Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fisherdwarves need book lernin's too!  (Read 1436 times)

Chork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fisherdwarves need book lernin's too!
« on: August 17, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »

Hey all, I'm a newcomer to DF and just thought I'd share my first real laugh-out-loud moment from the other night.  I thought fisherdwarves would be smarter!

My miner had lucked out in tunneling -- the underground river was a tile away from where he broke through, and it left my fortress unmolested.  I placed a couple of stone doors at the end of the corridor to make sure it stayed that way.

Before long, I received a message that the river's waters were swelling.  Shortly thereafter, my fisherdwarf decided to go drink some beers and maybe have one of those spicy cigarettes he loves so much, and see if he could catch some fishes for dinner.

I thought to myself, "I wonder if he's safe?" about five seconds before the river opened its maw and swallowed him, and he was swept a good 15 tiles downstream.

He swam valiantly against the tide (or maybe he didn't, appearing not to be the sharpest knife in the drawer) randomly and in all directions, but in vain.  His body was swept away forever -- although, on an upshot, that kept me from having to deal with the miasma / proper burial issue.

Wouldn't (shouldn't?!) a fisherdwarf know that he was in a flash-flood area, and if the waters were rising, to GTFO?  Maybe that's just why he wasn't a mechanic instead...

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fisherdwarves need book lernin's too!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »

Dwarves do not understand floods. Being swept away is a commonplace activity. Hopefully with the new version (with swimming), they'll be better equipped to handle such problems.

Of course, this also means that enemies are going to be swimming across your moats. Elephants will get a bonus to this because they can use their trunks as snorkels.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »

God damn it I hate fisherdwarves, I mean it's partly my fault as I knew this was possible but my current fort is on a no-trade location which means no immigration, which means when my dwarf took a long walk through the river during a flood it did not help my building  :( lost an eighth of my skillset.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »

The best way to save your dwarves from dieing via blooding is to put bridges down stream so they can catch onto them when they decide to take a swim.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 03:13:00 pm »

I haven't lost a single dwarf to flooding in a long time - the only way to even look at the river is from a bridge protected by rails, and tree farms and such get their water via floodgate.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>I haven't lost a single dwarf to flooding in a long time - the only way to even look at the river is from a bridge protected by rails, and tree farms and such get their water via floodgate.</STRONG>

Can you fish off a railed bridge?

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 05:33:00 pm »

Not sure if you can fish off a railed in bridge. As a note, I have not lost a dwarf to the river with the bridges downstream ever.

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 08:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ben:
<STRONG>

Can you fish off a railed bridge?</STRONG>

I don't think I've ever seen a fisherdwarf fish off of any bridge. They all just use the banks of the river to my knowledge.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 09:06:00 pm »

I've seen mine sit on bridges and fish.  It's actually kinda cool when it happens, if rare.  Of course, he may have been sitting on a tile that was on dry land and next to some water.  I doubt they'll be able to used railed bridges, though, if you're referring to the two extra bridges on either side of the main bridge; those're pretty much walls, thus the safety.
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

SnowWhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 10:40:00 pm »

This fortress I've built lots of "safety" bridges and it mostly helps.  Even some animals were washed off one bridge and up on another.  However, when a dwarf is getting water to give an injured comrade, he or she always heads for the farthest bridge.  I'm not sure why far away water is preferable.  Unless they're using health care as a reason to go for a stroll.
quot;...we literally tore a hole in the mountain, and slept in the mud for THREE YEARS while we waited for these tower caps to grow, and you come dancing in here, clutching your grass and berries like you''re Armok''s Sodding Gift To Dwarves, and tell us