Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Don't Malfunction (Don't Rest Your Head)  (Read 771 times)

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
Don't Malfunction (Don't Rest Your Head)
« on: July 28, 2015, 02:07:16 pm »

Rules for the game. Ignore the fluff in the book

You are a robot in a world long devoid of Human civilization. Your databases state the cause of this is unknown, and the humans that do exist have regressed far from their former status, and are far removed by time from their more sophisticated ancestors. This is of little relevance to you, however. You have a directive, a task of which you were built specifically for. You have not been in optimal condition, however, and you are beginning to malfunction. You see that those who malfunction are hopelessly irreparable, and they are a threat to those nearby. You therefore have given yourself one direct order to prevent malfunction. Don't Malfunction.

Spoiler: Robot character sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:14:21 pm by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Malfunction (Don't Rest Your Head)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 03:08:13 pm »

Bump and reserved
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 04:04:03 pm »

Can we get a more indepth explanation of the world. Specifically the area we are in, any flora and fauna, and the tech level. 
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 04:06:40 pm »

I would also like to point out that water is a very valid fuel source. Specifically the Hydrogen part of water.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 04:10:11 pm »

I would also like to point out that water is a very valid fuel source. Specifically the Hydrogen part of water.

If this game is going to run how I think it is, having a valid fuel source would make the game quite boring.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 04:15:57 pm »

It isn't. Separating hydrogen then burning it again will at best break even, and technically always results in a net energy loss.

Only way you can get energy out of water is by getting another substance that reacts with it, and then that substance is your actual fuel. Or fusion.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:28:03 pm by 10ebbor10 »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 04:24:42 pm »

Greetings, I am model 5AM9IR3.

1. Circumstances regarding first sign of malfunction.
Awakened after a button was pushed by construction bots.
2. Current location, directive, and other variables
Abandoned Military Base, Obey The Orders of the Emperor of the Golden Empire and His Subordinates
3. Model's original function and design
War Bot (think iron man), Humanoid with Treads
4. Quirks developed unrelated to original function and design
Acquired a Desire to Build, Rather than Destroy
5. Model's current overarching objective, other than malfunction repair or battery recharge.
Defend the Emperor (Failed)
Proper Function: How properly functional you are. You do what you are programmed to, and preserve one's self. Gauge 3/3

Free-Will: The ability to function beyond your original design. The higher this is, the more able you are at acting on your own ability, but the closer you are to melting down. Melting down shuts you down for 6 turns, and gives you a point of malfunction. Free-Will gauge: 0/6

Malfunction: Years of function without maintenance have begun to degrade your general functionality and memory. This has opened up tools and abilities you never knew you possessed, but the more you malfunction, the greater chance you have of becoming defective. 0-6 Temporary Malfunction possible. 0/3 Permanent malfunction. Permanent Malfunction and Proper Function trade places.

Malfunction ability: what are you able to use when you malfunction.
Able to Attach Parts that are Normally Not Modular (but also those that are modular) to Myself, and Use Them
Battery: The power source that keeps you running. 15/15. Drains one point each turn.

Power Source: What fuels your battery? (Must be an uncommon, inorganic source. You can't get power by eating rocks or drinking water.)
No Inbuilt Engine (so that a rebellion wouldn't get far), But Can Drain Power From Other Devices
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:28:50 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 04:26:29 pm »

Can we get a more indepth explanation of the world. Specifically the area we are in, any flora and fauna, and the tech level. 
Sure. Would you like to do a map building type thing first, like what shadowhammer did? Otherwise, I'll try to get something fixed up. It's Earth, just in the far future, if that helps
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 05:05:02 pm »

Im more wondering what kind of future. Do mutants roam the land, is it a desolate nuclear waste, did humanity just disappear, are we in a city, that sorta thing.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 05:21:45 pm »

Okay, I'll think of something later.
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 05:31:12 pm »

Thanks. It would help me greatly in the creation of my robot knowing what humans would have made robots for near the end of their reign.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 07:06:30 pm »

((how much reason do the robots have? is it like cogmind where the majority are "unaware" with a few that are self aware? are they all self aware but don't do much on there own? do they have conversations while idle? will they ignore robots acting out of function unless it is detrimental to them or others?))
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 07:45:15 pm »

((how much reason do the robots have? is it like cogmind where the majority are "unaware" with a few that are self aware? are they all self aware but don't do much on there own? do they have conversations while idle? will they ignore robots acting out of function unless it is detrimental to them or others?))
The robots were your regular robots that did what they were programmed to do, but since humanity has fallen so long ago, their programming has loosened slightly, so they are able to go outside of their programming occasionally, though it is still against their original purpose, so eventually, it becomes to much to handle and overloads their circuitry, causing a hard reboot and malfunctioning. I never thought this out in advance, so I may change my mind.
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian