Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mined Out Cast Obsidian Leaves Sand Floors  (Read 1475 times)

natemiddleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mined Out Cast Obsidian Leaves Sand Floors
« on: July 25, 2015, 03:28:14 am »

I know the game was changed so that veins leave the base layer as the floor when mined out, a change which I fully support. The problem I have is with cast obsidian. I recently started a game to make my biggest project yet, a cast obsidian tower, when I found out that any tile mined away or constructed on would not leave an obsidian floor. This has basically ruined the project for me and I strongly feel that this needs to be changed.

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mined Out Cast Obsidian Leaves Sand Floors
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 03:31:13 pm »

Would channeling away the layer below and casting it resolve this?

I'm behind the mined out obsidian returning to its original state, personally.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 07:13:53 pm »

Would channeling away the layer below and casting it resolve this?

I'm behind the mined out obsidian returning to its original state, personally.
He's building a tower. The layer below would already be cast obsidian, with the original state being sky.

I don't support the original change, either. Makes it near impossible to get natural ore floors. Hope it's just a bug. Otherwise Toady can nerf ore floor value if "you can't have your cake and eat it" is the intention.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:21:34 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 09:41:12 pm »

Ore floors aren't really realistic, because what self-respecting miner would leave valuable bits of iron in the floor for "aesthetics"? Now the cast-obsidian sort of makes sense to leave obsidian floors, but at the same time I can't help but wonder if the current sand-floors wouldn't be good for making "Farmscrapers", which is something I've been wanting in the game since I found out you can't farm on top of constructed clay floors.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:45:52 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 01:34:25 am »

Ore floors aren't really realistic, because what self-respecting miner would leave valuable bits of iron in the floor for "aesthetics"?
Because it's not worth compromising the structural integrity of the floor over the amount of ore remaining. It's also not worth digging out if you were planning to use it for that purpose in the first place. It's possible for us to leave unmined ores in the walls for purposes of smoothing and engraving, yet this is no longer true of floors.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 03:01:31 am »

I understand this for gems or highly valuable ores, but it is weird in large three-dimensional clusters (think microcline, orthoclase). I even run 3dveins script to have proper veins, yet somehow I get diorite floors even in huge multi-z orthoclase deposits. The change wasn't properly thought through and the game logic is pretty much two-dimensional here, a check with the tile below could solve a lot. (Another side effect is probably the massive cavern stonification you can observe in longterm forts using caverns, although few ppl seem to play long enough to notice.)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 08:05:40 am »

I understand this for gems or highly valuable ores, but it is weird in large three-dimensional clusters (think microcline, orthoclase). I even run 3dveins script to have proper veins, yet somehow I get diorite floors even in huge multi-z orthoclase deposits. The change wasn't properly thought through and the game logic is pretty much two-dimensional here, a check with the tile below could solve a lot. (Another side effect is probably the massive cavern stonification you can observe in longterm forts using caverns, although few ppl seem to play long enough to notice.)
This, too. (What stonification? Is it something caused be tree growth?)

There's some oddity as to how much matter a floor tile even contains. A constructed floor and constructed wall (including an implicit floor above) both use the same amount of material. Until that gets sorted out, the amount of ore a floor would even have is somewhat vague. If they're made to take less material than walls, then arguably floors would all be made worth less and the issue solves itself.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:14:11 am by Bumber »