Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1659034 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8250 on: November 04, 2019, 01:57:22 pm »

It's the psionic trait that makes it the best to me. Leaders turn into incredible badasses, like all Admirals getting 10% damage and 15% evasion.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8251 on: November 04, 2019, 03:05:38 pm »

From what I've heard the mechanics for Dig Sits in Stellaris are the same as for sieges in Imperator. Though I think they work better for something passive in the background, like research, instead of something deliberate and direct like military action. That should be more in the players control. But this isn't the "Wtf went wrong with Imperator" thread xD

they're generally the same as sieges in EU4 as well. too bad there's no "breach walls" button for dig sites...

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8252 on: November 04, 2019, 04:56:43 pm »

So, unrelated to the mobile game hilarity, it looks like they announced the next DLC, which is currently light on details but focused on federations at least.  With little more to go on, it's hard to tell if it includes much in the way of internal politics, and the consensus seems to be that there won't be any espionage or intelligence component added.  That's a little disappointing, and I'm not expecting much as a result.

The new lithoids species pack is at least interesting in that it adds new mechanics for lithoids, such as eating minerals instead of food.
Another goddamn DLC? How about they get the base game working first, jesus...

I will never, ever buy anything from paradox again. Fortunately, I can check back on stellaris every so often and play a completely different broken half baked 'game'.

I'm neonivek now...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #8253 on: November 04, 2019, 05:06:53 pm »

I haven't heard that name... in a long time...
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8254 on: November 04, 2019, 05:16:36 pm »

Coulda gone to my grave without hearing it again.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8255 on: November 04, 2019, 06:52:05 pm »

Another goddamn DLC? How about they get the base game working first, jesus...

I will never, ever buy anything from paradox again. Fortunately, I can check back on stellaris every so often and play a completely different broken half baked 'game'.

Yeah, I get the sentiment.  It's particularly bad because the dev team and community managers are always silent on the issue whenever it's brought up.

Stellaris is the only Paradox game I play, and because of the predatory DLC practices I don't have any interest in playing any others.  I've spent more on Stellaris than I wish I had, but I've also gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it despite the problems so I guess I can't complain too much.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8256 on: November 04, 2019, 08:51:51 pm »

>Psychic combat

We're gonna need a way for non-psionic empires to bullshit their way into winning that fight.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8257 on: November 04, 2019, 10:07:51 pm »

Neonivek is fine, and cheap aesthetic DLC is fine.  This isn't Utopia or something, there's no reason to buy it unless you want to play a rock, and its development didn't meaningfully detract from "fixing" the game.

I understand frustration with Stellaris's stability (early on), and its efficiency (particularly up untill quite recently).  But this DLC isn't some fresh betrayal, it's a meaningless note which comes alongside a lot of improvement.  Have you heard that Wiz got reassigned a few months ago?  He wasn't the satan many caricature him as, but things have generally improved.

Re: Psychic combat, the obvious answer would be robot soldiers.  Cybernetically enhanced soldiers might have an edge as well, but even "neutral" empires on the material/spiritual axis can reasonably field battle-bots if need be. 

Spiritualists who haven't grokked their psionic potential yet...  Maybe should be at a disadvantage, but bolstered by the presence of the temple-line of buildings in defensive combat.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8258 on: November 05, 2019, 12:56:34 am »

Honestly, I kinda regard Paradox's DLC prices as overstated in how bad they are.  Yeah, they do total up to a high price over time, but this stuff is several years of development.  Compare that to something like CoD with yearly releases at $60 with $60 season passes that just give a couple new maps, the sheer amount that spending on cosmetics via micro transactions or lootboxes can total up to, and pay to win stuff in some games, Paradox seriously is not as bad as is being said. Hell, even diving back a little over a decade runs you into MMOs with monthly subscriptions that would outpace the money per year to the DLC for multiple Paradox games without accounting for inflation.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8259 on: November 05, 2019, 01:02:34 am »

I don't really see the hate either. Sure, they do some boneheaded stuff sometimes. But there isn't really anything quite like the games they make. The years and years of support and DLC is what makes them great.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8260 on: November 05, 2019, 02:24:36 am »

Psionic Ascension is the most fun of the Ascension options but I've always thought of it as the weakest mechanically. No guarantees of the boosts you get and also getting random debuffs. Plus the chance of dooming the galaxy (sure, you can say no...but who would?).

Becoming perfect immortal machines is probably the strongest one mechanically, though the traits of genetic ascension are pretty powerful too.

That's the thing: If I wanted to be a perfectly immortal machine, I'd just start the game as a perfectly immortal machine and save myself some ascension perks for other things. There's no benefit to going from squishy organic to machine empire versus starting as a machine empire.

So for me, that means there are two paths: Psionic Ascension, which comes with a bunch of nifty things, and genetic ascension, which involves a lot of fiddly bits of trying to perfectly optimize workers, researchers and leaders, and long, long waits as you slowly convert large portions of your population to templates.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8261 on: November 05, 2019, 02:38:05 am »

Machine empires are basically hive minds though, so it's not the same. Emotionless machines vs feeling individuals. Different gameplay too.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8262 on: November 05, 2019, 09:56:26 am »

There's no benefit to going from squishy organic to machine empire versus starting as a machine empire.

Ascended synth empires have happiness and factions, which can be good and bad but a well managed empire benefits from both of those. Machine Intelligence empires do not have either.
Synth pops have a pretty decent built-in bonus to resource production, just because they're synths. This comes from the synthetics tech, which gives a 10% boost to robot output, and then the synthetic ascension perk which adds another 10%.
Synth empires can have organic pops of other species if they want, which MI cannot.
Synth empires have trade, which MI do not. Trade can bring in a massive amount of energy almost for free.

Edit: Oh also, ascended synth empires get quite a lot of 'free' robot assembly jobs. I believe it's more than the robot assembly drone jobs that MI get from their capital buildings but I would need to check to be certain.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:58:12 am by forsaken1111 »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8263 on: November 05, 2019, 04:49:19 pm »

On the subject of DLC, I don't really care about the cosmetic DLCs or how expensive they are.  And while Stellaris is getting to the point of costing too much for all of its DLC, I'm mostly worried that it'll end up like CK2 or something where you could literally spend hundreds of dollars just to unlock game features, some of which are half baked.  Take traditions, for example, which probably should have been more complex and offered conflicting, exclusive choices, but which became another resource (unity) that unlocked tech tree 2.0.  I was hoping during the big tradition rework of 2.2 that they'd change that, but it seems unlikely that's ever going to happen.  Or, if it does, it'll probably be DLC on its own.

Or, if they ever introduce the ability to be religious about machines like the Adeptus Mechanicus, it'll probably be bundled in an unrelated DLC like many of the new megastructures are being tossed in.  Or you have to use mods.

It could be worse though.  At the very least, when playing in multiplayer it does unlock all DLC that the game host has.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8264 on: November 05, 2019, 07:36:24 pm »

On the subject of DLC, I don't really care about the cosmetic DLCs or how expensive they are.  And while Stellaris is getting to the point of costing too much for all of its DLC, I'm mostly worried that it'll end up like CK2 or something where you could literally spend hundreds of dollars just to unlock game features, some of which are half baked.  Take traditions, for example, which probably should have been more complex and offered conflicting, exclusive choices, but which became another resource (unity) that unlocked tech tree 2.0.  I was hoping during the big tradition rework of 2.2 that they'd change that, but it seems unlikely that's ever going to happen.  Or, if it does, it'll probably be DLC on its own.

Or, if they ever introduce the ability to be religious about machines like the Adeptus Mechanicus, it'll probably be bundled in an unrelated DLC like many of the new megastructures are being tossed in.  Or you have to use mods.

It could be worse though.  At the very least, when playing in multiplayer it does unlock all DLC that the game host has.
I dunno, for all that Stellaris is half-baked a lot of mechanics have been moving over from DLCs to the base game. So it might be the fairest Paradox game around, DLC-wise.

Too bad it's half-baked.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 632