Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: We're Dwarves Manly...? Dwarves, Bah!  (Read 1473 times)

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We're Dwarves Manly...? Dwarves, Bah!
« on: August 17, 2007, 11:17:00 am »

Okay, I decided to start a fortress in a much harsher environment then I am usually in for a bit more of a challenge. I am into winter(with ample supplies) and it was slightly disapointing. The ability to put up farms really quickly solved any food problems I would be having and bringing along lots of supplies gave me quite a few barrels since my stockpiles are not allowed to have barrels with the exception of the alcohol of course. I look foreward to my second and third migrations so I can have a few more Dwarves to move things around the Fortress and perhaps finnally get myself a small military.

Since I started running out of things for my dwarves to do I decided that I might as well start up the minning operations since I ran into coal even before the chasm. Hopefully I can find some Iron soon and I can get the magma forge and smelter up and running quickly. I was not planning on rushing for them, but, it will be decently easy to get them up and running with the newest migration of dwarves. So, why the hell not.

I guess the best thing about getting the metalsmithing up and running is that I can start creating armor for those migrant peasants to wear when I draft the buggers. Also, would be nice to get some trappers so I can draft them and then manually use them for hunting, after some target practice of course. Anyone have any suggestions for a military since my previous fortresses I was playing around with optimising things and had the dwarf cap at 30?

I have openned up a huge area for an underground forest and for my farming operations. It will be nice to have those trees up and running so I can make better use of barrels and bins. Most importantly it will be oh so nice to get my dwarves in some beds. I have eleven pieces of wood left and I am saving them for things that I really need done, like one peice of charcoal. My only real worry is the chasm dwellers since my Food operations will be almost totally exposed to their rampages. I will probrably put weapon traps lineing the six tile wide hallway towards the food and I hope that will be enough. I can also hope that when I get my bridges up and running(and made to prevent dwarves from killing themselves on the bridge) that my military can patrol the area well enough to prevent too many grower deaths.. hehe.

All in all this looks to be a bit more interesting then my previous fortresses since I de-capped the migration and will have to deal with hundreds of dwarves grumbling about lack of bedding and such. I plan on making the dwarves have communal rooms except for the legendary ones of course. Since it is not right for dwarves to have there own rooms dammit. Not sure exactly how to do this yet, but, I will fiqure something out(I have always had solo rooms before this).

Anyways, enough for now. I might make updates on this whenever, but, I doubt it will be too interesting since this was like the only non-vegitation map in my world and it was only Wilderness.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We're Dwarves Manly...? Dwarves, Bah!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

Just make a barracks. Anyone without a room will sleep there.

Why not try a glacial map?

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 02:57:00 pm »

I looked and looked and I did not actually have a glacial map. It was odd. Well, maybe it there was a glacial map, but, I think it was like the highest level of surroundings and I am not even that insane, heh.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »

Freezing/None/None/Terrifying/No contact with humans/dwarves/elves is the hardest possible glacial map.

If the alignment isn't evil (Sinister/Haunted/Terrifying) it might actually be more fun than another map because it doesn't have an outside river. I get about +50% FPS (and thus +50% game speed) on glacial maps at first.

EDIT: If you can't find a glacial map, generate a new world or use a premade world with a glacial map.

[ August 17, 2007: Message edited by: Savok ]

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »

I know I could generate another world or get a pre-generated one, but, then I would have to start over again and I enjoy this one.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 05:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Savok:
<STRONG>Freezing/None/None/Terrifying/No contact with humans/dwarves/elves is the hardest possible glacial map.
</STRONG>

I found my no-contact game easier, without the immigration your one farmer can handle all the food and then some and your starting dwarves reach legendary status so fast that you can branch out the skill tree very quickly. The None/None doesn't matter so with so few dwarves because you just don't need that much wood and the fact you only need on pick and no axe gives you so many points to play with you end up with three wagons and a pack of bloodthirsty dogs  :)

Admittedly I wasn't on a terrifying map (untamed wilds was the hardest I could find) but I'm not sure how much difference that would make.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 08:07:00 pm »

You might want to look at the world of nine glaciers found with the pregenerated worlds in the wiki. It has:
Freezing/None/None/Untamed Wilds/No trade
Freezing/None/None/Untamed Wilds
Freezing/None/None/Protected Wilds
Freezing/None/None/Calm
Freezing/None/None/Calm/No trade
Freezing/None/None/Haunted

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 11:29:00 pm »

I might check that out after I get tired of my current fortress. Which most likely will be after a few sieges or before if the amount of dwarves gets tedious.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 12:17:00 am »

quote:
t doesn't have an outside river. I get about +50% FPS (and thus +50% game speed) on glacial maps at first.

You are saying that games without an outside river speed up greatly? That must be why my last game seem to go way faster than usual, even with the Vsync trick.
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 09:26:00 am »

More specifically, with nothing outside moving except one sasquatch, it runs vastly faster than with shrubs + trees + river + lots of animals.