Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658998 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #9315 on: October 20, 2022, 07:11:43 pm »

(continued)
Certain techs would interact with this interestingly.  Clone soldiers would allow my current empire type with no soldier class, only short-lived Republic Commandos.  I would make the xenomorph tech an atrocity, like a lower-tech Colossus option, where it wipes out the planet's population... though it spawns many low-morale defense armies based on the planet's civilian population.

If I'm at the lathe of heaven, that could even include a chain like the Synth Rebellion which could potentially lead to a new empire with the clone-soldier civic from Humanoids pack.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9316 on: October 20, 2022, 08:43:29 pm »

As a sidenote, I never build barracks/strongholds.  I get all my naval capacity from anchorages.

This is just a small part of your post, but for a while I've been building fortress habitats in my chokepoint systems as almost impossible to dislodge speed bumps, and this made me suddenly question if what I was doing made sense.

The speed bump part is logical I think.  By the end game these habitats can have over 5K defense army strength pretty easily.

But... soldiers don't give a ton of naval cap.  Usually I end up with 4-5 of these stations and I think they end up contributing something like 200-300 naval cap total, which I suddenly realize is probably not worth it for the number of pops it requires.  Those pops would be much more efficient in labs or foundries, much like how a lot of people just turn off clerk jobs entirely.  The current crappy pop growth system makes this very attractive late game since you really want useful pops when it takes a planet over 10 years to grow a new one.

I've never disabled clerks because it felt like an exploit, but now I'm wondering about that again too...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9317 on: October 20, 2022, 09:34:08 pm »

Again:  Anchorages, naval capacity from starbases, should be removed entirely.
I say that when it's my primary/only source of naval cap.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9318 on: October 21, 2022, 05:49:36 am »

I understood the importance of "soldier spawning" buildings the day i was trying to take over a planet from an AI that for some reason had built -only- barracks in all its building slots.
The giant amount of soldier defense it had forced me to build an insane amount of transport ships, took me way too long waiting time to get my transport fleet on par with the defense soldier power.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9319 on: October 21, 2022, 06:26:08 am »

The barrack spam method only really works for chokepoints. Fill it with strongholds, build a shield generator, if you've got anything else to minimise bombardment damage then that helps. By the time they're invading it ten years have passed.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9320 on: October 21, 2022, 06:27:57 am »

The barrack spam method only really works for chokepoints. Fill it with strongholds, build a shield generator, if you've got anything else to minimise bombardment damage then that helps. By the time they're invading it ten years have passed.
From what Space Scifi game franchise have I heard this before, hmmmmm?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9321 on: October 21, 2022, 08:57:39 am »

Again:  Anchorages, naval capacity from starbases, should be removed entirely.
I say that when it's my primary/only source of naval cap.

I think I can get behind this.  I'd rather see soldiers give way more naval cap and that be the source of it, even if anchorages make some sense on a logical level.  Maybe you should need some minimum number of anchorages too... but that's getting messy.

Really, I think it highlights a problem with how space constructions give free resources without needing pops to work them.  That strongly incentivizes you to use space constructions for things wherever possible since pops are a rare resource.  I don't think Stellaris could really be changed to support pops in mining stations or starbases, but Stellaris 2 maybe should consider it if they ever make one.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9322 on: October 22, 2022, 03:32:44 pm »

Years after release and crisis are still super annoying to fight, because they're at total war with you but you aren't at total war with them, so sectors revert to unowned instead of going back to the original owner. Border gore ensues, depending on whom has influence at hand, and of curse ai are stuck at - 1000 won't trade planet.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9323 on: October 22, 2022, 05:14:29 pm »

It'd be nice if the AI was willing to buy/sell systems to un-bordergore. If they've got a single system at a chokepoint? Never sell it, it's a chokepoint. They jumped past you and claimed a single system with two energy before being cut off? Sell that.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9324 on: October 22, 2022, 08:10:00 pm »

I wish it was possible to trade systems with the AI too, but I gather they disabled it a long time ago to fix some exploits.  I guess they couldn't find a way to make AIs value systems properly, which I have to admit is pretty tough.  A human can pretty readily determine if they want or don't want a system, but what would actually be a good trade value for one?  Just evaluating the resources isn't really enough when you have to factor in things like whether the system makes you accessible to other empires you may or may not want to be next to.

It's not an impossible system but I'm sure it would lead to more exploits.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9325 on: October 23, 2022, 03:15:27 am »

there was someone looking for variations in ground combat, this seem a good way to have it done without changing the foundamental aspects of stellaris https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2821014992&searchtext=

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9326 on: October 30, 2022, 11:47:01 pm »

My game turned around once everybody reached the tech cap. Joined a federation and conquered our way across the galaxy and through all three endgame crisis. I gotta say, i dont like the contingency just for how long it takes to destroy their planets. They were the most difficult to take down, as well. Ended up being the largest and most powerful empire in the galaxy, and our federation, and newly conquered subjects, now control 100% of the galaxy. I turned off victory conditions, not sure what ill do next. Maybe try to conquer the entire federation and own everything myself.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9327 on: November 07, 2022, 04:07:06 pm »

Right now I'm playing through the 'Here Be Dragons' origin just for fun.  However, I have been preparing my Dwarves for the 3.6 update, and this is the build I have put together.  I am using the mod Ethics & Civics Classic, which grants 4 & 3 points respectively (the AIs also get this point allotment)

Origin - Cave Dweller: Minerals from jobs +15%, Empire size from pops +10%, Biological pop growth -20% (oof)

Natural Story Tellers: Unity +20%
Creative Spark: Research from jobs +5%
Communal: Pop housing use -10%
Melancholy: Happiness -5%
Wasteful: Consumer goods upkeep +10%

Militarist (claims, rivalries, fire rate), Materialist (robot upkeep, physics & engineering), Fanatic Industrialist (minerals, energy, districts, -habitability) ; Masterful Crafters (goods into trade & engineering), Military Industry (ton of bonuses at the cost of upkeep), Imperialism (bonuses to claims and vassals at the cost of border friction).

I could swap out Communal & Creative Spark for Rapid Breeders to help offset the growth penalty, but I feel this setup fits the theme near-perfectly.  First ascensions will likely be Expansion - Interstellar Dominion and Supremacy - Shared Destiny.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9328 on: January 05, 2023, 01:07:48 pm »

I tend to approach games like this as a story to be told rather than a game to minmax, and that's probably why my favorite part of Dwarf Fortress was tweaking the world generator...

I've made what I feel is a pretty good batch of empires with nice themes to follow for some moderate RP.  16 so far, the Dragon Empire, the empire of golems that are basically Gun Jack, the lusty Horse people and their servile Oxen, Morganites and Yang, and the Space Mermen Elves....

This last one, the space not-elves, are so far my favorite to play.  They - accidentally on my part, play perfectly into a rapid expansion that rolls fairly well into a reasonably balanced jack-of-all-trades.  With about 21 or so empires spawning on a large map, you bump into another empire sooner or later, and the large trade income they start with is good for spamming science vessels and Rexxing right into them.  Whether the AI settles their second planet is luck dependent, sometimes they start as an advanced ai and your job is much harder, but the general idea is to snipe their homeworld, clean up the mess, and then consolidate and repeat.  They're aquatic anglers with xenophobe, spiritual, and egalitarian.

I've been thinking about the conflict poised by it, and I think Elves represent a pretty good candidate for what xenophobic egalitarianism looks like.  Trying to RP has been rough, and I've been thinking about how advanced technology would complicate it even further, but it comes down to agenda.  We're protecting nature, not life.  We open our hearts to all life, but we don't trust all sapience to uphold the tenets.  I actually think the devs did a reasonable job of trying to include a flexible system of governance, that still allows people to largely disregard it if they wanted to.

I still havent completed a game, once it loses its 'spark' I tend to restart.  In my last game I took out an empire, paid the marauders to help me push through a chokepoint into another civ and spun off their capital as a vassal, and was just dowed by a third as I was getting home.  I'm just responding to the aggression they showed me.  Fun so far.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9329 on: January 05, 2023, 03:45:18 pm »

Some day I should try creating enough empires that I can force spawn so that I get galaxies made up of empires of my design.  I gather that a lot of players do this, and it's a cool idea.  Right now I only have 3 set up that way, but I usually play on less crowded maps of about 10 empires so I wouldn't have to make too many.
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 632