Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658849 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8850 on: June 16, 2020, 11:47:18 am »

Even cheating and having way too many goddamn ships/fleets, I don't think I would be able to get away with that.

It's been interesting cheating though, I've integrated all my previous subjects into my civ. My Divine-Empress created a pacifist faction. There are only a few empires left, and one is about to be destroyed by the Cuelans I fought against. The others I intend to integrate peacefully, somehow. I rule like half the galaxy and just accumulated much of that by integrating protectorates.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8851 on: June 16, 2020, 05:49:41 pm »

Even cheating and having way too many goddamn ships/fleets, I don't think I would be able to get away with that.

It's been interesting cheating though, I've integrated all my previous subjects into my civ. My Divine-Empress created a pacifist faction. There are only a few empires left, and one is about to be destroyed by the Cuelans I fought against. The others I intend to integrate peacefully, somehow. I rule like half the galaxy and just accumulated much of that by integrating protectorates.

depends on how many there are. if there's just 2, then attack one, and as soon as you win, declare war on the other. with 2 there's no risk. with 3, there's some risk, but depending on how fast you're winning the wars, not much. past 3, it gets quite a bit riskier, and you likely need to attack all remaining FEs after defeating the first.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8852 on: October 25, 2020, 09:47:19 pm »

Jeez, three and a half months.

I'm playing again after a while, and was just noticing how I let other space-nations do the translation work.  I feel like I remember getting influence despite them doing all the work, and yet I'm fairly sure I didn't just now.  Either way, pausing society research is a big deal, even balanced against expansion-stage influence.

Ah well.  Playing rogue servitor again, inspired by a story I read.  Looking to be much more aggressive than previous RS runs, saving those poor pops from their cruel nations.  Though I'm sure I'll get tired of micromanaging before the endgame, again.

Or I'll get my chrome kicked in again.  These neighbors are Xenophile+ Materialists, though...  I think we might become allies.  Because stargods know, there are guaranteed to be spiritualists on our border.

Any thoughts on the Necron Necroids species pack?  Coming out just before Halloween, with unique mechanics.  Sounds similar to Lithoids feature-wise, which is fine and all.  I'm not buying it just yet but looking forward to seeing them in my games.

Edit:  I mean that it seems like a similar level of unique features.  Some new civics and an origin, so that's pretty cool.  Here's a link.

Also oh wow Servitors can get Nihilistic Acquisition.  Time to get *stupid*.  (Because IIRC this perk sucks, but maybe it can be fun).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 10:08:54 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8853 on: October 25, 2020, 10:23:20 pm »

I kinda want to use the womb/bubble-boy species in the pack as creepy robot rogue servitors but I doubt that's possible without modding the portrait into a robutt.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: October 25, 2020, 10:32:07 pm »

Yeah I'm a little annoyed that you can't choose squishy frames for your wired hivemind.  I guess that's what Driven Assimilators are for, but bleh.

also our second contact is Fanatical Purifiers, of freaking course.  And they apparently don't care that we're silicon.  Fair enough, time to score some diplomacy points with the materialists (who are harming relations despite their fanatical xenophilia.  nice.  I'm freaking guaranteeing them independence and countering their diplomat but they're being real mean to the "Sophisticated Machines".)
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: October 25, 2020, 10:36:46 pm »

Maybe they believe they're better off with their freedom, the silly things.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8856 on: October 25, 2020, 10:47:40 pm »

Oh, that would be the fanatical egalitarians on my third border.  *That's* going to be fun (it will not be fun, they have a fundamental ethical conflict with my existence.  Much like authoritarians approve of my existence).

I want to befriend these materialist Xenophiles in good faith.  The game should really allow migration to Servitor empires (and optionally, emigration from them!) but failing that, I'm happy to befriend an empire that respects machines and other life.  Indefinitely.

Edit:  It's a nice touch that refugees are able to seek out Servitor empires.  Though it's obviously kind of dark that it's only refugees who "choose" that fate.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 10:49:16 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8857 on: October 25, 2020, 11:34:15 pm »

My recent game was as pacifist/xenophobe/materialist inward perfectionist with the ringworld start.

Trader caravan of starfish rolled around to sell me bunk beds of all things.  Tell them the bunk beds cost too much and they end up throwing a party before actually fucking off.  Upon their departure I'm prompted they left four pops worth of half snail half starfish bastards.  Apparently the default for xenos is to purge (displacement) them, but I decide to keep them around for nefarious purposes as second class citizens for now.

The first problem is apparently being a starfish makes one desert adapted, the pure snails IIRC were continental, and for RP reasons I didn't want second class starfish dorks stinking up our cool ringworld.  I ended up first stuffing them on whatever offworld I did settle (they hated it obviously).  The rubricator event chain fired spawning a special relic world, so while that went on I could settle them there no problem.

Thing is, the rubricator spawns a space dragon, and if the dragon isn't dealt with it'll destroy whatever settlement you have on his home relic world.  So there goes the poor starfish bastards.

Good news was I still had a single starfish pop left, apparently on the ringworld (guess I hoped the higher habitability would give them pop growth?).  I had finally a desert world to dump him on (now called space australia), so there he went.  Now I have two whole pops of bastards.

I originally went through all this bullocks to try and breed them as some sort of slave/indentured servant race, but there's probably no way I'm realistically doing that from a single pop of them, and also by now I have a good amount of level two robot pops who probably do their jobs better anyways.

Such is the Ballad of the Red-Headed Step Starfish Children.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: October 26, 2020, 02:51:13 pm »

Oh, that would be the fanatical egalitarians on my third border.  *That's* going to be fun (it will not be fun, they have a fundamental ethical conflict with my existence.  Much like authoritarians approve of my existence).

I want to befriend these materialist Xenophiles in good faith.  The game should really allow migration to Servitor empires (and optionally, emigration from them!) but failing that, I'm happy to befriend an empire that respects machines and other life.  Indefinitely.

Edit:  It's a nice touch that refugees are able to seek out Servitor empires.  Though it's obviously kind of dark that it's only refugees who "choose" that fate.
Y'know who loves Rogue Servitors? Slaver empires.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8859 on: October 26, 2020, 05:08:57 pm »

I am playing materialistic ultra-science humanoids.

Got every possible plus to science.

It's quite nice, I'm researching level ten of repeatable tech before most other civs hit any at all.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8860 on: October 26, 2020, 05:23:05 pm »

It's quite nice, I'm researching level ten of repeatable tech before most other civs hit any at all.
Don't forget to irresponsibly leave superweapons and dyson spheres in the hands of lesser civilisations with no oversight

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8861 on: October 26, 2020, 06:07:32 pm »

Don't forget to irresponsibly leave superweapons and dyson spheres in the hands of lesser civilisations with no oversight

Basically the scion origin, right
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8862 on: October 26, 2020, 06:41:02 pm »

Basically the scion origin, right

I could actually do this.

I could build a megastructure or some such and then gift a system to a minor power on like, the other side of the galaxy. I guess it might not make a huge difference this late in the game but it would be amusing.

Wish there was a way to gift fleets to vassals. I would 100% give someone a planet cracker.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: October 26, 2020, 07:03:46 pm »

My recent game was as pacifist/xenophobe/materialist inward perfectionist with the ringworld start.

Trader caravan of starfish rolled around to sell me bunk beds of all things.  Tell them the bunk beds cost too much and they end up throwing a party before actually fucking off.  Upon their departure I'm prompted they left four pops worth of half snail half starfish bastards.  Apparently the default for xenos is to purge (displacement) them, but I decide to keep them around for nefarious purposes as second class citizens for now.

I've had this happen a couple of times, and ever since I turn off caravaneers if I'm playing inward perfectionists.

My last game ended abruptly because Stellaris pooped itself, as it does occasionally, and corrupted my save file.  First time I've seen that at least.

I was in the middle of modifying my pops when the low-habitability colony event fired that causes some of the pops to self-modify.  The modification project aborted, wasted the years of research time I'd dumped into it and left me with only two pops actually modified.  The other pops are no longer eating or using consumer goods for some reason.  Afterward I immediately resumed the project to also convert the new self-modified pops to my original subspecies again, which went fine and fixed that bizarre problem.

A few game years later, the event resumes, with my pops declaring that they hated themselves and a pop died because of the unrest.  Then they modified themselves again by adding strong, which did not replace weak so my pops were strong and weak, and rapid breeders.  I ran the species modification again to fix my pops, which worked again.  That was followed by more events claiming my pops hated their new neighbors, despite them all being the same subspecies again.

Oh, but what's this?  Nobody is eating or using consumer goods again!

Turns out that was happening because all of my pops were stuck in the living standard for converting them to cyborgs, which I'd converted everyone to decades ago.  I changed it back to Social Welfare, which lasted exactly one month before they switched back.  Oops, I forgot you also had to change the species citizenship to be full citizens instead of assimilation, which I fixed.  But now I had to wait 10 years to fix the living standard again because you can only change it once per 10 years.

Waited 10 years, built a bunch of mega structures and two ecumenopoleis.  Fixed my pops again, which worked for real this time.  Saved and quit.

Loaded the game today to find that 30 game years were missing.  I tried to load the correct file only to find that it was corrupted.  I'm not sure it was caused by the above fiasco, but it sure seems conveniently timed.

I didn't see this bug fixed in the patch notes for 2.8, and I'm sure 2.8 will introduce new bugs, so I guess I should wait a few weeks for more patches before playing again.  And not settling planets below 40% habitability this time because I hated that event enough without the bugs.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8864 on: October 26, 2020, 09:32:30 pm »

Strong and weak at the same time? Sounds like very philosophical pops
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 632