Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Criedpapers - A Community run Fortress  (Read 3331 times)

Ze_king

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Criedpapers - A Community run Fortress
« on: July 24, 2015, 01:07:35 pm »

Hello and Welcome to CriedPapers, a Fortress run by the Users of Bay12 forums, a race fond drink, industry and magma. criedPapers unlike other Fortress is not a succession fort. The Bay12 community instead will instead be put into positions of power where they will provide instruction to me, the Overseer.

Those who are unfortunate enough to also be sent on this expedition as a citizen will have to try to make things as good for them selves as possible, be it with debate, strike or any other means, ere the Officials get mandating .
Those in power must provide for their dwarves, be it with plow, hook or any other means, ere the citizens get angry.

The Objective of this is to see if a fortress can survive and prosper with beaucratical mess we call democracy with the added extra of having Dwarven intelligence and emotions into the mix.

People who are interested can sign up and they will become citizens. The citizens will be given details of their dwarf and they will have to roleplay (as little or as much as you like) their actions and reactions to the Fort's state and the actions done by the Officials.

The citizens have the chance to become Mayor through the yearly elections or another offical, which are chosen by the Mayor. These three Officials - Mayor, Architect and the Militia Captain (so far) - will have the power to change things to do with their department in the fortress, be it for better of worse.

However this does not leave the ordinary Citizen out, as they get to do almost any action to either help or hinder the government be it in the thread or in game.

Roleplay Mechanics/Schedule

There are a few mechanics for roleplaying in this game. They include
- Orders/Actions - which determine what you want me to do for the Fort (an Order - by an Offical) or for your character (an Action). It is preferable if you both post your Order/Action into the thread AND PM me as well.
- Time Scale: A week in RL will be one season in game, so each report will be for one season.
- Mayor Elections - Done every year. It determines who is the Mayor for the next year. It start after the winter report is released and voting starts the following Monday and ends at the end of Tuesday.
- Currently the Schedule is:
 - Monday - Thursday: Time for dilebration and debate
 - Friday: The final day for any Orders or Actions to be annouced
 - Sunday: Report is posted.

More detailed info is found here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152037.0

Fortress Roles
There are currently three roles in the fortress. However as it expands it may become larger

Mayor - The Mayor controls the entire fortress with almost absolute power. He will mainly be controlling things like industry, agriculture, and thing as he/she wishes.
Architect - Controls the detailed layout of the fortress (size, item placement) and basic layout (if the mayor does not). Requests equipment for rooms.
Militia Captain - Outlines the squad layout, uniform, schedule, requests equipment for fighting and training.

World Settings
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Starts: 27/7/15 (when I get home from Holiday)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:21:54 pm by Ze_king »

Ze_king

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Criedpapers - A Community run Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 01:08:07 pm »

Chapter List

Roleplayer List
Disclaimer - role preferences cannot be guaranteed, it down to the whim of the Mayor's embark choice

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 05:57:39 am by Ze_king »

Galena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 01:06:31 pm »

When you start this fortress, I want to be a male stonecrafter. Dwarf me as any of the starting seven. I think this is a pretty good idea! (Am I signing up right?)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:08:19 pm by Galena »
He listed off what sounded like a lot of painful-sounding procedures that needed to be done, then proceeded to immediately throw a party.

Ze_king

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 04:57:48 pm »

When you start this fortress, I want to be a male stonecrafter. Dwarf me as any of the starting seven. I think this is a pretty good idea! (Am I signing up right?)

You are indeed. I cannot garuntee it to be a male, but as one of the starting seven you will get your choice of profession or closest depending on the embark choice.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:24:11 pm by Ze_king »

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 11:25:42 pm »

PTW / tossing in my hope to be part of this. 

Starting 7, female preference, preference maxed on teacher/leader skills (to later train militia with.) 

Failing that being an option, option B I would opt for is weaponsmith, and option C is glassmaker.   
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Uristoteles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 05:31:09 am »

Sounds great, I'd like to sign up for a dwarf as well :)
No gender or orientation preference.
No actual profession preference, but I'm not keen on being a miner or militia.

I have one question too: how do you keep us informed regarding the base for our decisionmaking? Solely with your reports (that'd be an awful lot of dry writing and picture taking, woudn't it?), or can we download the fort at certain points (so we know about current resources, layout, relationships, thoughts etc.)?

Ze_king

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 06:33:11 am »

Sounds great, I'd like to sign up for a dwarf as well :)
No gender or orientation preference.
No actual profession preference, but I'm not keen on being a miner or militia.

I have one question too: how do you keep us informed regarding the base for our decisionmaking? Solely with your reports (that'd be an awful lot of dry writing and picture taking, woudn't it?), or can we download the fort at certain points (so we know about current resources, layout, relationships, thoughts etc.)?

So far it will only be reports/pictures. However to try to keep the reports interesting I will be doing them in the guise of the Overseer. I will try to include some funny stuff and make things that would normally be rather uninteresting, much more interesting through the writing.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 08:25:44 am »

Also wondering whether I can put my bid in for architect early on.  I'm paranoid about security.  >.>  <.<   

Also, even as a dwarf, I want to be able to well.. bathe.  (and my solution for this want is... expansive.) 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:36:43 am by Evaris »
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Ze_king

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 08:46:32 am »

Also wondering whether I can put my bid in for architect early on.  I'm paranoid about security.  >.>  <.<   

Also, even as a dwarf, I want to be able to well.. bathe.  (and my solution for this want is... expansive.)

Well it is all down to the mayor choice. You will have to give him/her a reason to give you the position. But dont worry, the mayor and the other Officials with it change every IG year.

Ze_king

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 08:48:50 am »

snip

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 09:05:59 am »

Dear Expedition leader (whom undoubtedly shall become mayor when taken to a vote, assuming a vampire does not migrate in and take the position),

I know we are only now beginning our journey to Criedpapers, however I was hoping perhaps we could begin some degree of initial planning for outpost layout.  I believe it would serve our cause best should we prepare for various potential environments.  I would also like to address long term considerations such as security, sustainability, and hygiene in the initial stages of fortress design, rather than require more makeshift solutions, even if the implementation for such will not be possible for such time, I believe having proper layout for such things would be of upmost importance.

To this end I have prepared a number of possible layouts of general design, with modifications available depending on local geology.  I hope you may be willing to take them into consideration, and that eventually I may perhaps be able to serve in a more official function to assist with the details.

Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Evaris

P.S. I would like to request we bring a number of female turkeys and one male for the sake of egg and poultry production, as well as a good amount of additional plump helmet spawn, for the sake of assured agricultural development.

--

Also, as an out-of-character question, (because IC letters are fun) how would an architect operate doing their thing with this particular game? 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:12:10 am by Evaris »

Ze_king

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 10:41:51 am »

Hello. I am the overseer for the future fortress of Criedpapers. Due to my stout Dwavern nature I was accepted into the Corps of Overseers in the year 243 by HDM King Stodir Boatpeaked of the Safe Paper.
Being part of the Corps of Overseers means that organise and manage expeditions and fortresses in the name of the King and those he trusts. I do this by enacting orders given to me by the leaders of the expedition within the actual fortress. I also provide them with information and issues within the fortress. This requires a very trusted Dwarf and only the King may choose who may join the Corp of Overseers.

However we must get down to business. The King and his closest advisers have expressed their desire to contain the Goblin threat and also protect our northern flank by controlling the Peninsula of the Grooved Hills. They have come up with 4 possible areas for our site and have given us the liberty of choosing one, however we must chose it soon otherwise The King will assign us one.
To aid use I have recruited a geographer and an artist who will also help us during our time at the Criedpapers.
Our geographer - an odd dwarf with few possessions apart from his huge collection of maps – has provided us with a few maps of both continent and the proposed areas.

Here is our continent, called The Land of Ruining which is part of The Plane of Cyclones.

Our first possible area for our Fortress is south west part of the continent. It is a large area of operations for both the Goblins and the Humans. Now the King things that we should try to block them in, to allow for the glorious expansion of our Dwarven civilisation! The area is rather dangerous because we are at war with the Goblins; however there are rumours of a Tower in the area and that the dead walk. But the Humans are prone to superstition and I believe the area is much safer than they think.
On the bright side, the area is quite hilly, has lots of trees and there are reports of lots of minerals, which could allow an iron or copper industry.

Our second option is a rather dangerous area. It is the sinister land of the Finger of Hogs. The land has not been scouted out very much, but it is believed that there is very little in the way of trees in the area. It is also very unlikely that we will get many caravans near the centre of the horrid area.
However by going with this choice we will not be bothered with Goblins trying to force us out. There is also likely to be lots of minerals for only us to exploit. The most important upside though, is that since the migrants will have trouble getting through it is more likely that we won’t get any of those useless, lazy Cheesemakers. They are the bane of any self sufficient society!

Our third option is in the South East part of the continent. It is mainly tundra and it has very few trees. We also have, Goblin, Elven and Human societies near us, meaning we will get lots of trade. There is also very little in the way of Goblin settlements, meaning that we should not be bothered with sieges too much.  Our prospectors have also found many, many minerals in the area. This will allow use to get rich very quickly if we can survive the horridly low temperature of Tundra

Here is our final choice. This one is in the far north. It is relatively safe currently; however there are growing fears of Goblin dominance north of the peninsula. This has persuaded the King to send an expedition to block the peninsula from the growing threat.
The area south of the peninsula is very mountainous and trees are sparse but to make up with that deficiency there are lots of stone and metal in the area.
Like the first site there are rumours of a necromancer raising the dead in the area. Human superstition........

However these are the four possible areas for our site. It is up to you to vote for your choice of area. Once decided it will be up to the mayor to designate the site of the fortress!

OOC stuff
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:47:20 am by Ze_king »

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 11:01:01 am »

My vote is option A. 

I see a river there (I think.).  I want to live by it.

I like rivers.  There are so many things you can use a river for, and soil is often deep enough nearby for worthwhile, expansive underground farming.  Forests provide ample fuel, food, and fuel stocks.  Also a variety of different kinds of booze to keep everyone happy.  The geology suggests worthwhile mining.  Presence of humans means regular and worthwhile trading, and the presence of goblins allows for us to put pressure on our enemies, as well as providing an additional source of resources long-term.

All in all, a good location for industry, nice scenery, and an opportunity to further our people's goals. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:27:40 am by Evaris »

Uristoteles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 08:15:02 am »

Urist stood contemplating before the possible destinations. Number two and three fell out of his interest pretty fast, he had chosen pioneering, not freezing to death or rotting alive from vile mists.
Option one and four he liked almost equally, with a slight tendency for the far north, but at this point he thought it not to be reason enough to dissent from the majority opinion of his six companions, most had spoken out for the south west.
With his beard curling a bit above his smile, he pointed at the first option, and felt good with that.

OOC:

Ze_king

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 10:43:59 am »

The south west it is. Our journey will not take us too long. We shall leave our home of Ballstandard and head south, down the Great road of Paddlestoke. Once we reach the southern bend, our journey will lie through the old Elven forest of Fordclash. The Geographer tells us that it is a treacherous path, not in nature but in its inhabitants, Goblins have long since push most of the Elves out. Once we leave the forest we have a small hike over some rocky terrain and finally after that arrive to the rolling hills of our area.

To do this we need an expedition leader, someone who can find a site, who can manage the Fortress and can make the big decisions to allow us to survive until proper democracy be implemented. Stand forward if you believe you can do this.

Our path

Pages: [1] 2 3