Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658889 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #9180 on: August 19, 2021, 06:34:11 pm »

why be artisans when you can be c o m m u n i s t
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9181 on: August 19, 2021, 06:40:22 pm »

Communism is dead, turns out decadence leads to an overall happier more stable society for probably less cost.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9182 on: August 19, 2021, 06:54:28 pm »

People are doing a lot of arguing that the new decadent lifestyle is almost as good as utopian abundance while being vastly cheaper, so Paradox seems to think so...

But then, as they pointed out, it does eat up a civic slot, so that factors into the balancing some.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9183 on: August 21, 2021, 09:37:57 am »

Communism is dead, turns out decadence leads to an overall happier more stable society for probably less cost.
Coomunism will rise, but it is not the only thing which rises

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9184 on: August 21, 2021, 11:47:30 am »

Coomunism will rise, but it is not the only thing which rises
communism with xeno-compatability so the sperm can truly be divided equally amongst the people.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9185 on: September 14, 2021, 10:19:45 am »

Woooo 3.1 with all the balance stuff is out!  For those who aren't lurking the Discord or whatever.  Steam-autodownloaded it pretty fast.  Finally I get to play this again, I was holding off.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9186 on: September 14, 2021, 10:42:29 am »

It's going to be tough to wait until I'm done with work since I've been anticipating it for a while.  Steam doesn't seem to have downloaded it for me yet, but I'll try restarting or doing an integrity check if it doesn't download it by this afternoon sometime.

I'm really interested in trying out some of the new civics and the tradition changes.  None of it's revolutionary, but it should be fun regardless.  Also glad to see some of the bugfixes, like reinforcement fleets being willing to join and reinforce fleets in combat and not lingering in the fleet manager if destroyed.

Now, how many new bugs will they introduce?  That's the real question.  :)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9187 on: September 14, 2021, 04:36:44 pm »

I was honestly wondering if a bug had prevented any AI empires from spawning for the first 25 years of this game, but I found them eventually.  Expanding as fast as my influence would allow in two directions, my Militarist Egalitarians looking forward to play with the Idyllic Bloom civic made first contact with 2 races almost simultaneously.  One of which, arthropoids, boarded my science ship and summarily executed the crew.

So I was a little confused when I got contacted by the Fanatical Purifiers... But they were molluscs?  All became clear when the arthropoid Devouring Swarm contacted me shortly after.

that went about as well as you'd think, especially since I hadn't invested in anchorages at all.  I threw together a relatively high-tech fleet almost of almost 40 ships and tried to gank the Purifiers while the Swarm was busy devouring someone I hadn't met, but they countered with a fleet 50% stronger.  Since I myself was 50% over my fleet capacity, I decided to concede.  This is as militarist, mind you, but really it was just supremely bad luck.  I was just as likely to roll pacifist authoritarians as neighbors, and I was largely to blame for overexpanding.  (I also didn't remember "nonadaptive" would give me 70% habitability on worlds of my exact biome).

Gotta say though, the Idyllic Bloom thing doesn't seem very strong.  Even the first stage (of four) costs 1350 energy, then 20 energy/month and a building slot, just to get +10% pop growth.  And the planet type has to match your homeworld, and it takes like 14 months to build that stage.  It might be a great flavor thing, but... if you're going to be terraforming anyway, there's a perfectly good ascension perk.

On the other hand while Idyllic Bloom doesn't work with Habitat or Ring World preference (or Life Seeded lul), it does appear to be compatible with Tomb World preference.  And I do know one way to "terraform" to tomb worlds, though it takes a particular civic ;)

Edit: (furthermore, budding seemed kinda nice but I was still struggling for pops to fill jobs.  Probably shouldn't have expanded to non-tropical worlds as Unadaptive.  Frankly I shouldn't have taken a wet world preference, but I was trying to play plants and maybe even take the *objectively waste of a pick* make-alloys-from-food civic eventually.  All for flavor really.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:41:12 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9188 on: September 15, 2021, 05:17:08 pm »

Idyllic Bloom did look a bit underwhelming to me, but is fantastic flavor.  I'd pick World Shapers for an ascension perk in any circumstance other than flavor, but it's kind of cool.

Budding is another one that I figured was cool for flavor and looked okay on paper, but probably wouldn't pan out and be great in practice.  It won't do much to fight against the new pop growth mechanics, which I despise and turn off now.

Master Crafters on the other hand has been pretty nice for my life-seeded species who always struggle for consumer goods in the early game.  Even with the loss of the consumer benefits economic policy, with Master Crafters I've had a nice surplus of consumer goods so far.  The extra engineering research is just a small but nice little cherry on top.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9189 on: September 16, 2021, 11:42:42 pm »

Idyllic Bloom does appear to be compatible with Tomb World preference.

It does but it doesn't :/ (assuming you mean the tomb world origin)

Like it'd be cool if your civ was dedicated to un-tombing your world via bloom, but it don't work that way.  It doesn't give you tomb preference anymore, just a big habit bonus towards tombs, and therefore tombs aren't "native" enough to bloom into gaias.  Meaning I guess you need to terraform the tomb world anyway.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9190 on: September 16, 2021, 11:47:40 pm »

Aww.  I guess what I had in mind was pretty bizarre even for Stellaris:  bombing worlds into tombs, then colonizing them and making them sprout like phoenix.

The wild part would be that it'd require Fanatical Purifiers to get the armageddon bombing.  Though I guess Jovian Pox or Become The Crisis hijinks work too, but I don't have those DLC yet.  (I keep getting really close to buying Nemesis for the Custodian content but I'd prefer a sale, even though it's such a meaty DLC and the non-DLC new content have been great)
She/they

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9191 on: September 18, 2021, 04:11:35 pm »

>Be clone army origin
>Pick barbaric despoiler, figure why not, slave pops to fluff out pops because clones don't grow
>Relatively weak Lithoid neighbor

yeah boy

edit: they have the rare crystal generation trait as well
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 11:13:28 pm by MrRoboto75 »
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9192 on: November 26, 2021, 09:22:49 pm »

Aquatic species pack is out and 20% off. For a limited time only you can spend $8 to play as a dolphin with a pirate advisor and so dependent on moisture that Gaia worlds are a downgrade.

I'm still not sure if it's brilliance or coincidence that led them to making exactly the thing I wanted, but they got my $8.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9193 on: November 26, 2021, 10:55:05 pm »

Look like crab, talk like people!?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9194 on: November 26, 2021, 11:15:43 pm »

Blub blub, huge fish.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 632