Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harder Farming Masterwork... how do you cope ?  (Read 2747 times)

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
Harder Farming Masterwork... how do you cope ?
« on: July 25, 2015, 12:22:59 pm »

I had 3 big farm plots (with fertilizer) with plump helmets and due to the harder farming they need 4 seasons to grow and were not nearly enough to keep my fortress of 30 dwarfs fed. I embarked with 50 meat and struggled throughout the whole thing with food... can someone give me pointers how they survive the early starvation with harder farming due to the excessive growing times ?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Harder Farming Masterwork... how do you cope ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 12:26:04 pm »

Fish, hunt, or trade for food during the first year.

... plant gathering can also be pretty effective once you have more guys -- sometimes I feel like there's not time for it at the very beginning with 7, but by the time there's 30 you can gather lots!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:49:42 pm by smakemupagus »

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 01:07:01 pm »

Smaller plots. Use dfhack's autofarm.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 01:27:42 pm »

I had 3 big farm plots (with fertilizer) with plump helmets and due to the harder farming they need 4 seasons to grow and were not nearly enough to keep my fortress of 30 dwarfs fed. I embarked with 50 meat and struggled throughout the whole thing with food... can someone give me pointers how they survive the early starvation with harder farming due to the excessive growing times ?

Plump helmet men. You can make absurd amounts of plump helmet man wine from even a child. They're kinda dangerous to keep around, but they let you completely sidestep harder farming. Surface crops only take two seasons to grow, even if they can only be planted in spring, so that could help too. Ideally, if you want to grow plump helmets, you'd have four farm plots and get one started in each season. After you deal with the first year[Easy enough with a low population], you'd always have a harvest coming in no matter what time of year it is.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 04:35:21 pm »

I deal with it by turning it off.
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 06:11:28 pm »

I don't understand, whats the point of smaller plots ?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 10:51:43 pm »

If the plants take 4x longer to grow, just make 4x times the farmplots and plant 4x the amount of plants. You will get the same amount of plants in the end.

I usually dont farm at all. Food comes from things you kill. And caravans.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 01:36:24 am »

I tend to bring 6-10 hens and 2 roosters with me, and separeate them into two rooms, with plenty of nest boxes. I forbid one of the rooms completely after the birds are in, and they multiply with FPS-crushing speed. The other 3-5 hens produce enough eggs to feed my starting seven even with reduced egg laying.
The hatchlings are eithe for slaughter or for the expansion of the egg industry.

Also, use bees if you have them in your biome. Cheap, easy food source.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 06:31:56 am »

I use surplus ash from burning corpses to make fertilizer and increase the yields for my food-crops. Chop up your enemies into enough pieces and you can end up with a lot of ashes. (The reaction treats each body part as if it were a full corpse, so for the purposes of making fertilizer it's more efficient to hack everything apart.)
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 02:15:25 pm »

I use surplus ash from burning corpses to make fertilizer and increase the yields for my food-crops. Chop up your enemies into enough pieces and you can end up with a lot of ashes. (The reaction treats each body part as if it were a full corpse, so for the purposes of making fertilizer it's more efficient to hack everything apart.)

Thats completely new to me, could you elaborate or give me a link how that works ?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 02:21:59 pm »

He builds a crematory to burn bodyparts to ash, uses the ash to make fertilizer. It's a vanilla DF features and not mod related, it would work in the base game as well. The only new part is that ability to burn corpses/bodyparts, while vanilla DF only allows to do that with wood.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 04:10:55 am »

I don't understand, whats the point of smaller plots ?

I misspoke. I've been using 40.24 recently.