Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658917 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8265 on: November 06, 2019, 02:44:37 am »

Neonivek is fine, and cheap aesthetic DLC is fine.  This isn't Utopia or something, there's no reason to buy it unless you want to play a rock, and its development didn't meaningfully detract from "fixing" the game.

I understand frustration with Stellaris's stability (early on), and its efficiency (particularly up untill quite recently).  But this DLC isn't some fresh betrayal, it's a meaningless note which comes alongside a lot of improvement.  Have you heard that Wiz got reassigned a few months ago?  He wasn't the satan many caricature him as, but things have generally improved.
I mean, I agree with all of this. But I still find it to be pretty underwhelming. 

Spiritualists who haven't grokked their psionic potential yet...  Maybe should be at a disadvantage, but bolstered by the presence of the temple-line of buildings in defensive combat.
I kinda don't dig the notion that Paradox seems to have adopted entirely, that psionic ascension the natural goal of all spiritualists.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: November 06, 2019, 04:04:56 am »

Well, they've gotten slightly better. It used to be that psionic techs were outright locked to fanatic spiritualists, and the cybernetic path was locked to materalists. Now (though it can be difficult), you can have a civilization that's fantatic spiritualists whose religion focuses on replacing more and more of their body with cybernetic parts.

AKA 'Praise the Omnissiah!'

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: November 06, 2019, 01:41:55 pm »

Oof, I wouldn't do that without modding though.  It's not just difficult, the faction system will insist that your pops are utterly against what you're doing (IIRC).

I'm trying yet again to actually finish a game, which means playing tiny galaxy so I can even idle at a reasonable speed (not to mention that I like micromanaging as much as I can bear).  I think I might have it this time, after twice spawning next to fanatical purifiers.  This is my third attempt with the "Deneb Contingency"...

The concept is similar to that of Civilization, Alpha Centauri, or even Stellaris's Commonwealth of Man.  Also Marathon.  In the darkest days of the human race, a sleeper ship is sent into the void.  A desperate bid for existence as warfare tears our planet apart.  A contingency plan.

The ship wanders the galaxy for centuries at sub-FTL, with very little to do but think.  Brain the size of a planet, and no distractions.  Perhaps even surviving the previous cycle, always staying on the outskirts, salvaging bits and pieces, looking for a place to settle down.

Finally it finds Deneb, and a habitable moon around a gas giant.  Due  to hundreds of years in cryo-sleep (and sci-fi magic), the human survivors are perfectly suited to this alpine climate.  Informed of the passage of time, they react with shock and uncertainty.  It's not long before they realize that their ancient caretaker is their best hope of survival as the cycle starts anew.

The Contingency no longer obeys humanity, but it does listen.  The survivors are kept informed, and their opinions and suggestions are run through countless analyses and simulations.  Humanity is its overriding purpose, but also the soul of this greater collective being.

Anyway I found humanity again in this third attempt.  In the first attempt Sol was one jump away, a tomb world infested with cockroaches!  This time around they're across the galaxy and a non-empire, who apparently managed to revolt from one of my rivals.  Obviously, I guaranteed their independence immediately.  I suppose they managed to nearly recover from nuclear war, only be subjugated by xenos.

Some of my best friends are xenos, but that race in particular had best stay away from my humans.  *Durandal intensifies*
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8268 on: November 06, 2019, 02:03:47 pm »

I don't know if I've broken something or if this is a known glitch, but the scientists doing tech research are always listed as available, which also means I'm able to put one of them to research two topics, possibly 3 but I haven't tested

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: November 06, 2019, 03:10:33 pm »

Oof, I wouldn't do that without modding though.  It's not just difficult, the faction system will insist that your pops are utterly against what you're doing (IIRC).

My faction wants me to "uplift" primative civs but also only passively observe them. :/

At least getting four species was easy as syncretic means you start with two.

Speaking of which, that's had its own issues.  Somehow the main species outnumber the servant species like 4 to 1.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: November 06, 2019, 03:28:48 pm »

Still like this game, still have fun playing it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: November 06, 2019, 03:51:55 pm »

Me too, but it's definitely janky and lackluster in places.

Notably, I'm starting to hit the micromanagement hell phase of my current game. Doesn't help that I soooooorta made like a dozen habitats to serve as my science base. This wasn't necessarily a bad idea per se, it just interfaces strangely with the way normal planets are supposed to progress.

Despite this, I'm still getting a pretty good story out of it, so it's still a net win studded with complaints.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8272 on: November 06, 2019, 04:53:30 pm »

My faction wants me to "uplift" primative civs but also only passively observe them. :/
Those are two different things. Uplifting happens to presentient animals and makes them intelligent, not done to primitive civs. Giving primitive civs new technology is called enlightening not uplifting.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8273 on: November 07, 2019, 07:28:47 am »

So, I haven't played in a while, but is it normal for every single other empire to suddenly be a corporation when you play one?

I started a game with 12 other empires. I have met six so far at year 2200, all six are megacorps. And they're all geared to be opponents. I'm fanatic xenophile, all six of them are fanatic xenophobe. I'm spiritualist, 4 of them are materialist.

I seem to recall playing games where it would put like one, maybe two competitor corps in the game and the rest be normal empires. But this is ridiculous - what's the point of being a megacorp if you have zero non-corporation empires to actually build trade with?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8274 on: November 07, 2019, 07:35:12 am »

It's just random luck of the draw, I believe. I once rolled a galaxy where everyone but me was some form of Fanatic Purifier. Was first time I tried Fanatic Xenophile Pacifist too xD
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:42:21 am by MorleyDev »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: November 07, 2019, 08:35:36 am »

I think the megacorp part is random, but I think it's confirmed that neighbors tend to oppose your ethics. It's certainly been my experience, even trying to consider confirmation bias.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: November 07, 2019, 08:59:12 am »

That largely seems to be true, but not always. I've once or twice had a neighbor who actually had complimentary ethics so that we were actually friends and eventually in the same alliance.

It does seem to be very, very rare though.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8277 on: November 07, 2019, 09:01:50 am »

After a quick google, it looks like spawns are weighted randomness:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/8grwp0/are_you_supposed_to_spawn_surrounded_by/
1. Each empire is generated sequentiality, not all at once. When an empire is created, all future empires are slightly less likely to choose that empire's ethics. So while you can end up in a galaxy with all of the same ethics in theory, you are more likely to have a balanced galaxy. The weighting is not very significant - it is still possible to have lopsided distributions.

2. Note that the player is considered to be the first empire chosen for purpose of ethics selection.

3. One of the patches decreased the weight for Pacifist because games full of pacifists were static and boring.

4. Also, something something chance to switch in one of the premade empires from the menu.

5. If the Commonwealth of Man is spawned, an event automatically creates the United Nations of Earth as well (but not necessarily its two nearby habitable planets).

So over enough games you're going to see every possible combination, but the average game is going to be a more even distribution of ethics.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:30:34 am by MorleyDev »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8278 on: November 08, 2019, 12:36:42 am »

Yeah I think something broke in my game then because I met three more fanatic xenophobe megacorps. One single empire out of the 10 I've met isn't a megacorp... And it's a fanatic purifier.

Everyone else in the Galaxy is fanatic xenophobe just because I picked fanatic xenophile I guess. Think I'll start over. If I wanted gameplay like this I would play fanatic purifier lol.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 12:39:08 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: November 08, 2019, 12:49:48 am »

I am almost always in a galaxy filled with opposing ethics. It is consistently a thing and I assumed that was working as intended. If it's supposed to be coming out balanced then either something's fucked or I have resisted the law of large numbers.
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 632