Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Empyrion: Galactic Survival  (Read 29215 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empyrion: Galactic Survival
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 10:42:32 am »

It's only in early alpha anyways, according to the store page. Maybe there'll be a linux version at some point. (Assuming there isn't already)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 12:02:10 pm »

From what I read they plan to release it to a bunch of platforms, including Linux, but I don't think it has a linux version yet. And I have no idea about WINE.  ::)

What worries me the most at the moment is how there's no build mode. Are people really building intergalactic carriers block by block? I never understand why people don't make a priority to make their core features easier for the player.
Other than that, there are strong FPS drops on places with too much light. Some people reported crossfire/sli problems too, but I don't have that.
These things don't turn me down, though..except that I will avoid removing too many blocks/building big stuff (as I always, usually, avoid).

I restarted my game because I managed to use all my silicon and couldn't find any by foot. I actually really like how you're pretty screwed if you only travel by foot: you can only sprint for 1~2km, Stamina takes a while to recover and probably consumes more oxygen/hunger, and you can't jetpack your way to orbit or something. Galactic Survival alright.
I can bet a lot of people got mad at that, though. That's why you can respawn in 3 different places (a Health Station, somewhere nearby the place you died, and somewhere else I can't remember).

I changed my strategy on this second time, which was to live off raw meat and fruits and make a Ground Vehicle, scout around/gather resources and only then build a base. Raw meat causes food poisoning, though, and I didn't know that was in. It was..interesting. Good thing I had medikits.
I got to make the Ground Vehicle, and had the time to hover around a bit. It's pretty fun, unless you go investigate whatever buildings you see in the distance and they start throwing all sorts of colored plasma at you. GV is mobile enough to dodge and run away, though. And I put all the basic survival stuff on it, so I'm 100% mobile and 100% food poisoned most of the time  :P

Oh..and as I typed this, they released a small patch.

EDIT: Correction: Even though there's no "Free Camera build mode" (as in StarMade), if you hold Left-Click and drag, you can place multiple blocks. Really quick and easy.
Holding Control while holding left-click will make it do something weird. I think it does 2 dimensions or something, but somehow it 'bugs out' and brings blocks to my face, so I can barely see what it actually does.
This is a great find, though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:54:03 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 12:12:04 pm »

PTW
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 12:32:22 pm »

Oh, I forgot to mention something I don't remember seeing in any other sandbox/survival game.

Let's say you..hypothetically find a crashed ship. Half of the ship is buried on the ground.
You'd expect (or at least, I would), that the crashed ship was a special prop or something, that it isn't salvageable, and that there's nothing beneath the rock/sand/whatever material it's buried in.
But you have a drill and a block remover ("salvager") and decide do try your luck.. and you notice that you can dig the crashed ship out of the ground.

My reaction to that discovery.

Maybe I haven't been playing many modern games lately, but oh well. Apologies for my kid-like reactions. Space sandbox games are the only type of games that I really look forward to, nowadays..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 06:25:13 pm »

Oh, I forgot to mention something I don't remember seeing in any other sandbox/survival game.

Let's say you..hypothetically find a crashed ship. Half of the ship is buried on the ground.
You'd expect (or at least, I would), that the crashed ship was a special prop or something, that it isn't salvageable, and that there's nothing beneath the rock/sand/whatever material it's buried in.
But you have a drill and a block remover ("salvager") and decide do try your luck.. and you notice that you can dig the crashed ship out of the ground.

My reaction to that discovery.

Maybe I haven't been playing many modern games lately, but oh well. Apologies for my kid-like reactions. Space sandbox games are the only type of games that I really look forward to, nowadays..

And then lets imagine the disappointment someone might face when they discover that such a wreck may count as a base rather then a ship after they spent time trying to excavate and fix it.
:(

Still really fun game, and for 'pre-alpha' it is really polished. Really only two major noticable bugs after 4-5 hours of playing I noticed.
1: Dug really deep and fell through the world
2. Multiplayer buddy suddenly could not get out of SV passenger seat and kept spawning in the same place as the vehicle every time he died, or rejoined the game.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 08:28:31 pm »

Aw really? That's too bad, and weird!
I just looted it. Until they make removing blocks a non-issue, it'll just lay there.
I wonder if there's any trick to convert it into a ship, like SE has. It really needs one.

I've made my first small ship, and I think the flight is weird. It "feels" like you're underwater or something, the movement is rather laggy and the flight model feels a bit awkward.

Also, even though you can make spaceships' weapons ammo, they don't require it. They also appear not to group together, but if you fire a type of weapon, all weapons of that type fire together.
Without the ammo requirement though, my 2 gatling 2 rocket puny ship is ready to take over the universe.

Spoiler: Gratuitous Screenshot (click to show/hide)

And from what I read, there's a lot of varied multiplayer issues going on.
I didn't try to dig through the world, though, but damn I admire your effort! Did you go through the planet, or you fell "inside the core"?

In the end, even though I love this game, the UI issues/Removing blocks too slow/Crafting too slow and manual makes it pretty annoying to play.
I wouldn't recommend this for anyone less than a hardcore fan of the space/sandbox genres. Waiting for it will probably pay off, though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:30:40 pm by Gabeux »

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 09:48:21 pm »

After digging down for awhile, I looked up and saw part of the earth was just gone. Just blank space where you could see sky and objects on the surface. So thinking that maybe the graphics were just glitching I jumped on the space trying to get back up, and fell through it and into the 'world'. The 'world' in this case was falling from objects on the surface I could see into an endless skybox. Did not find anything while digging deep though, so I decided to refrain from it for now.

One of the few things bugging me is the lack of planning you really need for base/vehicle parts. One of the things I did like about SE was figuring out the internals of a ship and making sure everything worked correctly. This is more of a place anywhere on the design, it'll work just fine, and forget about it.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 11:40:45 pm »

So, deconstructing devices cargo boxes don't give back the components?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:42:31 pm by Sergius »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 01:08:28 am »

Hmm usually it does. But I don't know what happens, sometimes stuff doesn't give back the components, especially if you're salvaging from wrecks.

I finished the laziest possible Small Vessel. Let's just say I found..something..that got me all the Tier 2 weapons and some turrets. Gonna go test it and call it a night  :P

Spoiler: The Laziest Fighter (click to show/hide)

EDIT: There's not a whole lot of info about the weapons out there, so I tested the small ship's guns (and well, they work like that in all scales):
Gatling - Auto, fast-firing, great for eating through hull and blocks, but you need to level it with the cockpit, otherwise it will be very hard (almost impossible, in most cases) to aim. It's good for fighting against small targets at close range only.
Rocket - Auto, hardest to aim, high-damage and splash-damage. Great for sniping turrets, but terrible against small targets. It's the low-tech go-to weapon against bigger encounters, or for annoying the wildlife.
Plasma - Auto, a bit easier to aim than rockets, functions like a Tier 2 Rocket.
Pulse Laser - Semi-Auto, precise, probable: the weapon of choice in space due to projectile high-velocity and precision.
Rail Gun - Semi-Auto, precise, probable: lower-damage than other weapons, but with [probably planned] armor-piercing capabilities

I'm still testing it all. Low-Tech fights in-space doesn't seem to be a good idea. But my gatlings are not levelled, and that made it impossible to fight.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:25:43 am by Gabeux »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 10:13:39 pm »

By the way, as my closing note before I write a review on Steam, I pretty much explored 70% of the game. That means I didn't build a Capital Ship (no freaking way I'm gonna waste 20 hours on that on Survival), and I didn't explore the ice or the lava planet (because there are ways you can get personal/SV end-game stuff without mining the specific resources on those places).

The problem with the game is in space. The ground/planet-side gameplay is incredibly fun, despite all the minor flaws.
But from an actual game design, game development, and technical standpoint... The space flight / space combat / everything related to space part of the game is just terrible. 30-minutes-bugged-fight-against-a-stupid-AI-drone terrible. As an astrounaut, the mouse-sensitivity also breaks and makes it really bad to control your character.

Not that I think anyone is really watching this as closely, as hyped, or as interested as I was. So not sure why I'm posting this.
But fixing the space part of the game will be a huge challenge, I believe. The flight model is simply...distasteful...and when you fly near a Drone, your controls go crazy and unresponsive, your ship start turning in the opposite direction that you're actually turning, projectiles/cross-hairs/weapons are not made for space combat, and so on.
It feels like the game's getting the AI input and using it to guide your input.
Anyway, you get the picture - it's chaos and really bad.

Well, now I need to wait for years for this to get properly fixed/developed, and my last hope is No Man's Sky.
At least, there will always be Fallout 4 and beer.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 05:46:27 pm »

How are the game's options and to what degree can you customize them?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 01:03:21 am »

I got this to give it a try.

So my first plan: I must reach space as soon and as haphazardly as possible! Cue me ripping most of the escape pod off to reduce weight.

After a couple of minutes of cutting armor off the thing, I hopped in and throttled up - sliding across the ground. Soon I hit the mountain and got a good upward motion going, and as soon as I hit the top of the mountain I flew right on into the atmosphere. Minute or so later and I'm coasting through space.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=501893196

With no steering. Toward the lava planet.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=501893456

And toward the lava. SPLASH!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=501893569

So, uh, I swam through lava. And my escape pod is sitting in it.

Better fix this before it melts (if it can, can ships melt?).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=501893738
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=501894003

There we go. Resting safely. And I only suffered minor horrible burns in the process.

Should I try to survive lava land? Try to fly away again in my amazing ship un-steerable coffin? Start over and play the game like I'm supposed to and make a base on desert world and get actual steering and thrusters installed before venturing into space?

-edit- Oh, I just realized there is no source of oxygen on lava world. Looks like surviving here is going to involve more suffocation than I would have liked.

So I explored a bit. Ate some alien food for a health boost. Found an alien outpost. Dodged the guns to get under it, used my deconstruct tool to break in, found the alien core, and replaced it with the one from the escape pod. I am now the proud owner of an alien outpost.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=501906600

I could probably break down this place and build a new ship, although I would have to die of lack of o2 repeatedly during the process since there is zero o2 in any of the tanks or cargo holds in the base and even with an o2 generator there isn't anywhere to place it since it needs water or ice. I think it's time to start over on the sandy world and at least get some steering in my escape pod before taking off, lol.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:51:40 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 01:51:12 am »

How... how did you hit another planet without steering?

Edit: There isn't water or ice in those fridges?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:53:40 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 01:54:21 am »

Blind luck, apparently. I just flew off into space and happened to be flying toward the lava planet. Slammed right into the lava on it.

And now I have an alien outpost in my control. But I lost my escape pod because I wandered off away from it when I saw the outpost in the distance. And I'm about to suffocate. And there isn't any o2. Why couldn't I have crash landed into an icy planet?

-edit- Nope, the fridges are all empty.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 02:00:26 am »

Why couldn't I have crash landed into an icy planet?

You just managed to land on the most dwarven planet the most dwarven way?  And you're complaining?  What kind of a dwarf are you?

Edit:
Still wondering about this by the way:
How are the game's options and to what degree can you customize them?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5