Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Games with thunderous cannonfire?  (Read 8676 times)

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games with thunderous cannonfire?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 06:08:08 am »

Total Annihilation.
with a half decent sub-woofer.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 06:13:52 am »

Amazed nobody has mentioned brutal doom yet. Honestly, when you pull the trigger on the rifle, it feels like something. More so the dual wielded rifles. Even more so the shogun. Extra more so the double barrelled sawn off shot gun... and oh my god, the chaingun. The chaingun feels just so... violent as you mow down rooms of enemies.
This is a blank sig.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2015, 06:17:16 am »

Whoops. Somehow I missed that. Apologies, my bad.
This is a blank sig.

Uristits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 07:07:12 am »

Men of war assault squad 2

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 07:24:34 am »

There's some A-10 simulators around.  Probably a little heavier lifting than most of the games here but you can't really outcannon the GAU-8.

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrt
Shoes...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2015, 07:29:44 am »

I know its had a lot of (deservedly) negative press/opinion, but MechWarrior Online is definitely the one with the best gun thunder in my opinion. If you get the heavy AC20s (or even two/four 10s) it really feels like you're firing off massive artillery.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 10:37:25 am »

The Combat Mission series from Battlefront?
It gives a strong impression how devastating cannon/artillery fire was (and is).
It has the nice added touch, that it models the sound delay, so you see distant explosions, and then hear the boom later depending on the distance.

E.g. Fortress Italy.
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=295&Itemid=509
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 10:40:33 am »

I used to play Day of Defeat before they remake it using Source. The nazi K98 rifle had an amazing feel to it. Every time I shot someone I  got that feeling of "Okay, THAT guy is not getting back up so soon".
After the remake it wouldn't pass the "meh" point for me.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2015, 10:54:05 am »

If you can get it running ruing with all the various patches, Reign of the Dark Gods for Medieval 2 (a Warhammer Fantasy mod) is right up that alley. The empire has a cannon fetish. I mean look at this sonofabitch. Pic is very old though, graphics and UI are redone now.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?525138-RodG-1-5-Easy-and-painfree-Installation

That said you'll also want to get the sandbox submod working if you don't like AI doomstacks spawning constantly because everyone who plays it mastered m2 years ago and cant be challenged otherwise.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2015, 11:09:22 am »

Dawn of War I do not like the artillery mechanics even with the UA mod. The game was meant for more dakka and slashy things.

Company of Heroes I would highly recommend especially for the British faction and their 25lb guns. You can always hear that subtle boom in the background of artillery firing and hear the shell whistling while coming close. The effects on the maps are great, you will make craters and blow up enemy troops to chunks. The best though was that the Captain commander unit can initiate the Victor Target ability which fires all available 25lb guns and mobile artillery to a targeted position, fucking glorious to dump 8 guns as a final fuck you to the enemy.

Company of Heroes 2 is planning to add the british back but I do not know if they will continue with the artillery support.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2015, 12:16:40 pm »

For hefty rifles Fallout: New Vegas has an anti-tank gun and ground-to-ground missile launchers

EDIT:
And a shoulder mounted teleforce cannon.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2015, 01:03:03 pm »

Metal Fatigue
You can build a rail launcher and specialize it in various kinds of ammo fron flinging recon poles to earthshakers that are specialized in damaging structures and units hiding in the cave layer.
I bought this game when I was little, installed it on my dad's computer, and it would run fair but get all sorts of bugs, so I returned it.  I've been looking for it ever since, and have been unable to get a copy onto my computer.  If you have this game I must know your secrets!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2015, 02:44:59 pm »

That reminds me; Fallout New Vegas also has a shoulder mounted railgun. Also, Fallout 3 has all these same guns as well, except for the anti-tank rifle.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2015, 03:13:36 pm »

Metal Fatigue
You can build a rail launcher and specialize it in various kinds of ammo fron flinging recon poles to earthshakers that are specialized in damaging structures and units hiding in the cave layer.
I bought this game when I was little, installed it on my dad's computer, and it would run fair but get all sorts of bugs, so I returned it.  I've been looking for it ever since, and have been unable to get a copy onto my computer.  If you have this game I must know your secrets!

I used to have it, from Home of the Underdogs, way back when they actually had games to download.
that was several computers ago though, no idea where/if I've still got it.
You could try vote for it on Good Old Games. It's got >5k votes there already.
but yeah, I remember it being buggy as well. It did have some innovative gameplay though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6