Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan issues.  (Read 851 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Caravan issues.
« on: August 18, 2007, 11:11:00 am »

It is known that caravan guards will chase wild animals. Well, here's the story.

After one year's hard work, my new fortress of 8 dwarves got plenty of food and wine. When the dwarf caravan came, I realized I didn't have anything valuable to trade. While they were waiting in the trade depot, my dwarves carried some goods to them, including a barrel of rotten turtle, a barrel of wine and a rock block(yeah, don't laugh). I traded that turtle barrel for some raw turtle, but their mules just couldn't carry that barrel of wine(block is heavier, so...).

I quickly designed a jewler's workshop, and sent my metalsmith to cut some rough gems, including a diamond. I traded that diamond for all their goods, and offer the other 2 gems.

After the caravan said 'goodbye', I started to complete the roads for human wagons. When I scrolled to the left border of the map, I saw a merchant's corpse covered with blood and his limbs. The 3 gems lied just next to him. A trail of blood were left below the imcompleted road, where I found a corpse of one of their guard several screens away. His iron battle axe were thrown some tiles away.

Finally I found the murderers, 3 gorillas. One of them bled to dead I believe.

[ August 18, 2007: Message edited by: utunnels ]

===============================

Pooh, soon I found the meat they sold too me was all rotten! Maybe they stayed at the depot for too long time. Pretty fair trade.

[ August 18, 2007: Message edited by: utunnels ]

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan issues.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 05:07:00 pm »

I love it when the dwarven guards get themselves killed. More meat (from their prey) and weapons + armor that fits dwarves.

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 05:15:00 pm »

When the caravans get killed, you also don't get as much immigration anymore.  That allows a faster game, you can trade with other civilizations and still get a little trickle of immigration, unlike glacial maps.

Sometimes I put my trade depot in my "farm plot" room so I can take care of it myself.   ;)  
There's one bonus to farming with floodgates!

But I can hardly believe that you sacrificed 3 gems.  Did you mean to get a lot more immigration?  Because you're not going to now that they're dead, unless one of the traders made it out alive (and then you might not get credit for the gems).

Isn't it silly that raw gems weigh as much as stone doors?

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 07:13:00 pm »

You can just kill the immigrants.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!