Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Empyrion: Galactic Survival  (Read 29214 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Empyrion: Galactic Survival
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2016, 12:21:53 am »

Steam has a free weekend of this going if anyone is interested.

I downloaded it and poked around a little bit, compared to space engineers the graphics are not as good but the performance is a lot better (at least on my potato computer). The planet feels a lot smaller but it also feels better somehow, maybe it's the wildlife that consists of more than randomly spawning suicide dogs? I don't know. The animations, or rather lack of animations does make it feel kind of low budget/broken though (for example no animation while flying the jetpack or reloading) but I guess that's part of alpha.

I like that the jetpack is more like a limited jump pack, not an actual jetpack. In SE you can just jetpack straight up into space which is stupid, In empyrion it looks like you actually have to build a spaceship.

I also like the escape pod landing, which gives some sort of explanation as to why you're a spaceman on this empty planet instead of SE where you start in some kind of random planet lander that clearly magically spawned from nothing since it can't fly in space on it's own, and gives you a ton of freebie resources. In empyrion you can at least pretend you came from a ship that blew up or something and it really feels like you're starting from almost nothing.

I'm not sure how I feel about the survival (hunger/thirst) elements. It fits the theme of the game a little better (crashed spaceman vs... whatever SE is) but on the other hand it does not feel like it's particularly hard to kill dinosaurs to make sausages out of so it kind of feels like busywork... I guess maybe if you build a spaceship it becomes something you have to worry about more since you won't be able to shoot random dinosaurs for food.

I don't like how all your tools seem to run on fuel. It's the future, why is my space chainsaw not powered by a rechargeable battery instead of space gasoline? Why does my space mining laser run on space fuel that I have to fine a deposit of ASAP or I'm screwed? I guess maybe it would be too easy if everything was powered by infinite solar power like SE, but it's kind of annoying.

I didn't a chance to build a ship or check out the experience system, I guess at least it has an experience system so maybe there's a penalty for dying (unlike SE where dying is just the fast travel system).

Anyway I plan on checking it out more, it seems like it needs a lot of work but it also seems to have a lot of potential.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2016, 02:39:47 am »

no penalty for getting killed, and you'r backpack drops and stay in the area for a little while

leveling is fast enough, you should be able to build a ship by the time you built your first base just by exploring and farming stuff

at level 3 you get the remover tools, that allow you to scrap stuff salvaging all the components which is essential as the starting planet lacks neodymium and you can find it dismantling pieces of alien equipment

you can find the broken ship you crashed from scattered around the planet btw, it's a good source of high tech components

as you say survival aspect is just a nuisance on akua and becomes an actual mechanic in space. with fridges and stuff you can live off dinosaurs salami, which is nice since canned food takes loads of effort to build and there's no automation to help. at least kava is easy enough to obtain (replenish stamina, just takes seeds + water)

when you hit space there's more of the same - bigger drones that can compete with your spaceship and alien bases and capital vessels to fight, but capital vessel can use turret which changes stuff around a bit. you can also land them on top of enemies which makes taking over poi a little more epic :D

it currently lacks an endgame but it's fun enough as enemies are not pushovers and keep you engaged.

I play this in mp with my brothers and I love it.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2016, 10:42:06 pm »

So, I got gifted a similar recently released game by a friend of mine. However, another friend I have says this game is far better with a lot more to do. And this is only 10 dollars (its on sale right now), instead of...a lot more dollars (did get it for free so can't complain lol).

How is Empyrion though? It looks like a lot of fun from the videos I watched. Kinda similar to Space Engineers from the looks of it, but supposedly a lot better even in alpha. What is there to do? It be just me and myself and I, since my friend only can play singleplayer since his internet he has right now sucks. And I don't like doing multiplayer games with random people unless its an MMO, I prefer doing multiplayer with people I know online or in real life (which isn't many :P).
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2016, 10:46:28 pm »

Man I wish there was a game like this where it doesn't take forever to build anything.

Something between From the Depths and Space Engineers.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:40:08 pm by Neonivek »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2016, 11:41:27 pm »

Yep..and that's because they improved crafting times and they made normal constructors (non-survival ones) auto-craft components. Only Advanced Constructors used to do that, and you'd only get them on end-game, or if you found them on a space-base..which would be mid-game.
Empyrion is really cool because it advances rather quickly, but when it comes to gameplay balance and stuff, it takes a looong while.
Very fun multiplayer, though, and huge potential.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2016, 02:04:31 am »

Game has good pacing and it's pretty fun to discover stuff and blow it up first time around. Just don't expect huge replayability

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2022, 05:13:27 pm »

Just started messing with this, seems kind of fun, think the mission difficulty needs tweaking a bit, there's a massive jump in difficulty when you have to go to some place where there are 3 bombers waiting for you.
it's not as... polished as some of the other games in the genre. 

My biggest beef with it so far though is the devs flat out have refused to enable EAC for proton.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 05:35:30 pm by se5a »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2022, 02:01:56 pm »

Man I wish there was a game like this where it doesn't take forever to build anything.

Something between From the Depths and Space Engineers.

Personally I lost interest in space engineers after sinking 50 hours into it.

Empyrion I lost interest after a similar amount of hours, But I got to explore all the different worlds and started seeing the late game content in that time as well.

If they ever make the exploration and late game stuff more... entertaining/interesting ill be back. Otherwise its just random bases far off in the galaxy, Give me lots of story and stuff to really pull me in.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2022, 08:35:10 pm »

I've... kind of given up after re-trying the mission I was talking about earlier.

I built an HV to take out the 3(4?) bombers, got to the survey site only to find the thing is hovering in mid air, and the only way to get up to it to talk to the dude is to use a proper ship.
went away did some other stuff, got in my SV and decided to swing past to see if the bombers had re-spawned, they hadn't so I messed around for 5 minuets trying to hover close enough to the damn thing to jump across and talk to the dude I was supposed to talk to. (no landing pad on this thing, why not?) talked to him, which triggered more bombers, I then fell off the damn hovering survey tower thingy trying to get back to my SV, which was not equipped to handle the bombers anyway. so there I was on the ground with broken bones and bleeding out with my SV hovering above my head where I couldn't get to it, and bombers circling around.

I just gave up at that point and rage quit.
I think I said something in the chat about the mission being retarded and got an auto strike for that as well.
This is a fairly early mission in the main story arc, not sure if it's a stock mission or if it's part of reforged Eden or something (was playing on a multiplayer server which had some mods) 

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2022, 07:54:00 am »

Empyrion has some fun building stuff but the missions are terrible, especially anything involved first person - enemies with instant hitscan weapons that simply eat your health (no dodging or taking cover, popup and shoot barely works), infinite respawns which make dying and backtracking the only real viable tactics. I was on a replay and once I got to a certain infected capital ship mission I decided to just ignore the main story missions. Still feels a bit of a slog trying to find the mats to make a decent ship with shields to avoid losing blocks all the time.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2022, 06:02:56 pm »

Yeah, the best time I've had with Empyrion was using the Reforged Eden mod, which makes a lot of things a lot more bearable, combat better balanced (and it feels like AI becomes more aggressive), and throws away/bypasses some of silly Empyrion stuff (like allowing you to use Capital Vessel weapons in places where vanilla, for some god-forsaken reason, does not allow you to).

Overall though, Empyrion turned out way jankier than I thought it would be. There's nothing out there quite like it, but I thought it was going to take a much more grounded and simulated direction.. it went for its arcadey and janky feel, with missions bugging out and the characters feeling like they slide rather than walk on floors. I have a hard time sustaining interest after building the first CV. Space combat also turned out to just be a slug-fest with little in terms of..anything. And even on its latest version, enemy ships are still buggy as hell.
As much as I hate to say it, the game's pretty cheap, which fits what it offers.

In any case, I really recommend trying out the mod (it's actually a scenario on the workshop) - it still Empyrion and still janky, but it actually grabbed me for a much longer time than vanilla, and the modders try hard to bypass or outright fix game issues with the limited methods and resources they have.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2022, 04:05:45 am »

I really don't enjoy reforged eden

for one, they force you into foot combat abusing admin core that make poi invulnerable, with foot combat being the jankiest part of empirion

for seconds, RE POIs are chocke full of scripted room entraping you with moster spawning on your back, but because most enemy have hitscan weapons and loot is absolutely not meant to sustain foot combat, it makes the whole experience even more miserable of a grind

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2022, 02:32:03 pm »

Overall though, Empyrion turned out way jankier than I thought it would be. There's nothing out there quite like it,

I mean, Space Engineers is pretty good. Got it's own variety of jank but definitely more polished than Empyrion. Also is way more moddable so does have some pretty impressive lists.

Not to say that it does everything Empyrion does (or vice versa) but would say they are very similar games.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2022, 04:00:45 pm »

I've yet to see a good survival/base building game that doesn't have a lot of jank.
I was really disappointed with ARC not fixing some of the more obvious and annoying stuff, but yet kept pumping out paid expansions.

And yeah I've not played stock storyline, but Reforged Eden seems unfairly brutal. there's the one I mentioned earlier where you have to go see someone on a hovering base which doesn't even have a landing pad.
Then there's the one where you're at a communication station in space, and they spawn pirates at the entrances, had to die a bunch of times for that one. 
and now I've hit a roadblock again where you go to the moon and attack a base, after fighting your way through that it wants you to use a warp portal which dumps you in the middle of a bunch of bad guys, you die before you even know what's happening, then it's impossible to get your gear back. you can find the place it ported you to on the map, but the blocks to get in appear to be all invisible.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 04:06:22 pm by se5a »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2022, 03:25:36 am »

Since they been using community provided POIs that has been an issue. Amateurs thinking gameplay == killing the player creatively.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]