Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fighting lagmoster...  (Read 2265 times)

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fighting lagmoster...
« on: December 07, 2007, 04:57:00 pm »

Hello people!

Ok, my fortress needs a running brook, or else injured dwarves will die. And I need magma, especially to fill caravans with glass trinkets. But lag is atrocious. Any ways to fight lag?

Will damming the river help? Perhaps I could dig out all the ice during winter and put a stone wall with a floodgate!

Will plugging the magma caldera help? I could channel water from the river with a pump.

Will making fewer objects help? I got 100+ spare +green glass goblet+, do you think that having many objects around is laggy? Thanks!

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting lagmoster...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 05:07:00 pm »

If weather is on, turn it off. Weather actually eats up a ton of CPU. Second to that is temp.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 06:17:00 pm »

Turning off weather and temp helps, but i've been told maps with magma lag terribly even with both off. Myself I don't play on maps with magma so I couldn't tell you.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 12:11:00 pm »

you could close down non-essential applications like Itunes Etc.
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »

Magma doesn't cause too much lag. Flowing water, on the other hand, does. Badly.

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 12:26:00 pm »

This game has deceptively high settings.  How do I turn on FPS Count again?

Gelmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dullard:
<STRONG>Magma doesn't cause too much lag. Flowing water, on the other hand, does. Badly.</STRONG>

Wasn't that the "lag caused by creatures wandering through liquids" that was fixed back in .33b?

Anyhow, make sure you're using the latest version. Also, how big is your map? Going for both a river and magma might've meant you had to make your map too large, resulting in lag. Neither of the methods you mentioned should really affect the lag all that much, liquid flows don't lag nearly as much as they used to. You've probably got too many creatures and items, though, if you've got significant amounts of injured dwarves and hundreds upon hundreds of craft items. Turning off weather and temperature would help, probably especially with all those liquids.

Anyway, you don't NEED flowing water or magma. A lake is good enough, though if you have weather turned off you might run out of water and if you have temperature turned on it might freeze during the winter (which means no water unless you drain it into subterranean areas, which are warmer and won't freeze). If you get a sedimentary layer, coal and lignite (which can be turned into coke) are beyond plentiful so you shouldn't need to worry about running your furnaces, and you really shouldn't need that much glass anyway.

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 06:39:00 pm »

Ok, thanks!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 06:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gelmax:
<STRONG> If you get a sedimentary layer, coal and lignite (which can be turned into coke) are beyond plentiful so you shouldn't need to worry about running your furnaces, and you really shouldn't need that much glass anyway.</STRONG>

Yeah but the thing about permanent fortresses is that you're going to need magma EVENTUALLY, no matter your coal or lignite stocks, which with my massive amounts of furnace-using would run out in mere years if I did not have magma.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 07:39:00 pm »

I know you already have a fort, but next time, build a 3x3 fort. It helps speed quite a bit, and in my opinion, feels more...homely to have a small fort. Or something. Plus, on evil maps, less creatures fit at one time on the map, possibly helping hunters.

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 07:56:00 pm »

Turning off weather has little, possibly even no effect on frame rate.  It's temperature that has a decent effect.  So if you like the rain effect, you can have that on without working about slowing things down.  Higher populations of dwarves/creatures has a bigger impact on frame rate than temperature does, though.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 07:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Markham:
<STRONG>Turning off weather has little, possibly even no effect on frame rate.  It's temperature that has a decent effect.</STRONG>

It actually depends on the map.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 08:38:00 pm »

I didn't check with the current version, but it was the end of the brook who was lagging the game for me. For a reason unknown to me, the whole brook is made of solid 7/7 units of water but it falls down at the edge of the map the brook is running toward.

Solid 7/7 units of liquid don't lag the game much... Continuously changing units does.

You could try building a dam on that side to see if it has an effect if you have the same thing.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 09:25:00 pm »

Brooks, populated or unpopulated, have always caused a significant 10-20 fps drop on my computer. My best advice is to start on a map in which the existing pools don't immediately evaportate, and built roofs over as many of the pools as possible to make sure that they don't evaporate.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 10:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Goatse:
<STRONG>Ok, my fortress needs a running brook, or else injured dwarves will die. And I need magma, especially to fill caravans with glass trinkets. But lag is atrocious. Any ways to fight lag?
</STRONG>Yes.  But most involve compromises.  The wiki may help.

quote:
<STRONG>Will damming the river help? Perhaps I could dig out all the ice during winter and put a stone wall with a floodgate!

Will plugging the magma caldera help? I could channel water from the river with a pump.

</STRONG>You're on the right track here; flowing liquids are indeed a big cause of lag and chew up much more framerate than stagnant pools.  Depending on your map, this might involve some serious engineering work though...

quote:
<STRONG>Will making fewer objects help? I got 100+ spare +green glass goblet+, do you think that having many objects around is laggy? Thanks!</STRONG>
As far as I've been able to tell, any (reasonable) number of objects has no effect on lag in general.  Enough objects does slow down certain search and list stuff, but this is not important for any but a gigantic fort.  Heck, you'll probably have 10,000 rocks lying around if you play long enough, so feel free to go nuts with the goblets!   :D
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.
Pages: [1] 2