Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658893 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8325 on: November 15, 2019, 12:50:21 pm »

Federations grant various advantages.  Not much at first, as far as I can tell, but that just means that a "head start" on building cohesion/leveling up the federation is still an advantage.

Personally I'm embarassingly excited for Void Dwellers.  There's very little information on it, I have just always loved the concept and tend to beeline habitats.  I wonder if the species will have very poor planetary habitability, or if it's mostly balanced by the sheer cost of constructing habitats.  Someone suggested it might be like life-seeded habitability which seems likely.  I wonder if they'll get special hydroponic districts rather than the somewhat lacking hydroponics buildings, or if that'll be an interesting part of the challenge~

(Acquiring robots or other species will surely allow relatively normal planet exploitation in the early midgame, but I still love the idea)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8326 on: November 15, 2019, 06:53:35 pm »

So is Calamitous Birth basically proliferation-via-Lavos, or what? Because that sounds awesome as hell.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8327 on: November 15, 2019, 08:38:04 pm »

See my mind went directly to the Mycon of Star Control 2!  Though I suppose that's a vague spoiler :P
Also Orks of kourse, except Orks... aren't... wait, are WH40K Orks lithovores??   That would actually make a lot of sense with their weird life-cycle, even if it's only for their initial stages.

I was looking for clarification of what the meteorite colony ship's "dramatic fashion" was, but I think they're being coy about that.  Someone pointed out that the promise of a Massive Crater on your homeworld hints that "colonized" worlds might gain similar terrain, which presumably increases mineral districts.  Which kinda makes me want to *meet* such a race, and take their blasted worlds~  No idea whether they'll be inhabitable for me, but that's what slavery xenophilia is for.

This succinct dev reply was of great interest to me:
Any details on how the Ring World, Habitat and Relic world starts are going to deal with the lack of mineral districts or food districts, respectively?

Shattered Ring: One of the sections is permanently shattered. The celestial object responsible and the ring segment itself can be mined. (Note: Lithoids still have a really tough start here, since they'll eat most of the minerals, and they can't acquire minerals from their home section.)

Void Dwellers: One of the habitats you start with is a mining habitat. Hydroponics for food.

Remnants: Your homeworld has decayed enough that all four basic district types are represented.

Whereas this longer dev reply adds clarification to several of the origins.
We joked about "Accept Your Fate", where you just waited 64 years but while amusing didn't sound like a lot of fun.
hehehe
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8328 on: November 15, 2019, 09:05:35 pm »

This is off-topic, but I've encountered a frustrating issue in my current game where things have stopped showing up in my Situation Log for no good reason. I've bought two Curator Insights and clicked the 'investigate' option on a group of ancient mining drones multiple times, but neither the entry for the insights nor the the Special Project for the drones have appeared in the Log.
Black lives matter.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8329 on: November 15, 2019, 09:40:03 pm »

So is Calamitous Birth basically proliferation-via-Lavos, or what? Because that sounds awesome as hell.
That's my thought as well.
I wonder what sort of Lavos-y empire I can possibly build with the game's limitations.
Hive mind, perhaps?

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8330 on: November 16, 2019, 05:56:39 am »

Real Question: Why would I want to do this start?
... as well as 2 established vassals paying you taxes, which is nice.

This is only nice assuming vassals have stopped being completely useless, otherwise you just end up with two 1-system neighbours that can't do shit because they don't get any AI bonuses because they are your vassals and are thus completely unable to handle the early-game buildup or pretty much anything else
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 05:59:01 am by Sartain »

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8331 on: November 16, 2019, 08:07:19 am »

In my experience smaller vassals have done more for me than entire federations. Which is to say they actually participate in the wars I get called into by the only two jerkoffs in the galaxy that share my ethics. They don't always accomplish anything but by god do they try.

"I may have been banging rocks together in a cave last week, but I'm taking this system's outpost with my three corvettes if it's the last thing I ev--"
*Fleet lost*
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8332 on: November 16, 2019, 09:35:34 am »

Luckily the AI's response to that is "My system is under attack by 3 corvettes, better send 150k of my own fleet to go check that out"
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8333 on: November 16, 2019, 05:19:31 pm »

It always feels like a coin toss between that and 'rush homeworld no stop'. And don't forget everyone's favorite scenario where one of your war goal systems is occupied by someone else, so you're either forced to peace out or wait for war exhaustion to kick in, despite occupying literally everything else they own. Fuck.

I've got high hopes for the new origin mechanic. The 'lost colony' origin sounds like the UNE/commonwealth, so I'm hoping we'll be able to customize and play as the extra nations.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8334 on: November 16, 2019, 08:33:16 pm »

So does having living metal do anything for me without dlc? I know there's a policy for megastructures but I've pretty much built all the gateways I need and afaik without dlc that's the only megastructure

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8335 on: November 16, 2019, 08:53:31 pm »

It'll sell for a pretty penny, but yeah, I think there's no concrete value in the stuff.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8336 on: November 18, 2019, 12:22:27 pm »

I can confirm that; without DLC its only use is the one edict.
Black lives matter.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8337 on: November 18, 2019, 12:51:23 pm »

Which is kinda sad as it used to give you passive automatic (but very slow) ship repairs

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8338 on: November 19, 2019, 02:51:34 pm »

Which is kinda sad as it used to give you passive automatic (but very slow) ship repairs

I really liked this.

It would be nice to get that back as an edict. Do we have that as an edict? I use it for megastructures.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8339 on: November 19, 2019, 06:42:25 pm »

In my experience smaller vassals have done more for me than entire federations. Which is to say they actually participate in the wars I get called into by the only two jerkoffs in the galaxy that share my ethics. They don't always accomplish anything but by god do they try.

"I may have been banging rocks together in a cave last week, but I'm taking this system's outpost with my three corvettes if it's the last thing I ev--"
*Fleet lost*

I guess, but unless they've upped the capability of the AI 1-system vassals will happily sit around for a 100 years tanking their own economy and not even expanding to available, neighboring systems. Which I suppose explains why they only have 3 corvettes...
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 632