Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Games with thunderous cannonfire?  (Read 8665 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Games with thunderous cannonfire?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 08:02:04 pm »

World of Warships has some very impressive cannonfire.  I'm not sure how exactly they did the water physics but it really adds to the feeling of power.  A battleship's broadside displaces the water on the side of the ship and the shells kick up huge blasts of water when they hit.  Unfortunately the ship destruction isn't nearly as nice.

In the same vein War Thunder's tank mode has very sexy cannon effects.  The big ones sound really nice, you can hear the crack of the gun and the thunder roll back.
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 08:06:26 pm »

Ooh, yeah, I'm just waiting until Warships is far enough in development for them to start implementing shiny graphical touches on ship destruction.  The guns are already pretty satisfying to shoot.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 08:14:03 pm »

Ooh yeah, I always forget that it's still in beta and a lot of the stuff I don't like about it is probably placeholder. The whole damage model really is kind of disappointing.  It's just regular hit vs citadel hit, it's no better than headshots in a shooter.

Except when you win the shit lottery and someone detonates your magazine, which due to the rest of the game always feels more like random bullshit than realistic shipfightery.
Shoes...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 08:16:45 pm »

To specify, I'm not looking for games with cannon/artillery options that are powerful, though that is nice, the total war games place a huge emphasis on overlooking the battle and watching pawns.  What I want more is the deep, bass, thundering CHUNK when you fire the gun, that makes you certain that you're not just throwing more lead into the battle, but that when you pull the trigger it's an EVENT!

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 08:21:45 pm »

I'm not really recommending it, but Rampart was actually rather fun as an artillery/tetris combo game. There's probably been some remakes of it over the years. For some reason the cannon sounds of that have always stuck in my head as being iconic of any artillery game.

Sorry, just watched the tetris race on SGDQ, and thought "That would be cool with guns". And it was. Annoying, frantic, but cool.

It's a game. Have fun.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 08:23:21 pm »

Fistful of frags did a nice job with its gun play. ( especially the colt walker)

Edit: people on the internet like RAGEs guns as well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:32:41 pm by choppy »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 08:26:23 pm »

Tau Cannon from Half Life 1.
wubwubwubWubWubWUbWUBWUBUWBUW CAHSOOM

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 08:34:44 pm »

I'm not even sure if a new Armored Core game has come out since then, but in AC5, there is a series of ultimate weapons that can change a battle instantly, be it a small nuclear missile, a 360 degree barrage of death lasers, or a gigantic railgun of death that can oneshot entire groups of enemies. There is also a rocket propelled sledge hammer, and drill made of laser chainsaws, but those aren't as explosive.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 08:37:09 pm »

MIRV nuke launcher from Fallout 3? (or was it New Vegas?).

So wasteful, but so pretty.

Any FPS game with a certain amount of gibs in it probably has something nice though.

Even any non-FPS games. It was always worthwhile blowing an airstrike's cost in Syndicate 1 American Revolt, just for the awesome jet sounds and kabooms afterwards. Not exactly artillery, but you certainly pressed a button and something impressive happened. It sort of helped that miniguns and rocket launchers were your basic grunt weapons though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:43:34 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 09:06:57 pm »

Warzone 2100 has several lines of artillery weapons, including cannons and multi-missile batteries.  Its also open source, and free.

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 10:10:02 pm »

There's a mod for Company of Heroes that places the game in 1918. Fend off waves of soldiers using explosive, chemical and quicklime shells.

Supreme Commander has a lot of artillery, or rather, the scale demands large artillery installations. From small (comparatively, they're still bigger than a 6 story building) single installations to massive, gatling gun like mobile artillery. They're not too thuddy though, kind of a laser pew. Big explosions however.

"Men of War: Assault Squad 2" is a game similar to "Company of Heroes" but it's more detailed. Artillery can flatten buildings, trees and rocks, possibly also make craters. I have seen in the "German Soldiers Mod" that it adds a wide selection of artillery, including the "Long Tom" 155mm.

The "Brutal Doom" mod has good feedback. The sounds of the weapons are very loud and heavy. Clear a room with a single rocket and walk through the newly painted walls.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:20:59 pm by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 10:18:14 pm »

Guns of Icarus? Floating platforms of cannony goodness.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 12:04:52 am »

World of Warships.
Play a battleship and unleash a full salvo at a cruiser.
They pray to any god you believe in that at least one shel hits and ruins his day by hitting the citadel dealing downright stupid ammounts of damage.

Earth 2150
There are artillerry guns possible to build and those are the serious base leveling kind of artillery guns.

Spring engine games
Almost every game on this engine has some sort of super long range artillery gun. Sometimes even using nuclear shells

Supreme Commander 1-2
Same as Spring engine games.

Warzone 2100
You start with mortar pits and get progressively better rtillery units as time goes on... altho personally they feel kinda weak even if they are rather effective. Graphical limitations i guess.

Metal Fatigue
You can build a rail launcher and specialize it in various kinds of ammo fron flinging recon poles to earthshakers that are specialized in damaging structures and units hiding in the cave layer.

And finally...
Umm...
Furry Pirates.
A Pen and paper RPG that apparently does a good job at simulating the effects of a 48 cannon barrage hitting a wooden ship from 40 meters away.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:12:07 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 03:14:42 am »

Guns of Icarus? Floating platforms of cannony goodness.
Oh yes, that's a good one. The Heavy Hwacha is so immensely satisfying to hit with. The other weapons like cannons and shit are good too, but they're not quite as good as that 20 rocket barrage.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 03:51:42 am »

Star Ruler lets you make ships as big as you want, and their guns scale up with them. As the scale and tech levels increase you tend to go from "A-10 in space" to "Oops, I didn't mean to blow up that planet". The visuals and sounds the scale too, but not as well as seeing the suffices for numbers go from "k" to "M" to "G".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6