Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658850 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8235 on: October 24, 2019, 05:48:54 pm »

Missed opportunity to call them mundivores.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8236 on: October 25, 2019, 01:53:22 pm »

Wow it's fucking nothing as always.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8237 on: October 28, 2019, 01:37:32 pm »

The important thing is it's now possible to play as Communist Space Rocks.

WE MUST SEIZE THE MEANS OF SUBDUCTION!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: October 28, 2019, 01:50:22 pm »

Description was filled with enough puns it's just a stepping stone away from a bay12 page.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8239 on: October 28, 2019, 03:19:52 pm »

Wow it's fucking nothing as always.
It's exactly as advertised, a species pack. You get new species portraits, ship graphics, and city art. The fact that they also included unique gameplay is extra above and beyond the previous species packs. Also as part of developing those extra mechanics they have exposed more fun stuff to modders (the ability to tie species traits to the species portrait type) so overall it's not bad. I'd probably still wait for a sale for it, but it's at least no worse than the previous species packs and on par with their other aesthetic-only dlc

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: October 28, 2019, 06:49:56 pm »

Yeah, I was only expecting more species portraits (which, as aesthetics go, are alright).  I'm pleasantly surprised - not that I have it yet, but still.  I didn't even think of the modding possibilities.  Plantoids spring to mind of course, but I wonder if fungoids could be made to "utilitize" captured pops as that one species portrait implies.

Hm, reminds me of when one of my friends did a RP run as the Flood.  Or to be precise the "Gravemind"- oh jeez, he really has to roll necromancer in *everything* doesn't he?

(also reminds me of the abominable race in Master of Orion 3.  I wish that game wasn't so mechanically bad, because it had some interesting subjects and dynamics)
The important thing is it's now possible to play as Communist Space Rocks.

WE MUST SEIZE THE MEANS OF SUBDUCTION!
YEAH!!
Oh wait, misread that.
...!!Yeah!!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: October 31, 2019, 09:44:39 am »

New dev diary for some of the new federation mechanics: Dev Diary

Looks pretty interesting, with a big CKII vibe for the federation laws.

It's funny that there's no spiritualist federation type despite there being psychic combat succession rules as an option, but I'm guessing there were no perks they could think of to apply that would be similar to research pacts for materialist federations.  They could always give more unity bonuses but I think spiritualists already get so much unity it would be wasted.  The game really needs some work fleshing out religions for there to be much to do there, I guess.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: October 31, 2019, 02:00:33 pm »

I haven't looked in on Dev Diaries for awhile, but have they mentioned Envoys before?  Sounds like they are adding EU4 diplomats into the game or something.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8243 on: October 31, 2019, 06:44:35 pm »

I haven't looked in on Dev Diaries for awhile, but have they mentioned Envoys before?  Sounds like they are adding EU4 diplomats into the game or something.
Was that not the old name for the limit on how many diplomatic relationships you could have?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: November 01, 2019, 02:58:16 am »

When they did add a limit?

Also,

Quote from: Dev Diary
The Chosen will of course be very hard to beat.

Of course, lets make the psionic ascension even better, its not like it wasn't the go to option or anything because it gets all the nifty extra mechanics and generally better results then the other two options.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: November 01, 2019, 07:47:08 am »

It's something new in the coming patch / DLC, but it sounds like it's something you use to maintain federation cohesion, if that's at all like EU4 diplomats.  I suspect they'll be used for nonfederation diplomacy too, but there's no details on it yet that I know of.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: November 01, 2019, 12:50:46 pm »

It was in one of the earlier big overhaul patches, they've since removed it. On reflecting more, they might have been called embassies actually?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8247 on: November 01, 2019, 01:12:23 pm »

It was in one of the earlier big overhaul patches, they've since removed it. On reflecting more, they might have been called embassies actually?
Embassies were a thing very early on which were scrapped very quickly after release. As you said it was a limited thing. You'd establish an embassy with a race at a small cost and it would passively raise relationship

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8248 on: November 02, 2019, 11:51:03 am »

Psionic Ascension is the most fun of the Ascension options but I've always thought of it as the weakest mechanically. No guarantees of the boosts you get and also getting random debuffs. Plus the chance of dooming the galaxy (sure, you can say no...but who would?).

Becoming perfect immortal machines is probably the strongest one mechanically, though the traits of genetic ascension are pretty powerful too.

But I'll take interesting over mechanically balanced any day :) A perfectly balanced single player game will become perfectly boring very quickly. The goal is what's the most fun. Is one of the reasons I hate that modern RPGs scale enemies levels to yours: a top level character should be a damn near physical god compared to 99% of the world! Otherwise why bother leveling up at all?

As for federations, A-Specs video on it makes it sound like they're taking inspiration from CK2 for some of the mechanics.

Also that they may be waiting for HoI4s Spy update/dlc to land and see how well it works before implementing something similar for Stellaris. Lots of cross-pollination amongst the paradox teams to figure out what mechanically works that they can add the flavour and styling and tweaks to for the different settings.

From what I've heard the mechanics for Dig Sits in Stellaris are the same as for sieges in Imperator. Though I think they work better for something passive in the background, like research, instead of something deliberate and direct like military action. That should be more in the players control. But this isn't the "Wtf went wrong with Imperator" thread xD
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 12:17:32 pm by MorleyDev »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: November 02, 2019, 07:13:44 pm »

either I'm doing something wrong, or instant_build does not really work well with armies, mostly because while trying that I got to -4 time periods left before it's done.... which I assume isn't right
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 632