Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1659008 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8190 on: June 19, 2019, 12:01:07 pm »

Glavius's mod is the one most people use to improve the AI, yes.  Never tried it myself though.

There's another AI mod called STARNET I believe, which is supposed to make the AI extremely aggressive and buffs it to make it much better at wars.  Never tried it either though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: June 19, 2019, 12:04:47 pm »

Glavius build priorities were incorporated into the base game anyway. I'm not sure there's a lot of great improvements that still reside within the realm of mods.

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: June 20, 2019, 06:56:41 am »

Glavius build priorities were incorporated into the base game anyway. I'm not sure there's a lot of great improvements that still reside within the realm of mods.

Oh really? I wonder if they paid him for his work.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: June 20, 2019, 10:33:13 am »

Oh really? I wonder if they paid him for his work.
I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: June 20, 2019, 11:47:06 am »

Enjoying the new DLC, not sure how it's going to fare in the long term since after you never have a second first time reading something. I know Paradox is all about mushing numbers into other numbers until somebody has a bad day but I'd pay through the nose for a more satisfying ground combat experience. I love invading worlds on a conceptual level but aside from getting a big fuckin army and linking up with a fleet there's no thought to it.

Unrelated: Why are the reports on war score inaccurate? I scratched a 20 ship fleet, an 8 ship fleet, and a transport fleet in one battle and it's listed as 8, 3, and 2 being destroyed in three instances of the same battle. I mean for as long as I've been playing I've never seen those numbers come out correct, that's not a bug it's a feature not working. It's a little weird that a professionally made game that's undergoing continued development would have just nonfunctional features that prominently.

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: June 20, 2019, 12:21:26 pm »

Does that mean I get infinite guesses?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: June 20, 2019, 12:59:40 pm »

Does that mean I get infinite guesses?
Only if you buy the infinite guesses dlc.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: June 20, 2019, 01:16:14 pm »

It's a little weird that a professionally made game that's undergoing continued development would have just nonfunctional features that prominently.

I continue to be surprised at how bad the QA is in Stellaris.

In this particular case I'm not sure what's going on with it, but judging by the bugs I've seen reported for a long time it feels like a lot of features in Stellaris rely on logic that's prone to race conditions.  Lots of things seem to have small chances of glitching out because a species, planet or ship did something before some asynchronous code ran, which wasn't expecting that to happen.

In this case it feels like it's probably just a plain bug where the war exhaustion report just treats each fleet as a separate battle when it doesn't need to.  Kind of like the bug where the tooltip for the popup for democratic elections never displays the custom empire title for the ruler despite it working everywhere else.  It's been reported as a bug every patch for years but never gets fixed.  Paradox reworks the game at a breakneck pace and doesn't seem interested in trying to polish it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: June 20, 2019, 04:03:27 pm »

I continue to be surprised at how bad the QA is in Stellaris.

In this particular case I'm not sure what's going on with it, but judging by the bugs I've seen reported for a long time it feels like a lot of features in Stellaris rely on logic that's prone to race conditions.  Lots of things seem to have small chances of glitching out because a species, planet or ship did something before some asynchronous code ran, which wasn't expecting that to happen.

In this case it feels like it's probably just a plain bug where the war exhaustion report just treats each fleet as a separate battle when it doesn't need to.  Kind of like the bug where the tooltip for the popup for democratic elections never displays the custom empire title for the ruler despite it working everywhere else.  It's been reported as a bug every patch for years but never gets fixed.  Paradox reworks the game at a breakneck pace and doesn't seem interested in trying to polish it.
Well it's not just that it's listing three battles, the numbers are wrong and I don't think I've ever seen them actually come out correct. According to the battle report I destroyed over thirty ships but the war score screen only lists them as losing a combined 13.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: June 21, 2019, 02:29:34 am »

Caravan bug is still a thing in 2.3.2 it seems. No game for me :P
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8200 on: June 21, 2019, 04:04:42 am »

Well it's not just that it's listing three battles, the numbers are wrong and I don't think I've ever seen them actually come out correct. According to the battle report I destroyed over thirty ships but the war score screen only lists them as losing a combined 13.

I get the feeling that the battle report includes ships that disengaged before warping out or is calculating based on obsolete formulas while the war only pick actually destroyed ships. War fatigue is stupid anyway, you could be rolling over the entire territory but because the enemy can't even shake a stick in your direction you are not winning the war.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8201 on: June 21, 2019, 07:16:24 am »

Hmmm, so in my current game, the Great Khan popped up, but instead of conquering anyone, he keeps sending his fleets through the L-Gate. Once he lost all his event-spawned ships to the re-spawning Grey Goo, he got some more event spawned ships, and now he's sending those through the L-Gate, too. Which keeps spawning more fleets, too.

thinking_face.jpg

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: June 21, 2019, 08:38:12 am »

Did you actually destroy the ships or did they disengage?  Either way, like Boltgun says I wouldn't be surprised if the battle report screen uses a different or incorrect calculation compared to the war exhaustion screen.

Quote from: Boltgun
War fatigue is stupid anyway, you could be rolling over the entire territory but because the enemy can't even shake a stick in your direction you are not winning the war.

I like it in theory, but the execution is pretty mediocre in a lot of ways.  It's extremely frustrating to end up in a war where the enemy has no fleet left so you can't blow up their stuff to give them more war exhaustion.  In normal wars this isn't usually a problem because you can occupy their systems and planets to pressure them into surrender, but during total war it can be extremely annoying since systems flip to you immediately and they don't gain war exhaustion for that, nor do you technically occupy them since they just belong to you now.

The War in Heaven is the one that irritates me like this.  Twice now I've had Wars in Heaven that I couldn't end because attrition is either outright suspended in the War in Heaven, or is so meaningless that the enemy somehow never accumulated any in ~50-100 years of war, and I blew up all of the enemy ships but only managed to get them to about 20% war exhaustion.  I can take their systems and I can take their planets, but they don't care because they flip to me and thus don't accrue any war exhaustion or occupation.  I'd literally have to conquer almost the entire galaxy to end the war, just by forcing the warring empires to cease to exist entirely.  They might eventually build enough ships for me to finish pushing them up to the 25% + 50% from me having a better navy to force a status quo, but 100 years wasn't enough time the last time it happened.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8203 on: June 21, 2019, 02:58:27 pm »

The War in Heaven is the one that irritates me like this.  Twice now I've had Wars in Heaven that I couldn't end because attrition is either outright suspended in the War in Heaven, or is so meaningless that the enemy somehow never accumulated any in ~50-100 years of war, and I blew up all of the enemy ships but only managed to get them to about 20% war exhaustion.  I can take their systems and I can take their planets, but they don't care because they flip to me and thus don't accrue any war exhaustion or occupation.  I'd literally have to conquer almost the entire galaxy to end the war, just by forcing the warring empires to cease to exist entirely.  They might eventually build enough ships for me to finish pushing them up to the 25% + 50% from me having a better navy to force a status quo, but 100 years wasn't enough time the last time it happened.

Isn't that so by design? The War in Heaven is basically an all-out World Galaxy War. I'm not saying the War Exhaustion system is working well in general, but in this case...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8204 on: June 21, 2019, 03:47:34 pm »

It probably is intentional, since I don't think attrition is suspended under any other circumstances.  It's just a frustrating example of being unable to make the enemy more willing to give up despite destroying everything they have militarily and even capturing their territory.

The biggest thing, I think, is that losing a system or planet in a total war (or maybe it's just the War in Heaven that works this way) should cause war exhaustion.  Losing a planet is a lot more catastrophic than losing a few ships, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 632