Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Criedpapers - A Community run Fortress  (Read 3330 times)

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
Re: Criedpapers - A Community run Fortress
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 11:01:55 am »

The south west it is. Our journey will not take us too long. We shall leave our home of Ballstandard and head south, down the Great road of Paddlestoke. Once we reach the southern bend, our journey will lie through the old Elven forest of Fordclash. The Geographer tells us that it is a treacherous path, not in nature but in its inhabitants, Goblins have long since push most of the Elves out. Once we leave the forest we have a small hike over some rocky terrain and finally after that arrive to the rolling hills of our area.

To do this we need an expedition leader, someone who can find a site, who can manage the Fortress and can make the big decisions to allow us to survive until proper democracy be implemented. Stand forward if you believe you can do this.

Our path

I volunteer, and offer my services of foreplanning, logistics, and analytical abilities.  (and possible insanity, obsession with blackberries, and love of agriculture in general.) 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Galena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 11:26:22 am »

I support the selection of Evaris to expedition leader, so long as he does not impede my work.
He listed off what sounded like a lot of painful-sounding procedures that needed to be done, then proceeded to immediately throw a party.

Uristoteles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 01:43:04 pm »

A while after the site had been chosen, everyone gathered around the map again. The Overseer had prepared informations concerning the path the pioneers would take and was briefing them about possible dangers and necessary detours.
When everything was said, a moment of silence ensued and Urist expected that the Overseer would now appoint one of them to expedition leader. Instead he asked if anyone wanted to volunteer for the position. Urists shoulders stiffened, he was confused, hadn't it been said that one would simply be chosen, without preliminaries?
No, in fact nothing of the sort had been said, and even if, it didn't matter now, Evaris had taken a step forward and was talking. Urist only catched her last sentence, which was more muttered to the group than to the Overseer, something about blackberries and love for agriculture. But that couldn't have been the important part, surely she had said something more sensible before that? That seemed to be the case; as he looked around, he saw four of his companions give slight nods of approval and then Galena spoke up and openly supported Evaris' claim.
The tension of uncertainty fell from him, "My moment has passed", Urist thought, silently chiding himself, "I'm too slow!"
But then he remembered that the first year was only for basic survival, the Overseer had just explained that. There would be little room for any actual decisions. "I can wait," he thought, "and besides, a dwarf should know how to serve before he leads, otherwise he's none better than the nobles with their silly demands. There will be other chances."
To his fellow dwarves he said: "Yes, Evaris is clearly aware of our fragile position in the first year and knows what to do about it, I too would follow her as expedition leader."

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 09:34:46 pm »

I am intrigued.  If the OP can actually maintain both Fortress and storytelling in this fashion, it should prove quite entertaining.

To: Expedition Leader

Upon hearing of this latest venture, I would like to offer my services as Chief Engineer.  All things mechanical and grand architecture shall fall under my knowledgeable beard.  Yours, Immortal McD

First available Dorf; I would like to have Mechanics, Architecture, and maybe Jewelery on the side.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 09:27:45 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Ze_king

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 10:14:02 am »

Sorry, was away in Cornwall with no computer access (which I thought I had). I just arrived back. I will have something up a little later

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 10:32:01 am »

Sorry, was away in Cornwall with no computer access (which I thought I had). I just arrived back. I will have something up a little later

Well, that stinks, and sounds good, I await the update on baited breath. 

Ze_king

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 06:25:59 am »

Well Evaris it is! Now as the Expedition Leader we will need you decide what supplies we will bring, what you want your fellow Dwarves to be trained in and finally, most important of all where exactly you want us to settle the Fortress. 

We haven't much time left, we will be heading off in two days, while we can buy supplies in the Dwarven settlements we pass, it isn't very unlikely that our fellows will be able to train there.

It is currently 29th Granite so our journey should not be hampered by terrible weather, we may however suffer some rain.

Anyway, we must focus on the supplies, we have little money left so we will have to chose the training and supplies carefully.

Currently we have.

An Anvil
40 barrels of Dwarven wine, beer and ale
5 Plump Helmet seeds
5 Pig Tail seeds
5 Sweet Pod seeds
5 Dimple Cup seeds
20 Plump Helmet
20 Pond Turtles
5 Cloth bags
An Assortment of rags and old cloth
An Assortment of wooden items such as splints and crutches.

We can sell some of these things and it will allows us to have more training or more of other things.

Finally while on the journey we must find a suitable spot to settle. While it is Expedition Leader Evaris's decision, it is recommended that everyone pitches in on this.

I shall leave you to do this, as I have to now go make the final preparations for future trade and other important things.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 09:56:17 am »

Evaris cheers for a bit, giddily happy at being made expedition leader, after settling down for a bit, she pulls a scroll out of her pack and hands it to the overseer.

I had hoped for this, and planned ahead a generalized overview of my thoughts on what we should do.

(also, if there are multiple female dwarves on embark, I'd like a chance to see what their personalities are to choose which one should be me.)

Oh, on a side note, what would everyone say to forbidding hunting in our fortress, and putting our efforts with the surrounding wilds instead to capturing and domesticating wildlife for the sake of profits? 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:03:40 am by Evaris »

Uristoteles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 05:44:46 am »

:o
That's a very good plan, I agree wholeheartedly. Moreover, I will gladly grow and ferment blackberries for you, once we've arrived.
I also agree on catching animals rather than outright killing them.

OOC:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 05:48:46 am by Uristoteles »

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 08:38:19 am »

:o
That's a very good plan, I agree wholeheartedly. Moreover, I will gladly grow and ferment blackberries for you, once we've arrived.
I also agree on catching animals rather than outright killing them.

OOC:

Uristoteles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2015, 07:05:22 pm »

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2015, 08:28:51 pm »

Ze_king

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 06:53:18 am »

Well here is the report for the first season in Criedpapers!
I will start off with supplies, training and journey.

Using our limited money I was able to get everyone into quite decent training. Urist Otels was able to learn the theory of diagnosing and other vital medical techniques off one of the travelling diagnosticians who was travelling in the same direction as us.
Galena operated at a masons workshop and a metalsmith’s workshop, giving him primitive but vital skills in masonry and furnace operating.
Immortal-D went straight to the construction of the new fortress defences and learnt skills in mechanics and building design.
Finally Evaris was able to go to the military school and was given valuable skills in leading and teaching
For our supplies I was able to gather everything that was requested, however the supplies of blackberries was all but gone so we had to settle for caper berries. And finally because of my excellent bartering I was able to hire some more skilled miners than was requested allowing for quick fortress construction.

The journey from the outpost of Ballstandard was largely uneventful, we headed down the Great Road and then with the aid of our geographer passed into the forest of Fordclashed – Goblin territory. Luckily we only ran into a lost Kobold who scampered at first sight. Finally during our small hike over rocky terrain we ran into a light snow storm which followed us to our site, a small valley with a stream running through it.

Almost immediately after arrival I put the plan into action. The two miners were sent to dig down to rock level. Not soon after they left us they came back. “The rock level mustn’t be too deep” I thought. However one of the miners had a rather confused face and said “We breached a cavern”.

Hastily I sent Galena off to cover the breach with whatever he could and relocated everything up the hill to the south, where there was a plateau.

I started over again, the miners dug deep to reach the rock layer, they started on an expeditionary line to check for the cavern, they found it but they also found gold! We’re going to be rich! Rich I tell you!

Anyway while that was going on I started on the workshops above ground and commenced the production of cheese and more drink.
Work started on the main area, above the failed expeditionary line, it seemed like it was going well for the most part until – near the end – a miner hit a wetstone. I myself went above ground and noticed that it must be a small pond above the main area.

So with the construction of the main area almost completed but stalled, I ordered the miners to move onto the farming area where it promptly turned to summer. Our first season is over, things are going slow and it seems like underground room is restricted.

So with these major problems what shall we do now?

OOC
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:57:19 am by Ze_king »

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 09:44:27 am »

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:46:14 am by Evaris »
Pages: 1 [2] 3