Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658906 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8340 on: November 19, 2019, 06:48:40 pm »

Has there ever been a situation where a human took control of a one system vassal and tried to develop them?  I'm wondering if its even possible...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8341 on: November 19, 2019, 07:08:19 pm »

I mean I saw one where someone came back after the Big Bad Shroud Event happened, with their one planet and all.

So yeah, it should be possible, if very, very time-consuming.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8342 on: November 20, 2019, 02:06:28 am »

I guess, but unless they've upped the capability of the AI 1-system vassals will happily sit around for a 100 years tanking their own economy and not even expanding to available, neighboring systems. Which I suppose explains why they only have 3 corvettes...

Vassals, protectorates, and the unique names Awakened Empires use (but pointedly not tributaries) are actually mechanically incapable of spreading to new systems without their overlord having the Feudal Society civic.
Black lives matter.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8343 on: November 20, 2019, 02:23:01 am »

If there's a system you think would be really good on your vassal, you could take it yourself and gift it.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8344 on: November 20, 2019, 05:15:10 am »

Sigh. Every time I get back into this game the same stupid crap makes me want to uninstall it. I see migration is still horrifically stupidly broken.

Made a migration treaty with another empire solely so I could use their pops to populate my dry worlds since they're desert. What I didn't realize is they happen to have pops of a different species which are adaptable. Cue my ENTIRE EMPIRE growing nothing but that species, even on worlds where my species is 80 hab and they are 30. I didn't notice this until my economy was tanking due to all the 30 hab pops on my main worlds. Literally every single world is growing nothing but them and they are already over 1/3 of my empire after a few short years. Moved them all to worlds they actually have good habitability on and turned migration controls on. Still my entire empire insists on growing them. Had to cancel the migration treaty with my neighbor to stop them.

The entire time, not a single pop of their main species migrated over. So I still don't have desert pops. Sadly I didn't wait to colonize the world's so I can't do it that way. So now I have one world with 80 pops and the rest of my empire has stagnated, and I didn't even get the desert loving pops that I wanted.

In short, migration treaty results in my entire species becoming sterile and being replaced by useless adaptable species that I only have one world they can even live on at high habitability.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8345 on: November 20, 2019, 11:21:27 am »

If your Population Controls policy is set to Allowed you can manually select a specific pop type for growth on a specific planet (including ones that can only grow via migration), so you can have only their desert species grow on your dry worlds and only your own species grow on your other worlds.
Black lives matter.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8346 on: November 20, 2019, 12:30:41 pm »

I guess, but unless they've upped the capability of the AI 1-system vassals will happily sit around for a 100 years tanking their own economy and not even expanding to available, neighboring systems. Which I suppose explains why they only have 3 corvettes...

Vassals, protectorates, and the unique names Awakened Empires use (but pointedly not tributaries) are actually mechanically incapable of spreading to new systems without their overlord having the Feudal Society civic.

Oh right, this was with the Feudal civic as I've tried multiple times to see if it's actually any good. It's really not

If there's a system you think would be really good on your vassal, you could take it yourself and gift it.
Which is unfortunately pretty much the only way to get vassals to do any sort of expanding, and even then they have a tendency so suck so hard at building up their economy that even if you gift them thousands of minerals and energy they won't even manage to develop the potential stations in their territory.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 12:32:27 pm by Sartain »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8347 on: November 20, 2019, 01:49:39 pm »

In that case, vassals also have the irritating issue of not being able to expand if they are vassalized before constructing a shipyard, according to the wiki.
Black lives matter.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8348 on: November 20, 2019, 03:52:06 pm »

Sigh. Every time I get back into this game the same stupid crap makes me want to uninstall it. I see migration is still horrifically stupidly broken.

Made a migration treaty with another empire solely so I could use their pops to populate my dry worlds since they're desert. What I didn't realize is they happen to have pops of a different species which are adaptable. Cue my ENTIRE EMPIRE growing nothing but that species, even on worlds where my species is 80 hab and they are 30. I didn't notice this until my economy was tanking due to all the 30 hab pops on my main worlds. Literally every single world is growing nothing but them and they are already over 1/3 of my empire after a few short years. Moved them all to worlds they actually have good habitability on and turned migration controls on. Still my entire empire insists on growing them. Had to cancel the migration treaty with my neighbor to stop them.

The entire time, not a single pop of their main species migrated over. So I still don't have desert pops. Sadly I didn't wait to colonize the world's so I can't do it that way. So now I have one world with 80 pops and the rest of my empire has stagnated, and I didn't even get the desert loving pops that I wanted.

In short, migration treaty results in my entire species becoming sterile and being replaced by useless adaptable species that I only have one world they can even live on at high habitability.
Unfortunately, Stellaris has never really known what it's doing with pops or how they're distinct from your other infrastructure. Part of the problem is waffling in this weird middle ground between controlled and autonomous, where you can't just click buttons to tell them what to do but they're also not smart enough to be effective- or more importantly, interesting- on their own. I think that's largely symptomatic of not being willing to take either extreme, though: They absolutely want pops to Exist and Do Stuff, but they're not willing to take the plunge and model birth rates or employment decisions, so... even out the population over time and call it a day, I guess.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8349 on: November 20, 2019, 04:33:57 pm »

Unfortunately, Stellaris has never really known what it's doing with pops or how they're distinct from your other infrastructure. Part of the problem is waffling in this weird middle ground between controlled and autonomous, where you can't just click buttons to tell them what to do but they're also not smart enough to be effective- or more importantly, interesting- on their own. I think that's largely symptomatic of not being willing to take either extreme, though: They absolutely want pops to Exist and Do Stuff, but they're not willing to take the plunge and model birth rates or employment decisions, so... even out the population over time and call it a day, I guess.

I feel like this is symptomatic for a lot of the design choices made with Stellaris. It started out somewhat daring and has become more and more waffling, boring-compromise design as the DLC/update cycles have been going on. It's a damn shame too because there's a lot of things that could be very, very awesome in the game but instead just end up as mildly interesting but bland instead. Maybe the next DLC/update will make it better but I'm not getting my hopes up, I think I'll just have to settle for Stellaris never becoming as bold as I hoped it would

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8350 on: November 20, 2019, 05:23:53 pm »

Early on, Stellaris felt an awful lot like what MOO3 aspired to be, but progressive updates have sanded the aspirational edge off more and more. I still play it, but the whole "ever increasing breadth" DLC model is a bit depressing, especially since there have indeed been a few core rule revisions that made it shallower, albeit not a ton.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8351 on: November 20, 2019, 05:33:28 pm »

I think it's also a result of the game being on its third director now.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8352 on: November 21, 2019, 12:03:52 pm »

And yet I still keep coming back to playing it lol. It's one of those games that catches my attention despite its terrible flaws. At least most of the issues can be worked around.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8353 on: November 21, 2019, 03:13:57 pm »

Has there ever been a situation where a human took control of a one system vassal and tried to develop them?  I'm wondering if its even possible...

Multiplayer allows people to come in as any empire, including vassalized ones, so yes, it is fully possible.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8354 on: November 22, 2019, 11:40:29 am »

And yet I still keep coming back to playing it lol. It's one of those games that catches my attention despite its terrible flaws. At least most of the issues can be worked around.

Oh yeah, same here. I also buy all DLCs on release because I still dare to hope, and I am entertained by them for sure but it doesn't take many hours of play before I become disappointed at how it totally doesn't live up to the potential I imagine it has
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 632