Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fix barrels and bins  (Read 2467 times)

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fix barrels and bins
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:10:21 am »

What it says on the tin. For real.

1. Have barrels and bins left in their piles instead of them being picked up for hauling jobs (which would stop the job cancellations)
2. Not having stockpiles insist on keeping an empty barrel on hand. (which is a major annoyance with the number of small booze piles that I like to make)
3. Lye & milk buckets should be dumped into barrels, not placed in them.(again would stop job cancellations)
4. Artifacts don't belong in bins! (or at least there should be an easy way to get them out, but seriously, they belong on pedestals not in bins)

While QSP solve all problems except for #2 above, I sometimes like to try to play a game the way it was intended.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Fix barrels and bins
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 08:38:56 pm »

I thought [1] was removed with multi-hauling, unless they're still used for stockpile links.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 03:32:56 am »

Lye is already fixed (for new version).

hemperor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 05:16:48 am »

i think the artifact thing is senseless! but would be cool if you can put then in some kinda of stands and something to put them to exhibition, but not something automatic and mandatory, and the thing when the dwarfs put empty bins and barrels in brand new, never used piles for no reason, i would like to know why this happens.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 10:59:15 am »

I thought [1] was removed with multi-hauling, unless they're still used for stockpile links.

They still cause job cancellations, so it doesn't seem like it.

Lye is already fixed (for new version).

Which new version? Forthcoming? It isn't fixed in 40.24

i think the artifact thing is senseless! but would be cool if you can put then in some kinda of stands and something to put them to exhibition, but not something automatic and mandatory, and the thing when the dwarfs put empty bins and barrels in brand new, never used piles for no reason, i would like to know why this happens.

I use the pedestals from modestmod. If you aren't using them, artifacts in a pile will still add to the room value,so the thing to do is make a 1 tile pile for that good where you want it. Where I ran into an issue with it was I bought a bin of leather from traders (I had no bins in my fortress prior) and after the bin got emptied it found its way into a goods QSP that I had forgotten to set max bins to 0, which also had an artifact that wound up in the bin and it was a real bitch to get it out.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:04:50 am by ldog »
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 11:41:11 am »

Multi-hauling helped quite a bit. There's less cancellations now.
Lye fix is quite clearly in the dev diary for the upcoming release.
Artifacts are fairly easily removed from unwanted bins to desirable positions with quality controls (just have to wait for Dwarves to get round to shifting everything around).

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 05:00:13 pm »

I use the pedestals from modestmod. If you aren't using them, artifacts in a pile will still add to the room value,so the thing to do is make a 1 tile pile for that good where you want it.

Stockpiled items do not add to room value. If the item can be built into any type of construction then it can be used to increase room value.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 12:10:44 pm »

Multi-hauling helps tremendously, but it doesn't stop the issue entirely. A n gmherbalist will dump 30 stacks of plants onto your pile, then another will grab a barrel to gather them up. It's the same with seeds I think.

The real annoyance for me is the clothing industry. Every time a thread is spun, some drunken idiot snags the entire bin full of thread to pick up that one piece of pig tail, causing the weaver to spaz out. Every. Farking. Time.

At least with textiles, you can forgo stockpiles completly, and just use the workshops directly as storage. I just build all 3->4 in a row of farmer->loom->(dryers->)clothier. There does need to be a dye stockpile adjacent to the dye shop, but I keep it small and feed it from a larger stockpile.

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 03:21:09 pm »

Basically, multi-hauling plus bins and barrels causes loads and loads of cancellation spam, because everything useful is getting hauled as often as not.

When hauling a single item, containers should not be used to haul it.  If there's one available to put it in, great!  But don't take the entire bin to the new pig tail thread and back again; take the thread to the bin, and be done.  This goes double if you're already near the item, triple if you're already holding it.

If multiple items can be hauled in, don't take a partly-full container out to them; take an empty one instead.  Once back at the stockpile, if the new items can fit into an existing container, dump them all into it, leaving the hauled container empty for another hauling job.

This might be simplified by letting each stockpile have a dedicated hauling container, replacing the empty one that stockpiles currently like to have.  While the stockpile has a dedicated hauling container, only one dwarf can use it at a time, but can collect multiple items at once, and won't disrupt dwarves trying to collect something from the stockpile.  If the hauling container can't be emptied, undesignate it, and designate a new container if available, as long as that wouldn't put the stockpile over its limit.  (If there aren't any available, this would be a good time for an announcement, though a self-filling empty container stockpile should make that less likely.  It might also help to check first whether one of the stockpile's current containers can be emptied by combining it with another.)

Stockpiles with wheelbarrows should use them instead of hauling containers, multi-hauling as many items as will fit in the wheelbarrow.  (Dumping the load into empty bins might be trickier than it sounds, but shouldn't be too hard.)

A stockpile with neither a wheelbarrow nor a designated container, because it don't use any, because it's hit its limit, or because there aren't enough containers to go around, can have items hauled in one by one, as if bins didn't exist, using many dwarves at once if necessary.
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 08:57:25 pm »

@breadman
They don't even need bins for multi-item hauling in the latest version. Presumably they carry it in their beards.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 12:25:28 am »

I'm certain there's a mod that does this.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 09:36:54 am »

@breadman
They don't even need bins for multi-item hauling in the latest version. Presumably they carry it in their beards.

Indeed, I've counted and dorfs easily bring back 30+ stacks of plants after an herbalism trip. This is often at least 100 individual plants, and could easily tip 200-300 with a more skilled dorf.  Since one unit of food is one meal and dorfs only eat 8 times a year... That is the yearly caloric needs of 25 dorfs held in the beard of one.  BEARD POWER!

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 07:43:22 pm »

So hey sorry for the blatant necro, haven't played in a while, started playing again with new version.
Afraid to abandon QSP but has any of this been addressed? (between 40.24 and 43.03)
I see the ever useless insistence of an empty barrel in any piles that accept them has not (point 2).
The rest I'm too leery to abandon proven QSP designs to deal with the horrors (going to the circus is less frightening) of bins and job cancellation spam to find out.

Again the barrels...am I the only person who this annoys the fuck out of?
I keep prepared meals in only a few large piles so I can suck it up and deal with it, but booze piles go on every floor, sometimes multiple piles per floor.
That's a lot of barrels and space going to waste. I just don't see the advantage of hoarding an empty container on the off chance that it might be needed.
Especially on a booze only pile where you will NEVER need that empty barrel. Maybe if they put mugs in the barrel instead of leaving them all over the floor, but then I'm sure they would just insist on grabbing another empty barrel anyway...orange barrels, orange barrels, staring back at me!

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 05:46:50 am »

Idog, if you don't want a spare barrel in each foodpile, watch when you create the pile, there's an option to keep minimum a number of empty barrels (or bins), which you can set to 0. Cannot be changed after the pile is created. Good for food piles, bad for booze-only piles.

Bins basically never move any more, once they have stuff in them in the correct pile, especially if you set an empty bin for the pile, but you can also cut back the bin movement discounts in the init files in older versions, setting it to 0 stops them moving too. The new orders also greatly reduce cancel spam of all sorts, unless you want to see it to remind you to cut some more trees or dig out some more stone or whatever other little chain needs a new raw material introduced.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 08:39:34 am »

Idog, if you don't want a spare barrel in each foodpile, watch when you create the pile, there's an option to keep minimum a number of empty barrels (or bins), which you can set to 0. Cannot be changed after the pile is created. Good for food piles, bad for booze-only piles.

Bins basically never move any more, once they have stuff in them in the correct pile, especially if you set an empty bin for the pile, but you can also cut back the bin movement discounts in the init files in older versions, setting it to 0 stops them moving too. The new orders also greatly reduce cancel spam of all sorts, unless you want to see it to remind you to cut some more trees or dig out some more stone or whatever other little chain needs a new raw material introduced.

No, it does not work that way. The reserve is global, it has nothing to do with the pile. If you go and set it and then go to another pile, you will notice that it is the same number. It's useful to ensure free barrels for booze, bin reserve is of course even more useless than bins themselves.

You can set a max on barrels and bins on a per pile basis, but all that does is set the max. And of course on a booze pile the max needs to be every tile.

I am happy to say lye buckets get dumped into barrels and then still used properly to make soap, which is good because the new job manager doesn't count lye in buckets and so kept making more buckets of lye when I setup the job for 1 max 1.

Pages: [1] 2