Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1672416 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #9240 on: March 15, 2022, 04:17:49 pm »

Different bits of the Imperium are pretty materialist, while others are spiritualist. Yes everyone is supposed to worship the Emperor, but not everyone actually does. Among the Administratum, the Arbites and similar organisations they're about as likely to worship the paperwork they do, to the point that the Administratum has had civil wars about how to file things properly. I would personally say the most consistent trend in the Imperium as a whole is being militaristic, xenophobic and authoritarian.

The Mechanicus are actually non-materialist weirdly enough, believing in an abstract deity (Deus Mechanicus) who sent robo-Jesus (the Omnissiah) to guide them to spiritual enlightenment through the understanding of the blessed machine. They're space Catholics with a robot aesthetic, and tech manuals in place of bibles. They even have a Holy Ghost analogue called the Motive Force to fill out the trinity.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9241 on: March 15, 2022, 04:33:07 pm »

I've been wanting to create an expy of the Culture, from the Iain Banks series of novels, in Stellaris but I'm running into a couple of hurdles. To summarize, the Culture is primarily known for a few things:

Post-scarcity communist anarchism. Culture society has few if any laws, no need for currency, and as much freedom and equality as they can manage. Life is basically idyllic for most.
Great reliance on machines to manage their society. From unintelligent machines to sentient AI drones (who count as full citizens of the Culture) all the way to incredibly potent Minds that keep things running.
A disdain for living on planetary surfaces, preferring instead to live on orbital habitats and ships and such. After all, why mess around with undesirable ecosystems or destructive terraforming when you can just build tailor-made environments in space?

My first thought was to make a Rogue Servitor empire with the Void Dwellers origin, but quickly discovered that Machine Intelligences were not allowed to go that route. It also locks you out of certain ascension perks that would fit the Culture well but require normal, non-Gestalt ethics. Thus my dilemma. How to make something that at least resembles the Culture?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 04:37:54 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9242 on: March 15, 2022, 05:01:59 pm »

It's your game, you could mod the conditions for void dweller and the ascension perks to allow for the machine intelligence.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9243 on: March 15, 2022, 06:05:09 pm »

An alternative would be an egalitarian void-borne start, Utopian Abundance of course, and cheat yourself the techs for synth robots.  That way everyone (robots and organics) are citizens instead of the robots being a gestalt consciousness.  I haven't read the series but it might be closer than Rogue Servitors (though people always compare RS to Culture).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9244 on: March 15, 2022, 07:31:23 pm »

I would say RS is the closest thing in Stellaris, but you'd sort of have to start at a relatively early point in their history so to speak.

Presumably the Culture started on a planet, or an already existing space station, then expanded from there. While it's not efficient in Stellaris, you could start on a planet, then move everyone to space stations once you can start building them, leaving the homeworld behind as a memento of sorts.

Or mod it so Gestalts can start as void dwellers, it's honestly a bit odd to me that they can't.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9245 on: March 16, 2022, 07:43:10 am »

The biggest problem I see with doing rogue servitor is you'll never get organic leaders scientists/generals etc. Culture series always had human protags which filled roles as leaders of some sort even if the minds really handled everything in the background.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9246 on: March 16, 2022, 08:58:53 am »

Well sure, a true emulation of the Culture would be impossible outside of loads of mods (slash moving to another game entirely). Same with trying to create the Imperium of Man. I just wanted to get the general feel right, and a civilization type where AI runs everything and the squishy organics live in relative paradise with no major leaders is almost tailor made for such a thing.

I might have to do as Rolan suggested and start with a xenophile/materialist/egalitarian normal society and just rush (or cheat) for synths as early as possible.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9247 on: March 17, 2022, 03:46:34 pm »

Next DLC was announced. Stellaris: Overlord not much info yet outside what's immediately obvious from the name; it'll have to do with vassals and subjugation.

I do like playing as a vassaling nation in stellaris so I'm sorta interested to see what comes out, but I'm a bit unsure because interactions with weaker nations in in stellaris is pretty uninteresting because the game doesn't have and fundamentally doesn't support anything like having catch up mechanics or even really working together much so most of the time weaker nations have no purpose and are pretty much irrelevant as anything but an income source. And I'm not sure how you can make interacting with them interesting without some fundamental shifts to how stellaris works.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9248 on: March 17, 2022, 04:42:48 pm »

Spawn more overlords
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9249 on: March 17, 2022, 05:12:53 pm »

When using the "More Event Mod" in your playset, note that there's an event called the "Vazuran Menace" that has 5% of chance of happening.

It's a Crisis-like event with enemy fleets assaulting regularly a system from either you or AI empires with fleets that will behave like a pirate fleet (excepted that they always have fleets stronger than yours) and destroy the stations located in the system, then unlike a pirate fleet they will teleport back to their home after completing their destruction (can also bomb for a certain % of devastation the planet located in that system)

Unlike a Crisis, this one will happen from the beginning of the game and those raids will last until a special assault on your capital system that will allow you to get a way to reach their homeworld located in another dimension (well in term of Stellaris it's a system that is located outside of the galaxy map and will only be reachable at some point of the event progress) and put an end to this by destroying the very powerfull threat waiting there (and getting the nice loot) .

Now that's all good and etc but there's a gimmick to the Vazuran fleets that i unfortunately had to learn while doing as even when i managed to get similar fire power to their powerfull homeworld defense fleet, i got destroyed easily.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9250 on: March 17, 2022, 09:38:47 pm »

I got the vazuran event once but never made it anywhere near that far. I had also been under the assumption that the attacks preempted a galactic crisis type event

Can mods add endgame crises?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9251 on: March 17, 2022, 10:25:47 pm »

I haven't seen one add a crisis that if it happened it replaced one of the 3 base game crises.  Though plenty adding more that fire early like Great Khan will or ones that fire after the base game crisis.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9252 on: March 18, 2022, 06:47:30 am »

After dealing with the Vazuran, i finally got the crisis to happen, that's the first time i get the Contingency, and so far the thing has been truly merciless with half of the galaxy falling really fast (as this time there was no fallen empire to kick the crisis sorry bottom and AI with not megafleets seems to be unable to even create a defense) .

After an initial hammering, i have finally been able to stop their progression into my space, my battleships fleets are still holding the half of my empire with my losses being replaced fast enough but it seems to be a question of time i'll be the last organic thing in the universe, hopefully i can hold until the end of the game, while the other AI empires end being completely wiped out.

In the same time with my fanatic xenophobe empire , it's not like they were friendly to me, but funnily once the Contigency started to destroy them , they all opened their borders with me "please save us oh mighty evil xenophobic empire" :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 06:49:35 am by Robsoie »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9253 on: March 18, 2022, 09:10:49 pm »

Next DLC was announced. Stellaris: Overlord not much info yet outside what's immediately obvious from the name; it'll have to do with vassals and subjugation.

I do like playing as a vassaling nation in stellaris so I'm sorta interested to see what comes out, but I'm a bit unsure because interactions with weaker nations in in stellaris is pretty uninteresting because the game doesn't have and fundamentally doesn't support anything like having catch up mechanics or even really working together much so most of the time weaker nations have no purpose and are pretty much irrelevant as anything but an income source. And I'm not sure how you can make interacting with them interesting without some fundamental shifts to how stellaris works.

My first reaction was, "More external diplomacy despite people asking for internal diplomacy since the game was released?  Lol, okay."  I did see some people who suggested that there may be some internal diplomacy focus in the free patch, and it's too early to really know much, but I'm hoping for something like that.

I'm sure I'll end up getting the DLC regardless, but this doesn't seem to offer a lot to me as someone who likes to primarily play isolationists.  If it gives stuff to others though, more power to them.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9254 on: March 20, 2022, 06:26:59 pm »

They've explicitly announced some internal diplomacy stuff 10 days ago, with situations.
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 632