?  The self-modified species event is annoying enough that I specifically avoid researching glandular modification for as long as possible to avoid it.

No idea if being able to modify the species afterward is normal.  I haven't seen it in 2.2 to test again.

Xenophiles, actually. I think it's just a normal part of the events? I've rarely had the issue before since I usually only colonize mostly habitable worlds, and it only fires if they're on a low habitability world. It just kept popping up about increased racial tensions on the world due to the different offshoot species, despite me having applied the template to my entire species and there only being one. So it ended up going back and forth with the "original species" attacking the "modified species" and vice versa, despite them both actually being identical. Then the "modified species" made themselves more fertile to outbreed the "original" species, except it applied to everyone on the planet because everyone on the planet was the same. Then they later made themselves stronger too. Both of these fired off after I had finished genetic ascension and giving everyone crazy stats, so I ended up with both the fertile trait and the rapid breeders trait and the strong trait and the very strong trait.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: March 03, 2019, 09:14:16 pm »

That's kind of hilarious, and clearly the event needs to get fixed in similar ways to the alien box such that it gives traits that don't conflict with normal traits in any way.

Vaguely related to this subject, it's kind of funny that xenophobes will trigger similar conflict interests from just having robots on their worlds.  Their own robots.

I haven't seen that happen in 2.2 yet, but it used to happen to me in 2.1 occasionally.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: March 03, 2019, 10:31:09 pm »

What's so weird about that?  We've got people doing that here on Earth.
Shoes...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: March 03, 2019, 11:57:14 pm »

It's mostly funny because it's obviously a glitch, or at least poorly explained.  The dialog box refers to xenos and clearly intends the event to be fired by alien species living with your xenophobes, not robots they built.  They don't even have to be synths, and apparently having robotic mining equipment and tractors will send your pops into a riotous frenzy on occasion.  Even materialists.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7955 on: March 04, 2019, 12:19:21 am »

But those robots are taking jobs from people!

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: March 04, 2019, 03:49:50 pm »

What's so weird about that?  We've got people doing that here on Earth.

What's that? People with no functional differences hate each other for subjective, contrived reasons? Horsepoppy!

#notallspacemen
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: March 04, 2019, 03:58:43 pm »

-snip-
RKVs would be fun as a citadel building.  Near lightspeed slug cannon, expensive and maybe huge energy upkeep while it's charging, maybe one use, long travel time as the slug is sublight, but nearly impossible to stop and tombs planets from multiple systems away.  Add some brinksmanship to your multiplayer games, do you really want to start a war when it might mean MAD?

Do you *really* want to wait several years for the impactor to reach even the closest of targets? Perhaps better would be some form of superluminal weapon that fires shells from system border to system border as if using a jump drive with extended range, and has a very fast in-system velocity. You can shoot it down if (if) you've got fleets close enough to intercept.... but you'd better be packing lasers and some good FC or you're not going to burn off enough of the massive shell before your planet gets turned into 1/2 planet and 1/2 brand-new ring system.

Or, you know, just make it nigh-uninterceptable save by planetary defenses (and even then only high-power laser type weapons or the occasional lucky kinetic strike) and have it truly be a bad idea to attack anyone who's got these things (make FEs extremely difficult to just steamroll even in the later stages of the game, anyone? You might just need to sacrifice something to the superweapon before you manage to finally defeat them...)

But yeah, besides the details I think it would be hilarious and awesome to be able to construct something like that.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: March 04, 2019, 04:43:08 pm »

The planetary shield building could counter the attack (it's a "rare" technology after all!) and some modder might even notice eventually!
(Unless I'm overestimating how useless the planetary shield is.  I don't think it even gives research, anymore.  A stability bonus would be nice.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: March 04, 2019, 05:00:44 pm »

Well, one logical endpoint of the faster than light kill vehicle concept is essentially a momentum-based evolution of the fire ship: a ship built with big engines and little else, set to FTL to the target, accelerate as fast as possible and stay on target until it hits (hopefully with the crew abandoning ship along the way.) A new weapon type that also destroys the firing ship and a hull type to hold it doesn't seem out of reach of modders.

Another, given wormhole technology, is a gateway with one terminus fixed at the mouth of the space cannon and the other moved to the target system in advance of the shot. This too would seem moddable as a district and weapon component sharing a resource.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 05:02:55 pm by Trekkin »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: March 04, 2019, 05:05:55 pm »

Well, one logical endpoint of the faster than light kill vehicle concept is essentially a momentum-based evolution of the fire ship: a ship built with big engines and little else, set to FTL to the target, accelerate as fast as possible and stay on target until it hits (hopefully with the crew abandoning ship along the way.) A new weapon type that also destroys the firing ship and a hull type to hold it doesn't seem out of reach of modders.

Another, given wormhole technology, is a gateway with one terminus fixed at the mouth of the space cannon and the other moved to the target system in advance of the shot. This too would seem moddable as a district and weapon component sharing a resource.
Nicole Dyson Beam Gigastructures mod. Pretty much exactly what you described, build the site around a star, build a marker over the target and bang.  8)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: March 05, 2019, 09:50:00 pm »

One of the events does describe a ship coming out of warp and plowing into a planet at full speed.  Letting you do that with ships would be OP though.  Really it just emphasizes the fact that interstellar space travel eliminates any kind of fun space battle because every ship is a planet-killing missile, unless you handwave.

Which is fine.  Realism is sci fi's servant, consistency is sci fi's king.
Shoes...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7962 on: March 06, 2019, 07:45:15 am »

Space battles are totally capable of being no fun without interstellar travel.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: March 06, 2019, 09:23:55 am »

Yeah, realistic space combat would be pretty boring, where everyone fires constellations of missiles from thousands of kilometers away and either one of them penetrates the enemy's PD and obliterates their ship, or PD wins and you're out of missiles.  Or lasers from hundreds of thousands of kilometers away that can't be dodged.

Relativistic weapons or starships just make many space opera tropes go out the window because almost nobody could be trusted with a spaceship when a rogue freighter captain could do apocalyptic damage by crashing into a planet.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: March 06, 2019, 10:04:13 am »

Relativistic weapons or starships just make many space opera tropes go out the window because almost nobody could be trusted with a spaceship when a rogue freighter captain could do apocalyptic damage by crashing into a planet.

but at least put that in the fluff, like navigation uses mass as beacon because of the speed involved, so you can only aim at the general direction of something as big as a star from system to system (and accelerating takes time so you cant hit a planet with relativistic energy within the same system you are)
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 632