Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Are there GOOD Mobile games?  (Read 5472 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are there GOOD Mobile games?
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:28:33 pm »

So here is something... I was "Surprised" with a 170 dollar tablet that I absolutely do not want (once again... never EVER surprise me with expensive presents unless it is just cash... or it is a Nintendo 3ds)

So other then me not wanting it, me trying to get the people to return it so they can get their money back, and the constant fighting between people trying to get me to accept it and me absolutely positively not wanting it...

I mostly said that there was no reason for me to get a tablet... because there is nothing good on tablet.

I mean there are games on the tablet but they aren't like Gameboy games, or GBA games, or 3DS games, or PSP games, or VITA Games, or any handheld in that they are almost all incredibly cheap games that are poorly played and generally positively suck... and suck bad. They are Facebook games (AKA Social Games) or games that are already for the PC that run better on the PC...

So here is a question are there good mobile games that are for the mobile that are good and do not suck?

And no I shouldn't accept the Tablet... Honestly... Get your money back already! Might as well have bought me a hundred dollar brick.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Are there GOOD Mobile games?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:39:03 pm »

It's funny you should mention all those other handhelds when there's almost certainly emulators for whatever tablet you have. Can be somewhat difficult to play the more active games available to such, but pretty much anything turn based is pretty solid. All those ports you mention are also possibilities -- even if the PC plays 'em better, it's a lot harder to lug the PC on a road trip or somethin'. Mobility has its uses.

There's also a lot more than just games you can do on a tablet. Reading is a big one -- it's actually the major reason I don't really have anything to suggest beyond emulation, since I use the kindle I have to, well, read. And occasionally play ogre battle :V

... also, thread probably should be in OG, and maybe just a request for recommendations instead of what approaches flamebait? Might get better results from that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:41:42 pm »

Because because everyone on bay12 games has the hots for mobile games. They make out with them all night long and can't take anyone besmirching their name.

Ohh wait no... because the main consumers of mobile games generally aren't the major consumers of other kinds. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 09:45:45 pm »

Only mobile game I can think of is Pixel Dungeon, which is... well, it's a roguelike.

Also for PC

The thing is that handheld games weren't "Poor man's console games". >_< but Mobile games as a whole are that.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 09:51:02 pm »

The only mobile game I'd ever consider buying is the iOS version of Ace Attorney 5, so I've got nothing either.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 10:07:23 pm »

SPACECHEM!

Also, tablets are great for comics. 

I recommend PerfectViewer for the comic reader, and if you are interested in comics, here are some great ones:
- Transmetropolitan
- IDW Transformer Comics
- Walking Dead
- Cable and Deadpool
- The Sandman
- Y - The Last Man
- Invincible
- Batman - No Man's Land (A comic about batman after a massive earthquake devastates gotham).
- Freak Angels
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:14:01 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 10:17:14 pm »

It is a small tablet.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 10:22:46 pm »

king of dragon pass is on mobile

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 10:33:57 pm »

You know one thing before everyone throws out a bunch of random recommendations is what tablet is it? (Android or ios[or fire OS bleh])

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 10:48:11 pm »

Loads.  Off the top of my head:

Mobile first:
Lyne - logic and geometry, really fun
Threes - strategy puzzle game. Don't get the knockoffs, they're not as good.
Mountain Valley - relaxing adventure and geometry puzzler
Buddy and Me - the only running platformer that is genuinely fun to play, it's completely goofy

Ports:
King of Dragon Pass - classic RPG/tribal sim game, works surprisingly well on a touchscreen
Knights of the Old Republic - haven't played it on mobile but it's a classic PC game
Terraria is on mobile, reports are that it works pretty well
The Last Express - a classic adventure game
ScummVM - emulator for all kinds of adventure games, works very well and is worth trying out
GBA and DS emulators - especially good with a phone that has a physical keyboard, but also work well with tablets.  I've played Link to the Past and various Pokemon games.
Shadowrun Returns games - well-reviewed RPGs, haven't played but there are ports on the Play Store
Thomas Was Alone - well-reviewed indie game

There's loads of rec lists, just search for them.  You will have to pay for games - just like with PC games if it's free or super cheap there's probably a reason - but the prices are a lot lower than PC or console games.

Keep an eye on mobile Humble Bundles and pick them up if any look good.  Most mobile games are easy to evaluate and HBs are cheap.

eBooks are also really nice.  I prefer eInk readers to phones/tablets because the eInk screens are a lot easier to read on, but ebooks work well on tablets also.  PDFs are especially good on tablets. FBReader is my favorite ereader program, CoolReader is also pretty good.  I buy lots of books from Baen http://www.baenebooks.com/ (Sci-fi / Fantasy and DRM-free so I don't need a specific app) and use Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/ to manage my ebook library.  Project Gutenberg has tons of free public domain books, including classic sci-fi like Andre Norton, classic literary works, etc.

Caveat: Just like with desktops, a crappy tablet won't run games well.  If the tablet's MSRP is $170 brace yourself for a bad time.  If it was refurbed or on sale, you probably have a better chance for a decent experience.

Can you tone down the flamebait a bit?  Just because you don't like a particular form factor doesn't mean it's not great for other people.   Try stuff out before judging.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:55:43 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 10:48:42 pm »

Because because everyone on bay12 games has the hots for mobile games. They make out with them all night long and can't take anyone besmirching their name.

Ohh wait no... because the main consumers of mobile games generally aren't the major consumers of other kinds. :P

Actually, heavy gamers are also likely to game on their phones.
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 10:49:22 pm »

You know one thing before everyone throws out a bunch of random recommendations is what tablet is it? (Android or ios[or fire OS bleh])

If it's $170 it's not iOS.  Most Android programs also work on Amazon's Fire tablets.
To summarize:

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 10:58:12 pm »

War for Eustrath and Song Summoner are pretty decent tactics strategy RPGs. Ones an SRW clone in a fantasy mecha setting, while the other is a Squeenix game where you generate characters using the songs stored on your device.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:01:28 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 02:37:15 am »

Beyond emulation and ports, mobile games are mostly just casual games. If you didn't like those or aren't willing to give one a try, then you're mostly out of luck (again, besides emulation and ports).

Despite what people say about touch controls, I really like the Android ports of Sonic 2 and Sonic CD. They play very well and run smoothly on my ancient Android 2.x phone.

There's Hearthstone, if you're in to card games. That's mostly what I used my tablet for before I got my own PC.

If I had time to seriously tinker, I'd find a way to stream Dwarf Fortress from a home computer to the tablet's screen and control it from there, similar to how OnLive worked.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: [1] 2 3