Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658975 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8220 on: October 16, 2019, 06:59:04 pm »

I started with Stellaris and pretty much stick to it, so if it's worse than CK2 or EU4 I wouldn't really notice.  I imagine a lot of people are in the same boat.

But, yeah, I saw the stuff where the error messages refer to it as Nova Empire, which is pretty funny.  If Paradox themselves didn't touch the game at all, whoever did the development has a similarly sloppy development approach.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8221 on: October 16, 2019, 07:30:58 pm »

Why would you just not check.

That's just so careless.

You're so careless Paradox.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8222 on: October 19, 2019, 02:44:16 pm »

Why would you just not check.

That's just so careless.

You're so careless Paradox.
If you mean about the art, there is no easy way to just search all previous art for reused images.

If you mean the error messages, well I'm not sure. I seriously doubt they expected the outsourced firm to just reuse code from another game. It does seem like they could have at least tested it out a bit before releasing it to beta

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8223 on: October 19, 2019, 02:45:13 pm »

Yeah that's all I mean.

It took someone playing it for two hours (tops) to catch it, though.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8224 on: October 21, 2019, 04:58:47 am »

I seriously doubt they expected the outsourced firm to just reuse code from another game.
C H I N A

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8225 on: October 21, 2019, 08:48:04 am »

So, unrelated to the mobile game hilarity, it looks like they announced the next DLC, which is currently light on details but focused on federations at least.  With little more to go on, it's hard to tell if it includes much in the way of internal politics, and the consensus seems to be that there won't be any espionage or intelligence component added.  That's a little disappointing, and I'm not expecting much as a result.

The new lithoids species pack is at least interesting in that it adds new mechanics for lithoids, such as eating minerals instead of food.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8226 on: October 21, 2019, 12:50:48 pm »

I mean internal politics sound nice, but... I mean how interesting can it really be without any kind of espionage? There has to be something. Glad that they are expanding on Federations regardless.

Lithoids also sound neat, but I sort of expect the mechanics to be "robots but they use minerals instead of energy".

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8227 on: October 21, 2019, 01:38:27 pm »

I mean internal politics sound nice, but... I mean how interesting can it really be without any kind of espionage? There has to be something. Glad that they are expanding on Federations regardless.

Lithoids also sound neat, but I sort of expect the mechanics to be "robots but they use minerals instead of energy".
I would be surprised if they get that much special content.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8228 on: October 21, 2019, 01:46:13 pm »

I would be surprised if they get that much special content.

They are probably going to copy paste robot mechanics and be like "but it uses minerals instead of energy".

As long as it's like, a subtext of the expansion it's whatever I guess. But minerals are theoretically exhaustible, maybe there'll be some kind of locust mechanic that slowly devalues planets? Maybe that'll be one of the parallels to driven assimilators or whatnot.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8229 on: October 21, 2019, 02:26:51 pm »

They had a few other things that were a bit fancier than that, such as planetary decisions that let them create blockers by devastating the planet while giving them minerals or pop growth or something.  That might have only been for gestalt or devouring swarm lithoids though.

Some are rightly calling for Paradox to go back and make other species sets more interesting too, but I'm not sure what they'd do for most, really.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8230 on: October 21, 2019, 03:05:05 pm »

Plant and/or fungus (or machine, for that matter) has some conceptual room for things like macro population (a la Planet in Alpha Centauri - population is always 1 per planet and it's a question of coverage not breeding or building new pops) but that'd run afoul of an awful lot of the colony systems. The flatness with which colonies are defined really does limit how much they can vary species one from another.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8231 on: October 21, 2019, 03:37:23 pm »

The flatness with which (everything) are defined really does limit how much they can vary species one from another.

pretty much the game

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8232 on: October 24, 2019, 03:06:08 pm »

Yep. Stellaris is a game of great breadth and almost no depth.  :'(

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8233 on: October 24, 2019, 04:11:44 pm »

Speaking of adding breadth without much depth, Rock People the DLC is out now. They do have a special version of devouring swarm called Terravores where you can consume planets causing unremovable devastation/blockers in order to quickly strip mine it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8234 on: October 24, 2019, 04:13:48 pm »

Oh no hey I guess I called that.
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 632