Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1659041 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8280 on: November 08, 2019, 05:40:16 am »

Could also be a mod messing with the system. Sometimes mods have unpredictable and non-obvious knock on effects

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8281 on: November 08, 2019, 12:18:51 pm »

The new dev diary has some interesting things in it: link.

This is more or less what I expected the Space UN to look like in Stellaris, and I think it's a good start.  There were still a lot of questions left unanswered or with very vague answers, such as what happens if you violate the resolutions or leave the galactic community.

It will be nice to be able to bop other idiot empires over the head for having closed borders during a galactic crisis now, so that's nice.  I'm also not holding my breath for a new crisis, but there was enough mention of things like banding the galaxy together or maintaining military readiness that it at least seems plausible that they're doing something more with crises.

I also agree with some of the comments that this feels more like something that should be part of each federation instead of a Space UN.  That way there could be competing political bodies and so on.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8282 on: November 08, 2019, 01:11:20 pm »

Sounds like something that could potentially add actual fun to the game, and that is diverse and open enough to both be initially encompassing and to be expanded meaningfully, which is where the faction system ended up so disappointing.

This is more or less what I expected the Space UN to look like in Stellaris, and I think it's a good start.  There were still a lot of questions left unanswered or with very vague answers, such as what happens if you violate the resolutions or leave the galactic community.
I don't think it's that vague. They do nothing except provide triggers for resolutions. Examples of effects that resolutions triggering off these states provide include CB generation and economic sanctions.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8283 on: November 08, 2019, 01:22:04 pm »

I want to be able to leave the senate and declare war on it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8284 on: November 08, 2019, 02:28:29 pm »

I want to be able to leave the senate and declare war on it.
You can leave it, but it seems that the senate is completely separate from federation mechanics, so it never acts as a single political player. You'd have to fight the members one at a time.

Unless they make some kind of special exception.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8285 on: November 08, 2019, 05:04:38 pm »

You can get some more hints of what will be possible by looking at the achievements on Steam; they've already been updated to include the not-yet-released federation changes, by the look of things.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8286 on: November 08, 2019, 05:23:46 pm »

Sounds like something that could potentially add actual fun to the game, and that is diverse and open enough to both be initially encompassing and to be expanded meaningfully, which is where the faction system ended up so disappointing.

I don't think it's that vague. They do nothing except provide triggers for resolutions. Examples of effects that resolutions triggering off these states provide include CB generation and economic sanctions.

Yeah, but I'm wondering what economic sanctions mean in this case, for example.  I'm betting it will be something like a penalty to trade value or energy generation, but I'm not sure that makes sense considering that many if not most empires don't actually have trade with other empires in the first place.  Maybe that's changing in this patch, but I'd be surprised.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8287 on: November 08, 2019, 05:25:37 pm »

...Don't they?  I feel like xenophobes are the outlier, and even they trade sometimes if they aren't fanatic.  Silicon empires still trade, right?  I think organic gestalts don't.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8288 on: November 08, 2019, 05:43:34 pm »

Anything that isn't a gestalt (hives or MI) or purifier can trade with other empires I believe. Not all of them are willing.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8289 on: November 09, 2019, 09:57:19 pm »

Yeah, that's been my experience.  Since my neighbors usually hate me due to the preprogrammed opposing ethics placement of empires, it's very rare that I ever form commercial pacts with neighbors.  Admittedly I do play inward perfectionists a lot, but even when I try playing egalitarian xenophiles I rarely get more than one or two trade pacts and I always get almost nothing from them compared to internal trade.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8290 on: November 09, 2019, 11:00:59 pm »

Yeah, but I'm wondering what economic sanctions mean in this case, for example.  I'm betting it will be something like a penalty to trade value or energy generation, but I'm not sure that makes sense considering that many if not most empires don't actually have trade with other empires in the first place.  Maybe that's changing in this patch, but I'd be surprised.
I'm almost 100% sure that sanctions while you're in the group will just be a penalty as you describe, or something like forced demilitarization (penalty to fleet size) of varying magnitudes, which you'd have to leave the union to avoid. As for the consequences of leaving, maybe there's something like limited use of the galactic market or even banishment from it (since the galactic market will now be formed by resolution) or prohibition on trading with members for a period of time, but I'm willing to bet that the CB thing will be the meat of it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8291 on: November 09, 2019, 11:17:20 pm »

But could I make the Space HRE?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8292 on: November 10, 2019, 10:12:16 am »

Yeah, pretty sure the empire spawning is heavily weighting xenophobe corporations when I make a xenophile corporation. I started several games and checked empires using cheats and every game had at least half or more of all empires being corporations with at least xenophobe if not fanatic xenophobe. One game had 18 AI empires and 17 of them were fanatic xenophobe corporations.

It doesn't even provide any kind of special challenge, since these anti-empires are just crappy. Fanatic xenophobe corporation just isn't a strong empire.

Guess if I want a fun game I'll have to engineer the whole thing with force spawned empires. Add a few competing corporations to give me rival corps to fight and a bunch of random empires to fill in the rest. Lame though, since I wanted to stumble upon truly random aliens and not know what I would find as I explored. But finding premade empires that kind of make sense is better than finding the entire galaxy is just a bunch of opposites of me.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: November 10, 2019, 06:38:43 pm »

IIRC the game weights randgen empires to be opposing ethos regardless of cluster settings for some godforsaken reason, swear it wasn't like that before.

These days I just have a shitton of premade empires of varying flavors and/or just play the star trek mod :P

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8294 on: November 11, 2019, 11:28:06 am »

The specific case of too many corporations (and xenophobic corporations specifically) seems like it is, while not a bug exactly, a poorly designed bit of gameplay beyond what the weighting normally intends to accomplish.
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 632